RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pricey, Diesel-Powered Dodge Ram 1500 - First Drive Review - Consumer Reports News

"...a rather impressive and quite refined machine."

They purchased a Big Horn Crew Cab 4x4 short bed with several options including towing, Uconnect, park assist and heated seats. Initial impressions are fairly typical: expensive despite a lack of some basic features such as climate control, rear step, leather seats, and (cough) payload. But the engine is the focus and it is strong, quiet and efficient. It will be interesting to see how well it tests.

They should have been reading this forum, though, so that they would have known to insist that the dealer fill the fuel and DEF tanks.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Hopefully Ram addresses the marginal payload and 'pricey' issues. It's smart business to squeeze the initial, bleeding edge crowd. Soon it'll be time to target the mainstream pickup consumer.

·
Registered
13,969 Posts
Pretty basic opinion. A report from them as they use it will be informative. They usually do a good job sorting out their test vehicles.

Thanks for the link.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
While I agree that they do a good job with the reviews.... I don't like the fact that they called it "Pricey" and emphasized that the diesel was a $4000 option, without explanation. That truck would have only been $2800 less if they opted for the Hemi. Mind you... A LOT of guys get the Hemi truck, and you never hear about their "PRICEY" trucks. (or payback BS)

Hopefully Ram addresses the marginal payload and 'pricey' issues. It's smart business to squeeze the initial, bleeding edge crowd. Soon it'll be time to target the mainstream pickup consumer.

AND..... ONCE AGAIN.....

it's a half ton truck. There's nothing wrong with the payload. If you need to carry more... don't get a loaded up Laramie, or get a 2500. (there's a reason that they make more than one size truck) Ram is the only company that gives a realistic payload rating. I've seen Fords with 800~900 Lbs in the back (well below the spec)... and they are sagging.

To make it carry more, will kill the nice ride.

My BigHorn can carry 1200 Lbs. (on paper) And... last time I checked... that's more than a "Half Ton".

·
Registered
438 Posts
They will like the foreign version better....whatever that is.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I hate to break it to you, but if anything the Ecodiesel price will rise even more, and also the people on this board are the "mainstream pickup consumer". We buy pickups to be driven each and every day, not just weekend warrior BS, we drive our trucks to work, work out of them, use them to get groceries, run errands, etc.

·
Registered
847 Posts
if anything the Ecodiesel price will rise even more, and also the people on this board are the "mainstream pickup consumer". We buy pickups to be driven each and every day, not just weekend warrior BS, we drive our trucks to work, work out of them, use them to get groceries, run errands, etc.
Enthusiast forum members are rarely if ever mainstream consumers. Take a breath, look in the mirror and tell yourself it's ok to be an early adopter, to accept what's possibly not ready for mainstream, and possibly even pay too much.

Sometimes I'm an early adopter too. I bought Google Glass' and paid way too much for them. I'm not in denial.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
While I agree that they do a good job with the reviews.... I don't like the fact that they called it "Pricey" and emphasized that the diesel was a $4000 option, without explanation. That truck would have only been $2800 less if they opted for the Hemi. Mind you... A LOT of guys get the Hemi truck, and you never hear about their "PRICEY" trucks. (or payback BS)

AND..... ONCE AGAIN.....

it's a half ton truck. There's nothing wrong with the payload. If you need to carry more... don't get a loaded up Laramie, or get a 2500. (there's a reason that they make more than one size truck) Ram is the only company that gives a realistic payload rating. I've seen Fords with 800~900 Lbs in the back (well below the spec)... and they are sagging.

My BigHorn can carry 1200 Lbs. (on paper) And... last time I checked... that's more than a "Half Ton".
Exactly! What do most people use a 1/2 ton truck for anyway? I get a % will abuse them by overloading, but seriously...

Moving. Bark mulch, gravel, sod, bringing home the new tv/washer/dryer/bed, etc. Hauling mountain bikes, jet skis, a bass boat.

Realistically, the average 1/2 ton is overqualified for THAT sort of work.

Need more because you have more (bigger boat) or want to do more (one trip for mulch instead of two) then perhaps you need to think of a bigger truck.

Can't afford the bigger truck (outright price, or fuel cost, or ride quality tradeoffs, etc.) then re-examine what you have and why you have it.

It's like buying a new boat, THEN going to try to find moorage nearby that's cheap. Like buying a giant RV, then going to try to find storage. Like jumping from the plane THEN checking for your parachute. All things that you can forecast a downside to, and PLAN for managing it...if you think first.

I can honestly say, even filling my past trucks with dirt, mulch, etc., I've never overloaded them. OK, well, there was once when I knew we were overloaded...

Mazda B2200 - the tractor (articulated loader) just drove up and dumped YARDS of mulch in the bed - completely overflowed the sides after filling the bed and being level with the roofline. truck was hard on the bump stops with the tires flexing. While waiting in line for the scale, the Ford f150 in front of us had to be PULLED aside by a tractor to have some weight removed because it couldn't get over the ridge to the scale. We're talking a small incline here - maybe 10 feet long and 5 inches vertical over that length...

