RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

Clueless EcoDiesel Owners

24K views 105 replies 46 participants last post by  Captainmal 
#1 ·
This week I spoke to 3 ED owners that were not aware of the VB1 Fire recall. I took the time to educate them. They were 2015, 2016 and 2019. I guess this should not be a surprise.

They are all calling the dealers and FCA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#98 ·
The other thing you have to keep in mind - this issue may, or may not have actually ever happened to a real vehicle. A design team may have gotten a plugged EGR cooler that had signs that the plastic was starting to melt in that area - and decided that fire was a potential outcome. Or, they may have had several burn to the ground because of it. The NHTSA number on your notice, will allow you to review the NHTSA data that caused the recall to determine the severity -

Ford owners were panicked over the pretensioner recall - you had to grasp the concept that the NHTSA had about 30 cases at the time the 19s07 carpet tape recall was issued - a “statistical anomaly” when you realize there were 4.25 million trucks on the road by that time, and probably 10% or more had been crashed based on national averages.

As a technician for a living - we see some problems repeatedly, and we have to kind of remind ourselves that when you look at the overall picture, failure rates total, in a 60,000 mile warranty period, only 12-14% of owners ever have a problem period. It’s literally 120-140 repairs per 1000 vehicles. If you do 2 repairs per vehicle, only 7% of owners have a problem.

I can’t speculate as to why this issue is taking so long to resolve. Could be challenges in the design phase, testing phase, or even simply that the COVID outbreak has stopped the supply chain for the last several months. But know absolutely that IF it were considered a safety risk to the occupants of the vehicle, a do not drive would have been issued.
Also know, that IF this bothers you terribly, you should make that clear to your dealer, and then to FCA if the dealer does not put those fears to rest.

#99 ·
I talked to a customer yesterday that has a 2018. I asked him if he's had the VB1 recall performed for the EGR cooler replacement.
He said "luckily it doesn't apply to me because mine being a 2018 has the FIAT motor".
Yikes!

#100 ·
This week I spoke to 3 ED owners that were not aware of the VB1 Fire recall. I took the time to educate them. They were 2015, 2016 and 2019. I guess this should not be a surprise.

The 2019 had the new egr cooler installed they sat in storage until they were all replaced

The 2019 already have the new egr cooler from the factory

#106 ·
Once the profit is made on the sale it's all up to parts and service for the income. Let them die and soon buyers are back spending money for another new one.

I kept my old Cummins a full 10 years and near 1/4 million miles. The Ecodiesel lasted but 1/2 of that in my hands. Then FCA made the money again on me with my new Cummins. All probably a form of a business strategy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.