RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How would you say a 21 mile commute with 19 miles straight non-stop interstate highway be for mileage and also the clean burning ( lack of build up in DEF and possible decreasing any build up) ?

This is my sons normal commute and he travels usually during non-rush hour times taking 20-25 minutes. Rush hour would be an hour.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
That's plenty of time to get warmed up and running efficiently.... you should experience the same mileage people are reporting on here. (with no traffic)

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Thanks capt! Anyone ever tell you that you look like dog the bounty hunter in your avatar pic? Lol

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Now if i could only get my wife to say that!

·
Registered
231 Posts
My commute is 23 miles each way with 2 miles of it on city streets. It takes about 5 minutes to warm up and Im averaging 23.4 mph when I do that trip. No issues going on with the DPF clogging.

·
Registered
13,687 Posts
Wife tells me I smell like a dog. Puts me in the dog house. Dogged me today about getting back late from the marina where the beer was cold.

It's a form of communing and my emissions are clear.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
It's like being in jail....lol

·
Registered
118 Posts
Easy fix. Go back to the Marina. When wife dogs me, I get on my bike and take a 400 mile ride.

·
Registered
61 Posts
that sounds perfect. I wouldn't expect issues with the dpf as the DEF really decreases the frequency of regens

·
Registered
279 Posts
My commute is 24.5 miles, with 17 being highway, the motor will run at good temps for dpf on your commute.

Capt, a tip on what I call "dog house insurance".... buy wife flowers about 1 time every 4-6 weeks... A lady at the check out once asked me what was occasion ? I told her "I have not done anything bad yet, but I am sure I will"

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
How would you say a 21 mile commute with 19 miles straight non-stop interstate highway be for mileage and also the clean burning ( lack of build up in DEF and possible decreasing any build up) ?

This is my sons normal commute and he travels usually during non-rush hour times taking 20-25 minutes. Rush hour would be an hour.
Just a thought: That is an ideal commute range for an electric car and they are a lot more fun to drive--think instant torque and acceleration--and to park than a pickup. Much less operating costs, too, and they can be quite reasonable to buy on lease depending on where you are located. Of course, your son may have other uses for a pickup.

Reactions: westondan

·
Registered
214 Posts
Thanks capt! Anyone ever tell you that you look like dog the bounty hunter in your avatar pic? Lol
Ok, Chris you started it about the avatar now yours reminds me of Elvis or maybe Michael Jackson. Maybe I'll get an avatar some day if I get a truck and learn to post pictures.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Ok, Chris you started it about the avatar now yours reminds me of Elvis or maybe Michael Jackson. Maybe I'll get an avatar some day if I get a truck and learn to post pictures.
HA! Maybe what they would look like now if you dug them up!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What is needed is 4x4 ability and cargo capacity . Electric doesn't cut it. Son is an aviation mechanic needs a truck. Electric wouldn't cut it making it through the storms we get and he has to be in can't call out due to weather.

·
Registered
279 Posts
electric has it's place, as does natural gas, but the use has to fit in parameters of distance, and for natural gas, refueling.

I have a 2010 Prius to commute, and it's best of both, here in Pa gets 44-49 in summer and 41-44 winter, not too bad... and I put Tenabe braces on it, a strut tower brace and a chassis brace, to tighten up the handling and ride.. I had the Prius and 2006 5.9 Cummins at the same time... both good at what they were designed for.
The prius is an efficient little rig, and with the hatch back, it fits my golf clubs and spin and fly rods....

I think this Ram with 3.0 will be it for light duty diesels for a while..... there has been zero news about the Titan since January/Feb, and the Frontier with the 2.8 Cummins will probably come out before the Titan with the 5.0...... GM is always 2 years behind everyone else, limping along (and I am a GM fan), and Ford has the 2 motors, the 3.2 inline 5 or the 3.0 V6 Lion motor.

Will see, but this Ram 1500 should have the market to itself for a few years !

·
Registered
13,687 Posts
Kid wants the truck for what?

Thinking of sayings...I was pit mechanic for a racer last night. At the start line he blew a radiator hose on an old single Honda flattracker. No start as it smoked up.

Got it back to the pits and I tore into the problem to get him ready for the final. Another guy there was supposed to help but he spent more time eating. I was getting frustrated with a hose I made and clamps. Kind of suggested he hold something. His response motivated me to finish properly and laugh. He said...

"You're F*#$ing this dog. I'm just holding his tail".

What's he going to do with that truck?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts