RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, new to this forum, just signed up, and as the title states, I'm considering a Ram.

For the longest time I only had GM trucks. In my family, always GM trucks. In our family business always GM trucks. Mostly 3/4 tons, half tons, and full size SUV. I grew up driving them, working them, and working on them. I have had every generation of GM from a '58 and up. I have restored them, raced them, off roading etc etc, I think you get the picture. Along with a life long history of operating and maintaining heavy equipment diesels from farm tractors to graders.

That all changed for me in 2007, with a true lemon for GMC, with no recourse, and no lemon laws where I am. And a bad taste for GM after a lengthy argument and a loss of a lot of money, and so many returns for warranty i gave up keeping track, on a brand new truck. It actually became a running joke.

Moving on from that, I have an extended cab F350 diesel right now, that I like, along with a few GM trucks that are aging, amd going to need replacement in near future. Currently, for myself personally, I am interested in moving back into something that is more comfortable, reliable, and good fuel mileage. And the number one reason for a new truck, to get back to a crew cab, and start the process of updating the small fleet we have.

I looked a the new Fords, F series from half ton, to one ton. All nice trucks. Seriously considering.

I looked at the new GM trucks. Half tons. They were, ok. That's it. It did not call to me. I can not explain it, maybe I'm still mad, but - not interested. It was not impressive for complete redesign.

I looked over a new Ram 1500 diesel today on the dealer lot. They were closed, but looking in from the outside, it looked nice. They whole truck looked nice over all. And the advertised fuel mileage really caught my attention.

Before I buy though,...
I have a few questions for those that have them, if they have had them for long enough. And, I can not find the info on the Dodge Ram site. I thought this place may be a good place for insight... Albeit probably a little biased!!
All that said, this would be a general purpose truck for myself, with light duty work. Not looking for a heavy duty truck. Light towing and hauling, and something the wife will be comfortable in as well.

After reading a few other posts, it appears that it does not have high idle? Does it cool down much at idle in cold weather operations? Warm up time?
How are people making out with winter operations? -30, -40.

How well does it start in cold weather? Not plugged into a block heater and cold soaked at -35?

The air suspension? Work well? Manually adjustable or only computer controlled?

Any other quirks of Dodge or this truck in particular that a guy should know of?

Real world reports of fuel mileage, straight and level, say 65MPH long haul.

I'm not too worried about towing, I did read a couple of threads on here, seems to be mixed reviews. But say towing an enclosed trailer, 18', 6500lbs? Any opinions?

Any fuel system issues? Oil system? Other common issues? I have not familiarized my self with this engine at all as of yet.

Just looking for some real world reports from people who own and operate these trucks.
Thanks in advance,
Jeff

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
Well Jeff, Welcome!

I had an '01 Duramax. In '03 I left GM because of it. That was a disaster of a truck. Been with the 2500 Cummins for over 10 years and now the 1500 Ecodiesel.

As for the rest of your questions, most will be real hard to answer right now. First the weather has warmed a bit so all the cold-weather questions may have to wait. Remember ... there was no delivery of these trucks until just a couple weeks ago. I got one of the first and that was just 3 weeks or so ago.

Mechanically there have only been minor issues of no consequence. Towing for people is just starting. I only towed a little trailer and did not have the drawbar set up properly. I had gripes but will have to wait for future tows to understand better. 6.500 lbs on a tow should be nothing. Power wise it should not be an issue. How smoothly it will react has yet to be determined by many. It's just too new with too few having any experience.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, ok. Thank you. I thought they were out for a while now. To be perfectly honest, I didn't even know the existed until 4 hours ago.
I just happened across it at my local dodge dealer. I've been reading up on them all afternoon now trying to dig up info.

I have long thought to myself, if someone would put a small diesel in a half ton, and get 40 mpg, .. Ill buy it!

Thank you for the response. Appreciate it.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Your best bet would be to look for reviews on the new EcoDiesel. Some are pretty comprehensive in evaluation. You can find many from the car and truck magazines and on Youtube if you do a search. I am sure most of your questions will be answered.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I have only 120km on mine so far(4x4 crew cab short box laramie limited)now that my bed tarp is on I am averaging an honest 31-32 mpg's on a brand new motor.... towed my 18 foot regal and dropped down to low 20's but pulled it no problem!(3000 or so pounds) don't get me wrong you knew it was back there but it was effortless for the drivetrain.... cold weather can't help ya I just got it, I can tell you at least on the limited trim level it is amazingly comfortable and the fit and finish is second to none... some real attention to detail here one little example is a light that shines down at night to light where you step down so you don't slip on ice or step in a puddle etc... very impressive truck imo

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I must also mention how quiet the motor is, you almost forget it's a diesel sometimes it's so smooth and quiet....they are going to sell a shit pile of these trucks!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well Jeff, Welcome!

I had an '01 Duramax. In '03 I left GM because of it. That was a disaster of a truck. Been with the 2500 Cummins for over 10 years and now the 1500 Ecodiesel.

As for the rest of your questions, most will be real hard to answer right now. First the weather has warmed a bit so all the cold-weather questions may have to wait. Remember ... there was no delivery of these trucks until just a couple weeks ago. I got one of the first and that was just 3 weeks or so ago.

Mechanically there have only been minor issues of no consequence. Towing for people is just starting. I only towed a little trailer and did not have the drawbar set up properly. I had gripes but will have to wait for future tows to understand better. 6.500 lbs on a tow should be nothing. Power wise it should not be an issue. How smoothly it will react has yet to be determined by many. It's just too new with too few having any experience.

Thank you Captain. I read in an other post you haul/tow fairly often. A bit off topic, but how do you like your 2500 CTD? I know a few people that have been trying to convince me to move into those. I'm easily sold on a cummins any day, but how do you like the truck it self? And issues?

And thank you to the other posts. All info is appreciated. Going into the dealer tomorrow to have a good look over it.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Jeff, here's some more info on towing. I am truly looking forward to hauling our 3900# dry weight travel trailer this year. We went to MN from NY in 2012 and used it all over the Northeast last year. I got 8-9 at all speeds with the Hemi. Hemi pulled it like no tomorrow but stopping for fuel gets old after a while and expensive. From all my research we should see anywhere from 15020 MPG towing around 5000# with the ED.

Trailer Towing - 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel vs. 2014 Ram 2500 - Sibling Rivalry - Diesel Power Magazine Page 2

·
Registered
458 Posts
Going into the dealer tomorrow to have a good look over it.
Did that yesterday here on the way home from work. Drove the diesel grand cherokee and a laramie trimmed gasser. Very, very nice on both accounts, and the diesel was just too damn quiet.

But that did confirm one thing - that it's time to start haggling :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts