RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bottom line - they don't work together.

The Roll-X has tabs that enable the top to lock into place. Their placement interferes with the AMP Research bed extender. The extender works fine when deployed on the tailgate, but will not rotate up and into the bed due to the tabs on the Roll-X Tonneau.

You cannot install the Amp unit in the bed, either, due to it's one-way only installation into the brackets screwed to the truck.

I expect this would happen with any extender of similar design as the AMP unit.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I know you said they don't work together... but could you post a pic of the bed extender, and where it hits?? I want to get a bed extender, and I want to make sure it's not going to hit my cover's hardware.

Thanks.

·
Registered
360 Posts
The tabs sticking out at the rear of the bed was a concern for me also. Not for a bed extender but loading and unloading I had visions of the elbow catching them and hurting like hell. Wish they had a better latch system at the rear, still leaning toward the Fibermax myself especially after reporting the vinyl and aluminum got hot in the NW. Could only imagine how hot here in the SE.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know you said they don't work together... but could you post a pic of the bed extender, and where it hits?? I want to get a bed extender, and I want to make sure it's not going to hit my cover's hardware.

Thanks.
Yup. Will work on this today. ;)

I wouldn't worry about it getting hot. Anything back there in sunlight will get hot... and clearly its not hot enough to hurt any of the components. I need to remember to take a temp reading on our next sunny day.

·
Registered
583 Posts
The latching mechanism is pretty slick, but with the tabs sticking out, I decided against this one. My local shop had several small models on display, so that was very helpful to get to operate and see a sample installation, side-by-side. I didn't even think about interference issues with a bed extender.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts