RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2018 RAM Laramie EcoDiesel and just put 7500 miles on the truck pulling a 7K lb trailer. Coming from Kansas City, MO to Mesa, AZ I encountered a far number of uphill grades. The truck cut out abruptly a few times climbing those grades. I believe because of high temperatures for coolant, oil, and transmission as noted by many discussions. I just monitored the coolant gauge on the dash which went to the 3/4 mark or mark prior to red so I don't know exact temperatures. The outside temperature was between 95-102 degrees.

I'm thinking about going to aftermarket honeycomb grille similar to the one Nitis installed on the white ram 1500. How big was the impact of that aftermarket honeycomb grille vs stock grille? Why was honeycomb chosen over mesh or slotted aftermarket grilles? We have lots of cracked windshields in AZ from debris on our highways, how did your aftermarket grille do in protecting the three stacked coolers from rocks and insects?

·
Registered
2018 SLT+ Crewcab Ecodiesel
213 Posts
You can remove the grille quite quickly.....10 min tops if you have a beer while doing it.
Then I put some screen door netting to protect the radiator fins from plugging up with bug guts.....works pretty good at protecting the expensive bits.
That said, I’m sure it also restricts airflow some and may negate any benefits of the honeycomb grille.
Sorry but I don’t have a comparison for you between the two.

·
Premium Member
6,019 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

I swapped my Laramie grille for one from a Laramie Longhorn. Still chrome and looks good, better flow.

Switch the evic to the temp page next time you tow and know exactly which temp is the issue. Likely oil temp.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts