RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
I’m curious as to how reliable they are, there’s 165k miles on it and I’m torn because it’s in immaculate shape.
Hey, since you posted the question in the Ram Diesel forum... Are you looking into the 2015 1500 EcoDiesel or the Ram 2500 diesel?

If you're looking into Ram's 2500 Diesel, then my apologies for my original comment. I do not have any experience with that truck.

My disappointment is about the 2015 1500 4x4 Lone Star EcoDiesel... If this is what you're asking about - I can post a more detailed justification to my comment. Only if you ask...

Honestly, there's not one auto manufacturer that isn't plagued with their own issues. It comes down to what you are willing to risk with your money.

I think you are doing exactly what all of us should do -- ask questions.

ExFalconFxr

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
My 2017 has been great for almost 140,000 miles, BUT, I bought it new and learned a lot on this forum about taking care of it. As far as the motor, many have failed, maybe 10%. None have made it to a million miles, yet . It's a bit of a gamble, but so is getting out of bed. Honestly, I love my Ecodiesel.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Drive it, see if the cruise control engages at 15 mph. That indicates that it has the old GDE Hot Tune, a big plus.

Reactions: VernDiesel

·
Premium Member
2019 Ram 2500 Cummins - EX Ecodiesel owner.
14,470 Posts
Welcome to the forum - first post.

Do some reading around on this forum. The Ecodiesel started in the Ram 1500's with the 2014 model year. Search back in time and do some reading. With that knowledge you can better make a decision.

In "short form" the original Ecodiesel engine has a lot of potential. The original DEF issues were near immediately addressed but the EGR and fire issues, injector timing equipment and other things hampered the reliability. Then there were the many that had major construction defects that resulted in total destruction of the motors. That last issue is the one to most consider. There is no real answer to whether the 2015 you are considering would have that serious problem. It already may have had the engine replaced. Many did but way more did not.

Many continue to run flawlessly with only minor emissions issues. That's the one you want. Question is, could that be the one you are looking at or is it one of those "time bombs"?

Short of confirming you have a delete program like GDE in the one you are looking at, there is no easy answer. Even if it has the GDE is no guarantee things will go on and on with no issues. Pay your money and take your chances to find out.

The Ecodiesels with the re-designed and high reliability engine would be from 2020 models to present.

·
Registered
2015 Trademan 4x4, 3.92, 6.4' bed air lift 1000 bags, bilstien shocks, 34" nitto g2s, Unknown tune.
447 Posts
. As far as the motor, many have failed, maybe 10%.
Maybe 20% too... As far as I know theres no up to date reliable info on this either way,
Like you I love my truck so far, but if I knew then what I know now I likely wouldnt have purchased it, just far too many failures resulting in repair bills which will be close to what I paid for the truck in my case. The fact theres literally hundreds of people in line for months waiting for backordered replacement engines right now speaks volumes IMO...

OP what kind of cost are we looking at for this truck? 165k is a lot of miles mine had 125k when I bought it but its clean and I could see someone put a decent amount of money into mods and upgrades. I was looking to keep my payments at or below $300 a month as I have other irons in the fire right now.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have owned my 2015 Ram Laramie 4x4 crew cab EcoDiesel since new. While I don't pile on the miles like many of these guys, my truck has done its fair share of work. We have towed up and over the mountains in Idaho, Montana and South Dakota with an 18-foot boat, a 32-foot travel trailer, used cars on a tandem axle flatbed trailer and it's never let us down.
I change oil every 10,000 miles, replace filters every 20,000 and a set of new tires at around 40,000. I am still amazed with the fuel mileage we get with this truck, and the wife has said that if she ever gets to the point where we have to go down to just one vehicle, she'll sell her Cadillac and keep the truck!

·
Registered
42 Posts
I did a lot of research before purchasing mine last year. I came to the conclusion that if it had made it past 100k my odds were better. It seems most of those that are going to blow up do by 70k.

·
Registered
2020 Ram 4x2 Eco Gen III, Laramie crew, air susp. DSA rear end, barn door tail gate
163 Posts
buying a Gen II Eco with 165K on it.... at todays used prices, run.... if it were a Cummins with 165K, go for it... they've been known to go 300K when well taken care of.... I've been a 2016 Gen II owner, never a problem, loved the truck, but when they came out with the Gen III in the fall of 2019, I stepped up and ordered the new 2020. It's totally awesome, If you can find the resources for the 2020 Gen III power plant, get it... it's even better... the only one exception, the present political environment is killing all diesel owners at the pump....

·
Registered
2015 Trademan 4x4, 3.92, 6.4' bed air lift 1000 bags, bilstien shocks, 34" nitto g2s, Unknown tune.
447 Posts
I did a lot of research before purchasing mine last year. I came to the conclusion that if it had made it past 100k my odds were better. It seems most of those that are going to blow up do by 70k.
Except if you check all the threads here of failures I. The last month there are more failures at higher miles than lower and still quite an alarming number of bearing failures which aren't typical even for a normal high mileage situation. Also people with lower mileage on their vehicles tend to complain more on places like forums when they're engine fails then someone with high mileage that has an engine failure and just figures oh well I got a hundred thousand miles on it

·
Premium Member
3,214 Posts
I’m curious as to how reliable they are, there’s 165k miles on it and I’m torn because it’s in immaculate shape.
It's a lot of miles, but there's a good number of EcoDiesel trucks with 200,000+ miles. I'm seeing more and more trucks reach the 300,000-mile mark. If the price is right, then I wouldn't hesitate buying it. I would start putting away $200 - $300 per month for future repairs, though. If it has stock tuning, then it might need a new intake soon. That would also be a good time to replace the turbo coolant line.

I just turned 103,500 on my 2015. So far, it's been a great truck!

Reactions: MR. TED

·
Premium Member
3,214 Posts
I’m looking at a 2018 EcoDiesel Ram 1500 with 67000 miles on it and it looks very well maintained. I have the same concerns as the 2015 buyer. Any thoughts?
I would start putting away $200 - $300 per month for future repairs, otherwise I'm very happy with my truck.

·
Registered
2017 Ram 1500 Laramie 3.92 Charlotte, NC
1,501 Posts
It all comes down to the point that you feel like it's a good deal. I'd look around at gasser of the same year and mileage to see what the price difference is to get into the diesel. Look at service records, not just carfax. If you can't find any records, turn and run. I would not buy a used truck without knowing how it was taken care of, especially if a diesel.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts