RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I attached a picture of the truck below.we are thinking about buying. We would not be using the truck that much. More like a family vehicle to drive into town and hardware store. I'm afraid if I buy this truck beacause of recalls I will be shoveling alot of money into it. I've read that the update FCA gave to the truck increases turbo lag and decreased mpg. I would love to hear your guys opinion.
Screenshot_20200229-075503_Facebook.jpg

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
You don't have to pay for recall work. Other than that, my opinion is that the truck is a bit overpriced. It's low miles, but that's not necessarily a plus. As far as I'm concerned, it's broken in.

Be sure to run a Carfax on it to see what's been done already. If there's a LOT of stuff in there other than maintenance or if it turns out it's a dealer buyback, do not buy.

Be aware that if the truck was originally sold in Canada you will not get anything resembling a warranty. Probably moot since there's probably no warranty left anyhow.

·
Registered
450 Posts
The AEM seems to have had a negative effect on some trucks, on others it's not noticable. Test drive it and if performance is acceptable get price down and buy it.

·
Registered
150 Posts
We would not be using the truck that much. More like a family vehicle to drive into town and hardware store.
I would be worried about this statement. If your intent is for only short trips, the EcoD may not be for you, especially if all the emissions gear is intact. In that situation it may have issues starting/completing a regen and you may not find out till it's too late

·
Registered
137 Posts
I agree - significant numbers of short trips without highway runs are bad for almost any diesel today! I don’t recall these having a manual regen option like some of the Cummins.
If you live 30 miles from town - maybe it’s the best idea ever!

·
Registered
275 Posts
I don’t recall these having a manual regen option like some of the Cummins.
I had an Edge Insight CTS Engine Monitor, Model 83830 that could manually invoke a regeneration for my 2016 Eco. Didn't work on my 2017 and they haven't updated their software despite promising it for years.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I had an Edge Insight CTS Engine Monitor, Model 83830 that could manually invoke a regeneration for my 2016 Eco. Didn't work on my 2017 and they haven't updated their software despite promising it for years.
And this is why a tech benefits from being here, we learn about some of the aftermarket capabilities! That is basically essential if you are only ever city driving it!

·
Registered
13,231 Posts
Do you know if the truck is tuned, has had the AEM? Maybe you don't even know what those things mean?

I suggest you read around here and try to understand what AEM and "tuned" might mean. See if the cruise control works below 25 mph, say around 15-20 mph. If so then it is probably GDE or SFT tuned. That's a good thing.

Look at the oil on the dipstick. If filthy black you are probably stock unless they just changed it at that seller. Are the exhaust emission components still on the truck. If not then it could be a full delete.

The truck just might be a good choice for you. Only thing is a bit of an education on the Ecodiesel would be helpful to make an informed decision. Read around here.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have the 2015 and I’ve been very happy with it. The AEM is noticeable when it’s cold. I used to have a lot of problems with sensor sooting and regens every week or two because I make a lot of short trips sometimes, 1-2 miles at a time. Interestingly enough, since I started using Diesel Allen regularly, I haven’t had a regen since, nor the sensor slow response code.

I get about 30mpg highway at 62mph and maybe 16-18mpg with an extra tall cargo trailer about 6000lbs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts