RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a 2014 ecodiesel, and enjoyed the economy, but got scared off from the early issues. Currently in a Hemi, but can get a decent zero percent deal on a new 2019 classic. Trying to decide if I should do it or not. Have always been a diesel fan, and miss it greatly. Is the 2019 still subject to all of the issues the early models had? I primarily drive in town only, and truck has 3.92 gears. Thanks for any feedback. My 14 got 22 in town and 31 hwy hand calculated with 3.55 gears, not sure what 3.92 would get?

·
Registered
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
43 Posts
I’m in a 2019 Classic myself. I’ve had it for 2 months and it’s the first diesel I’ve owned. I was in a hemi before this and I can’t imagine ever switching back to it. They are still subject to the EGR failing but mine has the updated EGR. From what I’ve heard, a stage 1 tune that turns off the EGR is the way to go - if you want to disconnect the diffuser tubes from the EGR and add block-off plates as well, go for it, but just remember to reassemble it if you take it in to the dealership. I’m planning on purchasing the stage 1 tune here soon and then deleting once I get further along in my warranty. I haven’t heard of any issues after deleting so I would imagine these trucks are incredible once tuned and deleted.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Don't think going from 3:55's to 3:92's will change mpg's much, at least at 65 mph and lower. I concur with you, as a former hemi owner, would never go back to gas.. Regardless of the year, I would always keep an eye on the coolant level. I plan to delete my EGR cooler at 100,000 miles.

·
Registered
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
43 Posts
I have 3.92 gears and I’m running 35x12.50s. I just put the tires on a couple days ago and was on the highway afterwards for about 45min and got it to 21.5mpg. I’m sure when I take it on a longer trip, it will increase. I was also running 70-75mph. But remember, I’m not tuned as of right now. I think with a trans tune and engine tune, I could push the upper 20s even with 35x12.50s.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I had a 2014 ecodiesel, and enjoyed the economy, but got scared off from the early issues. Currently in a Hemi, but can get a decent zero percent deal on a new 2019 classic. Trying to decide if I should do it or not. Have always been a diesel fan, and miss it greatly. Is the 2019 still subject to all of the issues the early models had? I primarily drive in town only, and truck has 3.92 gears. Thanks for any feedback. My 14 got 22 in town and 31 hwy hand calculated with 3.55 gears, not sure what 3.92 would get?
Just remember, short haul is not the ideal environment for ANY modern diesel. Take her out every little bit and run her hard down the highway for a few miles and you should be ok. I’d highly recommend going one of the GDE tunes. Mines had it for 3 years now (since 18k) and runs like a top. Had the AEM done and the lag coming home was terrible, but switched my ECU back to the tunes version and life’s good.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a 2019 ecodiesel 4x4 completely stock all recalls were done before they would sell it. 50 miles on it. No issues at all. I to have the 3:92 rear end. I get 24 to 27 mpg consistently. I do have a cab high camper top and 17 wheels. So far I absolutely could not be happier with my truck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, I’m new to the site and forum. I highly recommend the Ecodiesel! I have a 2015 Big Horn 4x4 Ecodiesel crew cab and I love it! I have nearly 172,000 miles on it and it runs great!
It has an egr and SCR delete kit without performance programming. These modifications definitely helped engine cleanliness and performance. I have been a diesel mechanic and corporate technical support employee for Caterpillar, Cummins, and Volvo for over 32 years. My experiences and education have afforded me knowledge of the basics that keep my truck running at its best.
The best assurance to best performance, reliability, and longevity is very good and early maintenance. I change my oil/filters/fuel filters at half the recommended intervals noted in the manual. I have had ZERO issues! Still get over 27 mpg too! As I read through the posts, I noticed several times that oil changes are being performed at very high mileage intervals. Also, many photos of engines and engine compartments are extremely dirty and not maintained. Therein lies the problem. Parts and components are designed to wear out not fail. Manufacturers can’t afford to have it any other way. They state long maintenance intervals can be performed to promote sales and low cost maintenance. Of course oils are better but it still gets dirty. So for me the cost of oil changes is far less than repairs. I feel confident that if you follow these suggestions, you’ll have a wonderful experience with the Ram Ecodiesel! Best wishes, Mark

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have always changed the oil at 5-7000 miles. I am at 88K miles with no issues and I am still stock. Looking forward to the VB1 and improved tune after the AEM set my mileage back a little.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts