RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this is an issue or not. I recently had my engine replaced under warranty and had all of the recent flashes to my factory ecu. The truck is running great and has about 95000 miles on the truck and about 3000 on the new engine. After my engine was replaced I reinstalled my GDE ecu which is an older tune from 2019. After installing it the engine goes in to regen mode every 550-650 miles. If I run the factory flashed ecu I barely ever go in to regen. Not sure why. Any ideas? Is it anything to worry about?

Another issue is the MPG is at its worst with about 17mpg that it has ever been. Input a decent amount of miles on my truck for work as I do have to travel to customers. With the GDE tune I used to get around 21-24mpg. Now it’s around 17. If I put in the factory ecu I get around 14.5-15mpg. I have went through and checked my tire pressure and intake filter. I clean the filter regularly.

Not sure what else I can do to improve the mpg and I am not sure if the drop in mpg has anything to do with the constant regens.
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
5,083 Posts
When you say barely goes into regen, are you just going by a notification in the EVIC? If that's the case the factory tune is doing ba regen a lot more often than than you think. How hot is the EGT1B1 and EGT1B3 getting with the stock tune?
As for the mileage there's something wrong if the vehicle wheels are stick size. Only time I (or most people) get that low of fuel economy numbers with an EcoDiesel is when towing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I did some reading last night regarding the regen and I guess it is common to have it go through the cycles as often as it does. I just don’t remember seeing it this much on the older engine. The injectors were updated with the new engine using the alpha obd app. I will have to check how hot it’s getting as I have mever

the truck is a stock tradesman 4x4 with 33” tires. It’s how I bought it. Only changes I made to the truck were method wheels to compliment the tires, level kit, and AFE intake. All done immediately after purchase. I drive the truck just for work and drive it like an old man. I have a car if I want to go fast.

The GDE tune is noticeably better than factory as it’s response is immediate and does make the truck A little better on gas. I just have no idea what happened to the mileage. I see people on here getting damn near 30mpg and they only have the tune. Could a sensor be bad on the truck?Bad mass air flow sensor? Or dpf sensor. I am not throwing any codes so I’m not sure

·
Registered
2021 Ram 2500 Tradesman Crew Cab 6.7 L Turbo Cummins 3.73
1,304 Posts
My 2017 Tradesman Ecodiesel with the same tune as yours, did a Regen at about those same miles and that sounds normal.

·
Registered
2021 Ram 2500 Tradesman Crew Cab 6.7 L Turbo Cummins 3.73
1,304 Posts
So I did some reading last night regarding the regen and I guess it is common to have it go through the cycles as often as it does. I just don’t remember seeing it this much on the older engine. The injectors were updated with the new engine using the alpha obd app. I will have to check how hot it’s getting as I have mever

the truck is a stock tradesman 4x4 with 33” tires. It’s how I bought it. Only changes I made to the truck were method wheels to compliment the tires, level kit, and AFE intake. All done immediately after purchase. I drive the truck just for work and drive it like an old man. I have a car if I want to go fast.

The GDE tune is noticeably better than factory as it’s response is immediate and does make the truck A little better on gas. I just have no idea what happened to the mileage. I see people on here getting damn near 30mpg and they only have the tune. Could a sensor be bad on the truck?Bad mass air flow sensor? Or dpf sensor. I am not throwing any codes so I’m not sure
The stock tires on my 2017 Tradesman were the Goodyear P265/70R/17 and are about 31.7 inches in diameter.

Did you buy the truck new from the dealer with your current tires? IF the current tire size was not entered into the truck computers the difference will effect your displayed mileage. Even doing a hand calculation will be off as the miles driven will be less then what is displayed. I would look up the brand of the current tires and look up the diameter, and make sure it is correct via the AlphaOBD.

And having the front lifted can, along with larger tires, the drag alone can eat up the mileage quite a bit if your driving over 70 mph.

The Evic is not known for it's accuracy and can vary, in my experience, by up to 3 mpg plus or minus.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I bought the truck used. I was not aware I could update the tires with alpha. I will do this today and see what it does.

as for evic I wish I had that cluster. I will be doing to conversion at some point. Overall the truck runs great. I was looking at other tunes so I can get a transmission tune.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Give your wheels and suspension a good inspection, brake calipers, wheel bearings, u-joints, differential. Those 33's and lift kits aren't known for efficiency but your MPG shouldn't feel like you're pulling a trailer.

·
Registered
5,208 Posts
My suggestion would be to save your money and not worry about a trans tune.
What experience leads you to such a suggestion? Trans tunes are amazing, often more of a change to the truck than an ECM tune as the stock trans tuning is ultra lazy.

@Specializede90 your tune sounds like it is working well and as designed. Look elsewhere for your mileage loss like tire size and weight, lift, driving style, fuel and air filters, etc.

Your stock ECM did an active regen a LOT more often than your GDE ECM. You're just going by dash messages which is an inaccurate indicator as the stock tune most often does not display a msg during active regen.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I appreciate the responses. I just had both front wheel bearings replaced right before the engine was replaced. I will be going through the rest of the components this weekend. I am also going to replace the fuel filter.
I am hoping that I find the issue with the mpg. The engine tune has been great otherwise and was originally giving me awesome mileage. Even with the tires.
As for the trans tune I am still interested in one as I will be towing a small toy hauler soon. I am not sure which tune to go with.
Thanks

·
Registered
381 Posts
I appreciate the responses. I just had both front wheel bearings replaced right before the engine was replaced. I will be going through the rest of the components this weekend. I am also going to replace the fuel filter.
I am hoping that I find the issue with the mpg. The engine tune has been great otherwise and was originally giving me awesome mileage. Even with the tires.
As for the trans tune I am still interested in one as I will be towing a small toy hauler soon. I am not sure which tune to go with.
Thanks
Did you have it aligned after replacing the wheel bearings? Even if it was aligned, I would have it checked again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
9,558 Posts
I have never had an alignment after replacing wheel bearings. I guess if the previous alignment was done with the bad wheel bearings it could help to realign.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I have never had an alignment after replacing wheel bearings. I guess if the previous alignment was done with the bad wheel bearings it could help to realign.
I typically do, just a little peace of mind to know everything went back together correctly. It also helps that I typically do the lifetime alignment at Firestone so the cost isn’t an issue.

The reason I brought it up is that after I replaced my wheel bearings on the truck and did the alignment, I gained about 2 mpg. I wasn’t getting bad mileage before, but it got significantly better after the work. Bearings weren’t completely shot either, just started to make some noise. Could also be attributed to the guy doing the alignment, attention to detail matters.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Funny how a couple of extra MPG equates to a much larger % of gain. My wife’s Durango R/T gets 22 MPG on the interstate and her old Yukon Denali only got 17. That’s a 29% increase! Plus, with the Corsa exhaust and CAI it has 400 HP vs 320 in the GMC. Very fast grocery getter.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Funny how a couple of extra MPG equates to a much larger % of gain. My wife’s Durango R/T gets 22 MPG on the interstate and her old Yukon Denali only got 17. That’s a 29% increase! Plus, with the Corsa exhaust and CAI it has 400 HP vs 320 in the GMC. Very fast grocery getter.
I used to be able to squeeze 23 or 24 out of our R/T Durango on long trips. CAI, Hemifever Tune & 180f thermostat. It’s our grocery getter now too!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts