RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

Considering An ED to Replace My Car

3K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Captainmal 
#1 ·
So my car is wearing out (a 2004 Hyundai Elantra with 210K on it. I am in process of selling my house and moving to a more rural area with more property, so I have decided that I need to replace it with a truck. .

Initially I was looking at Toyota Tacoma's because I don't really need to tow anything and I've had great luck with my wife's Toyota our families have had great luck as well. My main issue with the Tacoma was that it was going to be around $30K used for a newer model and it would get like 20 MPG. Then I stumbled upon the ecodiesel. I like the idea that I can get a full size truck that will beat the mpg and maybe even the price of a used Tacoma. The added benefit of a larger passenger compartment, bed and increased towing capacity was also alluring.

Based on looking at this forum and my personal preferences I've gleaned the following:
- GDE Tune ASAP
- Extended Warranties are available and potentially very useful if your engine decides to grenade itself
- The sooner the GDE tune, the less likely said destruction is to occur.
- A tune will usually not void your warranty because it is unlikely to come up (and supposedly FCA has to prove the tune damaged the truck).
- You can get 30+MPG if conditions are right and you have a tune
- The Laramie is worth the extra money
- 3.55 gets better mileage than 3.92.
- I plan on driving this vehicle into the ground, so I would like to get 250-300K miles out of it before it decides to die.

Given those parameters, I have a few questions:
1. Is it worth paying more for a lower mileage truck in order to get an extended warranty (it looks like they are only for trucks under 48K miles)?
2. At what mileage should I be wary of purchasing a truck that has never had a GDE tune due to the potential damage from the EGR (30K, 80K, 130K)?
3. One of my main interests in this truck is fuel economy. Is 30MPG really doable with a tune and no towing? I see most people in the 22-25 range on their Fuelly signatures, but there are a few over 30.
4. If I get a GDE tune early, what other catastrophic failures do I have to worry about?
5. Anything else I may be missing or challenges to my preconceived notions?

Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
So my car is wearing out (a 2004 Hyundai Elantra with 210K on it. I am in process of selling my house and moving to a more rural area with more property, so I have decided that I need to replace it with a truck. .

Initially I was looking at Toyota Tacoma's because I don't really need to tow anything and I've had great luck with my wife's Toyota our families have had great luck as well. My main issue with the Tacoma was that it was going to be around $30K used for a newer model and it would get like 20 MPG. Then I stumbled upon the ecodiesel. I like the idea that I can get a full size truck that will beat the mpg and maybe even the price of a used Tacoma. The added benefit of a larger passenger compartment, bed and increased towing capacity was also alluring.

Based on looking at this forum and my personal preferences I've gleaned the following:
- GDE Tune ASAP YES
- Extended Warranties are available and potentially very useful if your engine decides to grenade itself IDK
- The sooner the GDE tune, the less likely said destruction is to occur. Not definitive but I suspect most likely
- A tune will usually not void your warranty because it is unlikely to come up (and supposedly FCA has to prove the tune damaged the truck). Didn't mine w/ extended warranty work done at 119,000 miles.
- You can get 30+MPG if conditions are right and you have a tune YES
- The Laramie is worth the extra money IMO yes....have LH. First class cabin, no need to cheap out.
- 3.55 gets better mileage than 3.92. Have 3.55 wish sas 3.92 due to 8/7/8 shift on hills
- I plan on driving this vehicle into the ground, so I would like to get 250-300K miles out of it before it decides to die. Me too and 1/2 way there now.

Given those parameters, I have a few questions:
1. Is it worth paying more for a lower mileage truck in order to get an extended warranty (it looks like they are only for trucks under 48K miles)? Only if it is tuned currently.
2. At what mileage should I be wary of purchasing a truck that has never had a GDE tune due to the potential damage from the EGR (30K, 80K, 130K)? Many have 100k plus w/o tune
3. One of my main interests in this truck is fuel economy. Is 30MPG really doable with a tune and no towing? I see most people in the 22-25 range on their Fuelly signatures, but there are a few over 30. I'm 4x4 leveled and below 70mph 30+ is doable w/ OEM tires. Went to 305/55/20E 62k ago see Fuelly drop in signature
4. If I get a GDE tune early, what other catastrophic failures o I have to worry about? My floor mat wore a hole at 150,000 miles
5. Anything else I may be missing or challenges to my preconceived notions? Worse case you replace an engine in a truck w/ the best ride, fit finish, and transmission on the market

Thanks!
See red letters

#3 ·
Thanks for the quick response.

With regards to the tune, there are a bunch of options. Which of these are worth it for my purposes?
- Engine Braking: I have heard this is great for towing and saving brake life, but it also doesn't appear to have a downside apart from being an extra $50.
- Regen Message: Again, doesn't appear to have a downside and let's you know when the regen is happening.
- High Idle: This one sounds like it might be really nice. In WA we don't have the coldest winters, but having a bit quicker warmup in the Winter sounds like it would be worth it.
- Off-road Tuning: I'm not entirely sure what this mod does.
- Oil Pressure Sensing: Pretty straightforward. Seems like good information to have available.

I also figured on doing the transmission tune, as I hear it has a noticeable improvement on the driveability. Is this the case?

#6 ·
I was in a very similar situation. I wanted to trade my Charger in because while fun, there just wasn't enough room in the back for car seats and/or kids.

I bought a new 2018 Laramie (4x4, 3.55 gears) and put 10,000 miles on it before I bought the GDE tune. I averaged 24 mpg across those 10k miles. I've put 5000 miles on the engine since then, and my average has been 27 mpg. Can't speak to longevity yet since there's so few miles.

To be honest, I didn't need a truck. I already own an 03 Duramax for work around the house. I bought this RAM for the Ecodiesel (and to replace the Duramax when it dies).

I love the roominess, comfort, and quietness of the engine. It makes for a great highway commuter.

#7 ·
Shawclan5, that 8/7/8 constant shifting isn't a product of the 3.55 but the product of a poor transmission tune. 3.92 will behave the same, only at a different point on any grade. Get the GDE trans tune if you want to really enjoy the truck and prevent gear hunting.

#9 ·
Haven't because only had Apple hardware and will not interface with GDE software however recently bought a cheap/nice HP and will eventually tune Trans post AEM check for this reason.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.