We drove straight on, no issues. Got weighed, then gingerly drove the 3 miles home. Now, we never did that again. The truck was clearly beyond capacity, and as luck would have it, the mulch was pretty much dry.

No idea what the Ford's issue was, but in my own experience, it's rare that the average truck owner would overload a truck to that degree. Clearly if it's more than a rare moment, you've got the wrong equipment.

That experience also drove home the concepts of "overkill being just enough" and "the right tool for the job". Sometimes you just don't have the right tools, so you shouldn't tackle the job.

For me, I'm hauling motorcycles, a couple of dogs, me and my wife. Dogs are a combined 28 pounds, heaviest bike is 600# maxed out, me, my wife, our gear...yeah, safe to say the truck will have more than enough capacity for us.

·
Registered
847 Posts
AND..... ONCE AGAIN.....

No doubt. We all know it's a "Half Ton" and the "half ton" designation isn't the payload. If it did, 2500's would be called 1 tons, and so on.

Ram struck first with a modern half ton diesel but it's not the standard and there are others waiting in the wings. I haven't analyzed the competition and have no opinion on the ED's payload. Just hearing a few complaints. If the Ram ED has more payload potential they'll need to free it up soon.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
The EcoDiesel isn't being positioned so much as a work truck, but rather as a "lifestyle" truck.

You don't spend a ton of cash on TV ads "hoping" it's right. ;) There is a reason three handsome, fit, youthful guys are off in the woods towing hauling fishing gear and towing an Airsteam in the ad. lifestyle. If I buy this truck, that'll be me"...and contrary to what you might want to believe, it does work. Bottom line remains, however, the truck is not thought of by RAM, at least not in the crew cab Laramie level, as a work truck. Thus hauling and towing capacities can go down and comfort and features can go up.

Yes, business owners looking for more economy from fleet vehicles will flock to them at lower trim levels, BUT, you won't see ads on TV for those models.

·
Registered
281 Posts
The EcoDiesel isn't being positioned so much as a work truck, but rather as a "lifestyle" truck.

You don't spend a ton of cash on TV ads "hoping" it's right. ;) There is a reason three handsome, fit, youthful guys are off in the woods towing hauling fishing gear and towing an Airsteam in the ad. lifestyle. If I buy this truck, that'll be me"...and contrary to what you might want to believe, it does work. Bottom line remains, however, the truck is not thought of by RAM, at least not in the crew cab Laramie level, as a work truck. Thus hauling and towing capacities can go down and comfort and features can go up.

Yes, business owners looking for more economy from fleet vehicles will flock to them at lower trim levels, BUT, you won't see ads on TV for those models.

excellent point. the 1500 ed is taking alot of bad rap for limited towing & hauling capacities, but in all honesty, there's definitely a large market outside the work truck/ tow vehicle duty parameters. for kicks & giggles, on the way home yesterday, i counted the # of trucks i met & noted what they were hauling or towing. in an 8 mile stretch, i saw 74 trucks; none were towing & only 2 were hauling anything, one a washer/dryer & one was definitely a work truck with a job box in the back. so how many truck owners really require mega hauling & towing capacities???

·
Registered
735 Posts
Pricey engine? Everyone talks about how expensive it is to go from Pentastar to Hemi to EcoDiesel, but no-one mentions how much it costs to go from Quad Cab to Crew Cab.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Pricey engine? Everyone talks about how expensive it is to go from Pentastar to Hemi to EcoDiesel, but no-one mentions how much it costs to go from Quad Cab to Crew Cab.
how right you are!!! i don't even like to think about the upcharge i had to pay for few extra inches of cab. how can mama chrysler possibly justify such a price difference. i never considered anything other than a crew cab & didn't realize the price difference until after i had taken delivery. sux!!!!

·
Registered
216 Posts
how right you are!!! i don't even like to think about the upcharge i had to pay for few extra inches of cab. how can mama chrysler possibly justify such a price difference. i never considered anything other than a crew cab & didn't realize the price difference until after i had taken delivery. sux!!!!
Doesn't the crew cab have a longer wheel base? I would think stretching the whole truck to add the few inches in the cab would add significant cost.

·
Registered
281 Posts
$2500 seems a little steep for a little extra sheet metal & a couple of 6" pieces of frame rail but then looking at the price difference for the Sierra ($6000) I guess it's a bargain!!

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
$2500 seems a little steep for a little extra sheet metal & a couple of 6" pieces of frame rail but then looking at the price difference for the Sierra ($6000) I guess it's a bargain!!
The crew cab has better rear seats, too. Some models are even heated. If you often carry passengers it makes the trip much more enjoyable for them. Just depends on what you need.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts