RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Living in western WI, I'm in the market for a radiator grill cover. Thought I would solicit the opinions of those who have had a winter-or-two under their belt as to your choice.

Local Dodge dealer can order, of course, but I left there with a sour taste in my mouth. I guess I'm old-fashioned, but after spending $45,000 for a truck less than a month ago, I sorta feel like they would offer/make some small concession on the price of a "cold weather cover", or at least a small discount on the installation of the AWOL power cord for the block heater. Apparently, the Dodge folks don't see it that way.

Thanks, in advance, for any cold weather tips.

Terry R.
New Richmond, WI

·
Registered
90 Posts
I didn't have one most of last winter. Toward spring my dealer gave me one cuz there was a TSB on freezing intercoolers, or something like that. I didn't see any advantage in having it besides I don't like how the Ram one fits or looks. Not sure what I'll do this winter. I'd like to pull the grill and put something in behind it but we'll see what happens.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Living in western WI, I'm in the market for a radiator grill cover. Thought I would solicit the opinions of those who have had a winter-or-two under their belt as to your choice.

Local Dodge dealer can order, of course, but I left there with a sour taste in my mouth. I guess I'm old-fashioned, but after spending $45,000 for a truck less than a month ago, I sorta feel like they would offer/make some small concession on the price of a "cold weather cover", or at least a small discount on the installation of the AWOL power cord for the block heater. Apparently, the Dodge folks don't see it that way.

Thanks, in advance, for any cold weather tips.

Terry R.
New Richmond, WI
look into precision design and manufacturing, they make very nice stainless steel winter fronts that beat the heck out of the 175$ chrysler bra that they tell you you have to drill into your brand new truck to install fasteners, no drill installation.

you WILL have to find your own part number for your truck fitment from precision design's website yourself.

https://precisioncanada.com/truck/index.php

then the only distributor that they have in the USA is Rocky Mountain Truck Accessories in Montana, call them with the part number, about 220$ later they will order and have precision drop ship it to you. precision will not sell direct and rocky mountain truck is their only distributor in the States, I fought with this quite a bit. But in order for the paper trail for customs you need to purchase from Rocky Mountain Truck (whom does not advertise any association with precision design [hence why you need to provide the part number] and they will be able to order it to your door in about a week.

also the ecodiesel has a block heater element already, i purchased a inexpensive cord from ebay with no fasteners or foil wrap for about 30$ (which is why mopar charges 156$ for the cable alone after assembly) and i mounted a retractable extension cord to my tow hook mount. look at my history in another recent thread for photos of the setup.

but for the grill cover precisoncanada dot com has a really good product for the truck if you dont mind the chrome that is.

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
I live in Northern WIsconsin in Bayfield County and did fine without a winter front last year. In weather below 0 the truck doesn't warm up to the normal 203 deg F or so and you have to keep the heater on pretty high speed fan to keep warm in the truck, especially if on country roads and driving 45-55 mph. My only problem was one batch of fuel from quick trip that gelled on me, but an hour or so plugged in coupled with the warming in the morning and it started and ran fine. I then took to adding an anti-gel additive when the temp was going to be below zero. My truck was outside last winter and coldest we saw was about minus 20 and I left it not plugged in and it started fine that morning. However, I generally plug it in at night and turn it on a couple hours before I plan on going in the morning. My outlet is switched inside so it is easy. If you go a regular time use a timer. The block heater is fairly small, about 650 watts if I remember correctly and my experiments last year showed it takes a full two hours to heat as much as it will. The advantage for me is much quicker heat and defrost and its bound to be a bit easier on the engine and starter, but the 5w30 synthetic oil is pretty thin even at 20 below.

Showtime Home makes nice stainless winter fronts but not for our trucks yet. When I emailed them earlier this summer they said the expected to have one available this year. It isn't on their website yet and I just emailed them for an update. (Someone else on this forum mentioned them and suggested we contact them if we are interested in one.) I'll post something with their answer.

You'll be amazed how undiesel like the truck is in the winter.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Not commenting on which method of covering is the best or even if it's needed but the Ram Winter Front can be had on Ebay from dealers for anywhere between 100-130$ and there is no drilling, it just hooks on and has flaps which slide behind the front grill

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have not physically seen a mopar winter front I just spoke with a parts Rep who looked at it and said it seems to need snaps drilled to the lower portion to fasten it.

I in turn laughed at him that I was supposed to drill holes in my new 60k truck because mopar says I need a winter front in my climate.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
jdn112011 , I have one, it doesn't. The instructions say to remove it at 30°f. Kind of a PITA for me since I don't have a garage and putting it on/off below freezing looks to be a hassle.

·
Registered
93 Posts
The precision one that I have has solid upper covers but the lower portions are only about 70% restricted but there are plates to cover the open portion if desired. Towing/load openings just like the flaps on the mopar cover. But everything is thumb screws with stainless steel hardware and j hooks that just slip behind the grill. I have my lower portion on with the optional covers off (mopar flap equivalent) and I've run my truck in 90 degree weather under load and had no issues with temp. And the factory Aero flaps on the radiator are only on the upper half so it still let's the top actuate with the computer and temp as needed to run efficiently. For the time it helps warm up times on startup and it blows heat a little faster.

We're just getting to see 20s at night and Lucky to hit 60 daytime highs. Winter is coming in a hurry.

·
Registered
93 Posts
This is the picture from precision for the 2500 but it's the same. Only difference will be models with horizontal slats will have smaller plates and openings. But all fronts are model specific to fit your grill
Grille Automotive exterior Vehicle Car Bumper

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
As do you. I was just looking though and you wouldn't believe it; ram got rid of the entire Prairie Pearl color! From tradesman to big horn to Laramie and Laramie Longhorn it's gone for 2016.

We're the last of our kind!
Such a fine color it is!

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
I was told by a body shop that it was one of the hardest colors to spray well and get a consistent look. Perhaps, if true, that had an impact. Although you don't see many of them so I guess not too many were ordered. I think a good part of that was the really poor depiction of the color online and in the brochures.

All the best,

·
Registered
93 Posts
Yes it is absolutely a in person color. There's no way to understand it unless you see it.

But I still struggle whenever the truck goes in to Sam's Club for rotate and balance. "What color is your truck?" Uh.. green? Brown? Tan?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Would have sworn I had the part number, and was about to order one of these inserts for the '15 Dodge Ecodiesel sitting in the garage. Now, when I get on the website, I don't see it for the 1500 (only the 2500). Am I looking in the wrong place????

Thanks,

Terry R.
New Richmond WI

·
Registered
169 Posts
Right spot but there's a really hard to see red, blends in with the red background, next page you need to go to.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Maybe someone who has ordered from precision can help me out - the inserts are not specific to the 3d? So I would just be looking for the trim level - ie: RAM 1500, SLT/OUTDOORSMAN/SXT/ST STAINLESS STEEL GRILL - WINTER 371678?

I was thinking about having a machine shop make these in the States, but it sounds like these are a solid product?

1 - 20 of 74 Posts