RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love the idea of the ecodiesel and can buy one for under 31k, before taxes. I’ve been scared to buy one because all of the issues on these forums. Is the ecodiesel in the 2019 improved? Should I be nervous? I don’t want to buy junk, but I really want this truck.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I'd wait and see if they revised anything. If it's anything like the hemi they won't/Havnt changed a thing.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
746 Posts
I love the idea of the ecodiesel and can buy one for under 31k, before taxes. I’ve been scared to buy one because all of the issues on these forums. Is the ecodiesel in the 2019 improved? Should I be nervous? I don’t want to buy junk, but I really want this truck.
No dont buy it. The new is the 2020 and of course no one knows enough about it yet. Buying any vehicle is a loss but buying a ram is worse

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
396 Posts
Contrary to some of the Sky is falling mentality these are incredible trucks. With most not have any problems at all. Like myself. I wouldn't hesitate on purchasing another one in a heartbeat. A recall is out about the EGR cooler. Once that is taken care of you will probably put hundreds of thousands of miles on it. ( Vern on here has over 600,000 )

·
Registered
746 Posts
Contrary to some of the Sky is falling mentality these are incredible trucks. With most not have any problems at all. Like myself. I wouldn't hesitate on purchasing another one in a heartbeat. A recall is out about the EGR cooler. Once that is taken care of you will probably put hundreds of thousands of miles on it. ( Vern on here has over 600,000 )
Pretty sure he is tuned.

·
Registered
746 Posts
My 2018 "seems" not to have some of the issues of the earlier trucks, 30K miles no issues. I've got a Tradesman likewise.
My 2017 has been good for 18k miles. That being said, engine failure, fireball who knows. On top of that you can't get rid of it... that's what irritates me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is it actually a challenge to trade one in? Are they not paying much for them? I love idea of small diesel, but an just nervous after seeing all the negativity surrounding the engine. Usually only mad people post stuff, so you never know if it is all blown out of proportion.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Is it actually a challenge to trade one in? Are they not paying much for them? I love idea of small diesel, but an just nervous after seeing all the negativity surrounding the engine. Usually only mad people post stuff, so you never know if it is all blown out of proportion.
26k on a 2017 with 18k miles is the best offer I've gotten right now. About 32k 3 months ago. It's a crew 4x4 bighorn

·
Registered
396 Posts
No dealer is going to pay you what anything is actually worth. They have to make there 4-5-6 Grand or they are not interested. Anybody that thinks different are simply delusional.

·
Registered
746 Posts
No dealer is going to pay you what anything is actually worth. They have to make there 4-5-6 Grand or they are not interested. Anybody that thinks different are simply delusional.
My friend went to trade his 2015 tundra. He owes 22 he was offered 26. I owe 32 on the ram and offered 26. Every vehicle is a loss but ram takes it to a whole new level.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I paid off my current truck in a couple years and plan on keeping this one for 6 or so years and likely about 75k miles or so. I just don’t want something unreliable. Have young kids and don’t want to be stuck on side of road and without a vehicle of long repair issues... are the 2019 engines as bad as the older ones with failure rates?

·
Registered
746 Posts
I paid off my current truck in a couple years and plan on keeping this one for 6 or so years and likely about 75k miles or so. I just don’t want something unreliable. Have young kids and don’t want to be stuck on side of road and without a vehicle of long repair issues... are the 2019 engines as bad as the older ones with failure rates?
No 2019 eco. The new version is 2020. Obviously not enough data on the 2020. I cant knock the 2020 (yet) but save the headache and stay from the older eco

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks everybody. I appreciate the input, as much as I like idea of 1500 diesel, I may opt for the Colorado with the duramax. Don’t want to be worried the whole time I own a truck. Really appreciate it!

·
Registered
746 Posts
Thanks everybody. I appreciate the input, as much as I like idea of 1500 diesel, I may opt for the Colorado with the duramax. Don’t want to be worried the whole time I own a truck. Really appreciate it!
I'm a gm fan, never should have tried FCA. Get a full size with a 3.0 now. It's an I 6 duramax.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Having driven a 16 and 18 GMC Sierra as a work truck they dont compare to my 16 Ram Eco. However they didnt have a leaking EGR cooler after 1 1/2 years of ownership either. I now have 200,000 kms on the truck and have not had a problem since deleting the egr at 98000kms. GDE tune at the same time was a savior.
I love my truck, great fuel economy and a ride like no other truck. But FCA sucks arse as they have screwed Canadians with a lesser original warranty than our American brothers and sisters, no AEM payment and no AEM extended warranty.

·
Registered
109 Posts
My friend went to trade his 2015 tundra. He owes 22 he was offered 26. I owe 32 on the ram and offered 26. Every vehicle is a loss but ram takes it to a whole new level.

It's no Secret that Japanese vehicles hold their value better then most, been like that for decades. He probably paid more for his truck and had higher payments. Ram Trucks are typically less the Ford and Chevy so you will get a lower trade in. I am not RAM loyal, as a matter of fact this is the first Chrysler product i have EVER bought. And my Brother in law has is first ED also. Both of us are as happy as can be and get tons of compliments. his is bone stock and happy even after the AEM update, it did not effect his performance that much at all. mine is GDE tuned and I love it. If you are worried then buy a warranty. I got a 3 year unlimited mileage warranty. no problems yet. got the truck with 60k on it and now have 90k.

·
Registered
354 Posts

Way too many variables here for an apples to apples comparison.
The recall has really hurt ED values. They should recover after the recall is complete, but that isn't a guarantee.

Besides my leaking EGR cooler, and the unexplained sudden loss of power while towing up a long hill...and the uninitiated cruise control activation, I like my Ram. I like the mileage it gets with the ED. But 44 days out of service and counting is a bit much for me.
I am on my second Dodge/Ram that is eligible for lemon law (2000 Dakota). And one 2018 Toyota Sienna. Two lemons at the same time, what are the odds?

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Way too many variables here for an apples to apples comparison.
The recall has really hurt ED values. They should recover after the recall is complete, but that isn't a guarantee.

Besides my leaking EGR cooler, and the unexplained sudden loss of power while towing up a long hill...and the uninitiated cruise control activation, I like my Ram. I like the mileage it gets with the ED. But 44 days out of service and counting is a bit much for me.
I am on my second Dodge/Ram that is eligible for lemon law (2000 Dakota). And one 2018 Toyota Sienna. Two lemons at the same time, what are the odds?
I agree, piss poor comparison, maybe his buddy put $10,000 down lol.

The suddeen loss in power up a long hill. Pull up your screen that shows water oil and trans temp. Once oil gets over 260 something or trans over 260 something or water over I think 240 something the computer will cut fuel to it. Slow down take your time and if you keep the rpm's 3000 or less it shouldn't derate.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Personally I wouldn't buy a new 19 when the "improved" 2020's are coming available.

If your looking at the ecodiesel I would also consider a GM 1500 with the 3.0 diesel and hey why not look at the fords with the 3.0 powerstroke as well.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts