RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for cold air intake recommendations for a 2015 Ram 1500 eco diesel . Any and all information would be helpful . Thank you

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
What are you looking for specifically? The stock unit is a cold air intake. Aftermarkets all pull air from a hot engine bay and don't increase power. Plus the stock filter is very very good.

Only thing you may gain is more noise.

·
Super Moderator
3,078 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Might not be the answer you were looking for but Shaggn is right. Aftermarket filter setups especially for a forced induction (turbo charged) engine typically only add heat from the engine bay a negative for power creation and reduce filtration another negative. Yes a guase filter may reduce a little of the paper filtration restriction but that was already easily overcome by the turbo. Many add some induction noise which some see as a positive other see it as a negative. A tune would be the only practical way to add measurable performance. After that a little performance could be freed up by opening up the exhaust track but not much as it’s still not a major restriction.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Aftermarkets all pull air from a hot engine bay and don't increase power. Plus the stock filter is very very good.
The AFE Magnum Force intake can pull cool air from the stock wheel well location or hot air from engine bay depending on if you keep its lid on or off. (see pics)

AFE claims more HP and Flow per Dyno. That's up to you if you believe them.

Per my own UOA's and their Silicon levels the AFE dry filter works just as well as the stock filter. (note: the blue filter in the pic is theor oiled filter. I have their grey dry version)

Yes, it will increase turbo noise. Post AEM I now get turbo bark from back pressure when I let off the throttle quickly after accelerating quickly. I don't have a lead foot so I've only experienced that while off roading.

Attachments

·
Registered
252 Posts
The increase in HP and TQ is in a fairly narrow band of RPM. I'm no engineer nor a mechanic but that's not enough for me to make such a change. Some are on a MPG quest, some on a HP/TQ quest, and others are on a bling quest. But, to each his own.

·
Registered
790 Posts
If I recall correctly, GDE did some air flow tests and concluded that you could not improve the OEM air filter system. There may products that increase air flow but the limitation is the turbo, it can't use more air flow.

·
Registered
130 Posts
look at the run conditions listed at the bottom of the HP/Torque chart. It was 14 degrees cooler when they ran the test with their intake, humidity was considerably different too. I don't know if that alone would cause that much difference in the outcome, but it shows this is not an apples to apples comparison

·
Registered
561 Posts
If I recall correctly, GDE did some air flow tests and concluded that you could not improve the OEM air filter system. There may products that increase air flow but the limitation is the turbo, it can't use more air flow.
I know you said Air Filter System but here's AFE's air filter flow test results. (see attached)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
So the AFE flows more than stock, but does the stock flow enough?

If the stock air filter is not a limiting factor, then it doesn't matter how well a flowing filter you put on it, it wont change anything.
This...

The Eco may not get even close to pulling enough air to hit the stock limitation

At the end of the day, ask urself what you want specifically... If it's more power efficiency and longevity, your money is far better spent elsewhere.

Afe is getting 270 to 300. That's nearly half a GDE or PPEI tune. You will be much happier ponyin up the extra cash for the tune. Waaaaay better on all fronts.

·
Registered
44 Posts
This...

The Eco may not get even close to pulling enough air to hit the stock limitation

At the end of the day, ask urself what you want specifically... If it's more power efficiency and longevity, your money is far better spent elsewhere.

Afe is getting 270 to 300. That's nearly half a GDE or PPEI tune. You will be much happier ponyin up the extra cash for the tune. Waaaaay better on all fronts.
Agree with this 100%, but I purchased and AFE because I enjoy the louder whistle. I haven't put it on yet, but got one for $245. I know it provides ZERO advantage compared to the stock system, but it sounds better to me. I've always been the type of person to waste money for no reason.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Agreed. HP increase claims with cold air intakes are all crap. OEM air intakes are very carefully done to ensure that engines are getting plenty of air. It's silly to imagine that an OEM is going to screw up something as basic as "too restrictive air filter" in their endless pursuit of good magazine reviews and marketing bullet points.

Cold. On a dyno you can get into a situation where the intake air is a mite warm, but on the road at any reasonable speed you've got all sorts of cold air coming into the intake. So maybe you might see a bit of a difference on the dyno, but not in real life.

Amount of air. OEM air filters are plenty big. I race BMWs. I have to dyno cars at the track routinely to ensure they don't bust our hp cap. If they have too much power, we put some tape on the air filter. We have to tape over HALF of the air filter before the slightest drop in hp is noted. So our OEM air filter is fully twice as large as the engine really needs. That's the kind of thing you can expect from an OEM.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Went with a K&N filter, reason wasn't performance but rather savings. Was able to purchase for $54, cleaning kit was an additional$20. Air filters are $15 per so 5 changes and its paid for.
As far as cold air intakes, sorry going to echo everyone else here, they are a waste of money.
Just get a tune .

1 - 15 of 15 Posts