RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've looked online and it doesn't seem like there are many kits for the ecodiesel yet, but I don't have much experience with diesels and how cold air intakes effect their power and efficiency. I assume it would be similar to a gasser, cleaner smoother airflow would allow for more power and fuel economy, at least that's what the companies claim. If anyone could weigh in on their experience with cold air intakes with diesels so I can figure out if it'd be worth the money or not.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
in general CAI are a huge waste of $$$, unless you just want a little different sound. This is pretty much universal across any car/truck forum, regardless of gas or diesel.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I found this video to be a surprise. I was always under the impression that they helped, but apparently they do not.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The new vehicles, and especially the diesels, are so highly engineered from the intake system, to the combustion designs, to the advanced exhaust systems (thank you EPA) that a bolt-on CAI simply doesn't give the performance it did in years past. Multiple tests have shown that CAIs don't really flow more air than stock systems. Even if they do, that extra air won't help if you don't modify the exhaust, and that is increasingly difficult with the emissions systems.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I have never had a diesel where any thing was gained from a cai if you were under 500hp. Its really all about the tuning, the current intake is designed to support the needs of the stock engine. If you aren't going to push the turbo to its limits and tune specifically for your add-ons, you will gain nothing.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Most diesels I've seen don't benefit until 500hp/1,000tq. What they do benefit from, from the get go is an exhaust. The less back pressure on a turbo the better

·
Registered
693 Posts
in general CAI are a huge waste of $$$, unless you just want a little different sound. This is pretty much universal across any car/truck forum, regardless of gas or diesel.
+1.
The hp/torque gain is most often measured by the butt-dyno, which is enough to make knowledgeable folks burst out in laughter.

·
Registered
701 Posts
been reading about things that impact fuel economy, and was surprised that dirty or restricted air Filters no longer impact the engine... Modern engines now adjust air/fuel ratio constantly. I read somewhere else a long time ago that the engine will simply adjust to a freely flowing cold air intake, providing no performance impact. I think the engine would need to be programmed to make use of better flow. I bet this is what the new Cummings is doing with the adjustable air intake, the air flow adjusts but the engine computer programming has to adjust at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
33 Posts
The air would heat up passing through the turbo. The intercooler is meant to cool the air before entering the intake. With the turbo, high air flow compliments high injector flow. I'd have to imagine the stock air box has enough flow to match the stock injectors, or at least stock tuning.

·
Registered
274 Posts
On my truck I look at the intake air temperature (IAT) and unless I'm sitting in traffic it's always within 5* of the outside temp while driving.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Bob the oil guy's website has an interesting article on a air filter test. Not completely scientific, but pretty well showed only marginal improvement in airflow from filters like Kand N and a corresponding reduction in filtering capability. The tubing airbox design may help some, but stock system and conventional filter probably best for a lot of us, even with a mild tune.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts