RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
With my front grill cover on, I can run in temps up to 50 F without any issues, though it starts to run on the hot side. I certainly would not tow or carry a load without opening the holes first, or even taking it off.

And I agree with the statement that these engines like to be hot. My 2017 has 33,200 miles on it, but about 20,000 miles were towing miles. My last oil report was just pristine clean. It would seem that working this motor does it good, at least from my point of view.

After being on this forum for over a 1 1/2 years, I noticed that the people that tow often have the least problems and get long miles of use from their Ecodiesels. This truck is not for doing short trips to the store or work, short cold winter trips will kill this motor. Even plugged in, with the front cover, it can still take me ten miles to get it to full temp over 200 F, and that's from 140-150 F warmup temp. I use tow/haul mode to keep the engine rpm's up, it helps in warming up. It's a pain in the butt, but part of the deal when owning a diesel.

I'll sum it up with this statement, diesel engines of all kinds are notorious for being cold blooded. These engines do not produce much heat idling or driving slowly as it is when icy and cold.

As for the coolant and the EGR cooler, I don't think I have an issue being it's turned off. HOWever, when I top it off to the full mark, over a few months it always goes down to about 1/4 inch below the full mark. And there it has remained steady.

I'm starting to think that the full mark is too full, and it "burbs" off a tiny amount, perhaps times of high rpms? I can't say for sure. But I'll just leave it where it is and see how it goes.

I like my truck too, it pisses me off that I have to take it in for the EGR cooler recall. For now though, I'll just keep driving it and enjoy it, which I do. So far it is running great.

But it's about paid off, and I'm eyeballing the 2500 cummings.......

41 - 43 of 43 Posts