RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Update about my Longhorn. The truck ran perfect but the engine light popped on....

Dealer calls and said the company folks wanted to know how I accumulated my mileage and the answers to the following ?'s;

Percent driven below 30 MPH

Percent driven at 55 MPHand up

Any prolonged idle time

Any regeneration

Any added performance parts

Source of my fuel

Any fuel or engine liquid treatments/additives

I love the truck but this is stupid, one rep said since the engine is new current mechs know very little about it.... I am worried, what say y'all?

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Update about my Longhorn. The truck ran perfect but the engine light popped on....

Dealer calls and said the company folks wanted to know how I accumulated my mileage and the answers to the following ?'s;

Any prolonged idle time

Any regeneration

Source of my fuel

I love the truck but this is stupid, one rep said since the engine is new current mechs know very little about it.... I am worried, what say y'all?
Answer the questions - not like we didn't all know this was a new combo when we bought them. You'd like to think each dealership is current, but lets face it, most techs will end up waiting a year or so before they get one of these on their lifts.

I think its very positive that Chrysler is engaging you. They could simply ignore you and let you follow the lemon law process - it'd cost them less in the long run, so the fact they're willing to roll up their sleeves actually makes me feel good. Of course, NONE of this will lessen the frustration, obviously.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Tell them you used all natural, local, organically obtained urea... Straight from the cow. Also, not to worry about the fuel because you source and refine your own biodiesel!

I kid, hope this works out as best as it can for you.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Each engineer should be given an EcoD as their daily driver, already a company perk, to see what pops up. Murphy's Law says nothing will happen in those trucks but it's worth a shot. Intermittent problems are the most difficult to troubleshoot and resolve.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Definitely not stupid, you have a problem, they're trying to solve it and to do that they need all the information they can get.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Answer the questions - not like we didn't all know this was a new combo when we bought them. You'd like to think each dealership is current, but lets face it, most techs will end up waiting a year or so before they get one of these on their lifts.

I think its very positive that Chrysler is engaging you. They could simply ignore you and let you follow the lemon law process - it'd cost them less in the long run, so the fact they're willing to roll up their sleeves actually makes me feel good. Of course, NONE of this will lessen the frustration, obviously.
Good point.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I am also happy to hear that they are actively trying to find the solution to these CEL problems. Hopefully before long they will have the bugs worked out for everyone having issues.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Agreed that the questions are not "stupid" but they do seem rather basic. What bothers me is that there does not appear to be sufficient diagnostic software in the truck to pinpoint what is wrong or to even categorize it. We can't be expected to run to a dealer every time the CEL goes off unless it is serious. Today's vehicles need more informative error readouts, better trained dealer technicians, and perhaps even a wireless connection (with the owner's permission) to a Ram engineering computer that can be used for preliminary troubleshooting without visiting a dealer. Of course, given that Ram cannot even get its website and order tracking systems working properly, I am just dreaming.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update

Any prolonged idle time

Any regeneration

Source of my fuel

Just picked up my truck a few hours ago for the holiday weekend. Was told it is fine to drive with the light on because nothing is wrong with the truck. Cooperate boys say its a ghost in the machine; no codes present in the computers "the light is on for no good or bad reason."

The truck goes back on Monday for a reserved, 4 day computer road trip. To be driven on numerous roads under varying conditions and speeds. A two or three person team with a slew of computer gear recording every conceivable input and output.

BTW I just received my $50 gas card and two years free maintenance in my mail. I'm not 100% sure what to make of all this ghost s&@ t, they say it's a first. Your thoughts please.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I don't know about ghosts but it sounds like they are making a legitimate effort to figure it out good luck.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
So, teams of highly paid engineers design these complex trucks, test and refine them for a year, release them to a hapless world, and when a lamp comes on they have to send another team to study what is causing it? Good thing there are a couple of bicycles in my garage.

"Men have become the tools of their tools." -Henry David Thoreau

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Spell check

Just picked up my truck a few hours ago for the holiday weekend. Was told it is fine to drive with the light on because nothing is wrong with the truck. Cooperate boys say its a ghost in the machine; no codes present in the computers "the light is on for no good or bad reason."

The truck goes back on Monday for a reserved, 4 day computer road trip. To be driven on numerous roads under varying conditions and speeds. A two or three person team with a slew of computer gear recording every conceivable input and output.

BTW I just received my $50 gas card and two years free maintenance in my mail. I'm not 100% sure what to make of all this ghost s&@ t, they say it's a first. Your thoughts please.
I really need to work on my spell-checker..

·
Registered
29 Posts
Sounds like some basic questions from the engineers to start their root cause investigation.
My guess to the cause of some of the issues popping up will be a bad lot # or batch of sensor, wires or bad PCMs left over from the 2013 trucks (I believe there was a TSB on 2013 PCM). If you google the error code P0246 you get

OBD Code P0246 refers to
The PCM monitors the supercharger (boost) bypass (SCB) solenoid circuit for an electrical failure. The test fails when the signal moves outside the minimum or maximum allowable calibrated parameters for a specified SCB solenoid duty cycle (100% or 0%) by PCM command.
Symptoms
Possible sumptoms of OBD code P0246
- Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light)
Causes
Possible causes of OBD code P0246
- VPWR circuit open to SCB solenoid. - SCB solenoid circuit shorted to PWR GND or CHASSIS GND. - Damaged SCB solenoid. - SCB solenoid circuit open. - SCB solenoid circuit shorted to VPWR. - Damaged
Possible Solutions
Disconnect SCB solenoid. Connect test lamp to SCB solenoid harness connector. Cycle SCB driver in PCM by Output Test Mode. Test lamp cycle on and off - SCB solenoid is suspect. Test lamp always on - SCB signal short in harness or PCM. Test always off - SCB signal or VPWR open in harness or PCM.

So it could just be that some of these trucks have a bad ground.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I hate to hear the whole "ghost" thing. I had a 2000 Ram 1500 that kept throwing "ghost" codes. They would just reset the computer and send me on my way. Shortly after my warranty expired the transmission blew and Dodge would do nothing for me. A friend who is a mechanic rebuilt it twice, once with OEM parts and then with aftermarket where it was never a problem again. I sold that truck 2 weeks ago and bought an ED. Yesterday with 550 miles the CEL came on. I have an appointment with service in the morning. I hope lightning is not striking twice!

·
Registered
68 Posts
When I went in for P0246 said they just got a new TSB that said that they had to flash the PCM and replace the Bank 2 Sensor that it was causing the code. They flashed the PCM, ordered the sensor and sent me home with the truck saying that the code would not harm anything.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts