RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my truck in (‘16 EcoDiesel with 49k miles) 2 weeks ago to have it looked at. I continue to lose coolant with no signs of leaks in the driveway. They say they did a pressure test and “checked the EGR” and couldn’t find any leaks. They topped it off and a week later it is already noticeably lower in the reserve tank again. I also told them about a different noise I am hearing in the engine compartment. I explained it as a exhaust leak or small hole in the muffler but they claim they don’t hear anything abnormal. There is absolutely a different noise over the last 1k miles.

This weekend I pulled out in traffic and pressed the pedal to the floor to try to accelerate to keep up with the flow of traffic and the truck would barely accelerate. It was like the turbo wasn’t spooling up. I left my foot off the gas and again mashed it to the floor and it did the same thing again.....no power. The third time I did it the truck took off. I continued to check it on the way home by pressing the accelerator to the floor and the truck took off every time.

Any thoughts on any of these items? I am working with a case manager at Ram but sometimes I wonder just how qualified those guys are to help.

·
Administrator
8,296 Posts
I took my truck in (‘16 EcoDiesel with 49k miles) 2 weeks ago to have it looked at. I continue to lose coolant with no signs of leaks in the driveway. They say they did a pressure test and “checked the EGR” and couldn’t find any leaks. They topped it off and a week later it is already noticeably lower in the reserve tank again. I also told them about a different noise I am hearing in the engine compartment. I explained it as a exhaust leak or small hole in the muffler but they claim they don’t hear anything abnormal. There is absolutely a different noise over the last 1k miles.

This weekend I pulled out in traffic and pressed the pedal to the floor to try to accelerate to keep up with the flow of traffic and the truck would barely accelerate. It was like the turbo wasn’t spooling up. I left my foot off the gas and again mashed it to the floor and it did the same thing again.....no power. The third time I did it the truck took off. I continued to check it on the way home by pressing the accelerator to the floor and the truck took off every time.

Any thoughts on any of these items? I am working with a case manager at Ram but sometimes I wonder just how qualified those guys are to help.
With no visible signs of leakage I would think EGR cooler or possibly head gasket. How much coolant is it using?

Did the dealer do the AEM software update? That would explain the lag. Is the lag more evident before the truck is warmed-up?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It seems to getting worse. In one week it went from the high “cool” level to the low “cool” level in the reserve tank.

I assume the AEM update is the class action lawsuit update. Yes that has been done and the lag does seem to be worse. But my incident with mashing it to the floor and getting nothing was something other than a lag. A lag eventually kicks in but this never happened.

·
Administrator
8,296 Posts
It seems to getting worse. In one week it went from the high “cool” level to the low “cool” level in the reserve tank.

I assume the AEM update is the class action lawsuit update. Yes that has been done and the lag does seem to be worse. But my incident with mashing it to the floor and getting nothing was something other than a lag. A lag eventually kicks in but this never happened.
Yeah that sounds like an altogether different issue.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
the pedal not responding would be the AEM update .
the sound of exhaust leak , maybe the turbo up pipe , bringing exhaust from
turbo to EGR cooler actuator , the pipe is a flexible pipe and cracks sometimes ,
then you get the exhaust leak sound , but mostly , others mentioned a exhaust smell
in the cab when they had that cracked turbo up pipe .

take a piece of garden hose , or anything like it , put your ear at one end ,
and fish the other end behind engine , where the tube is , listen for exhaust leak sound .
as others said , coolant down ===> EGR cooler , or hard lines under the intake bringing coolant to the turbo

Attachments

·
Registered
286 Posts
I'd bet it's a egr cooler failing. My truck lost coolant with no visible leak. Dealer said it was fine and all was good. 1 week later different dealer said bad egr. No coolant loss since replacement. Lag in gas pedal AEM get your egr leak fixed and tune it. Lol

·
Registered
286 Posts
If the egr is stuck open and burned a hole in your intake manifold would it sound like a exhaust leak ?

·
Registered
1 Posts
IM putting my money on the EGR cooler having a crack. Losing coolant with no signs of loss. It's going into the EGR cooler. Also will need new NOX sensor. Continuing to drive and add coolant will cause additional problems. This has happened to me twice. May 2018 and currently as we speak. If you haven't done so, there is a recall on most ecodiesels that extends the warranty to 120,000 mi.. Here's the kicker, I've taken it to two dealers in the area (rural) and there are no EGR coolers available--anywhere! They are not currently making them.It may be months! Like I don't need my truck? My next stop is Fiat-Chrysler (FCA) What good is a warranty with no parts? They should at least furnish a loaner. Venting.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have experienced the lag is becoming a problem while pulling into the traffic. Will they be a later update to correct this? I feel that I am becoming less in love with my Eco since the AEM update. A Hemi may be in my future or is Ram just fazing out of the Diesel 1500 models?

·
Registered
26 Posts
As many have posted, most likely the egr cooler. The other issue could be a problem with the gas pedal and the drive by wire system. May want to check and make sure the plug on the pedal is all the way in and making contact. Or the pedal could be going bad and providing intermittent contact.
Also, as some have mentioned, if lag is an issue and you don't want to pay for a tune, I've seen good reviews on the Pedal Commander or other signal boosters to help resolve this issue.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi, You did not say weather you smell coolant. I do have a leak and smell coolant but not the dealership. It took me awhile to find mine. Pull off the top cover and look for red stain marks under the cover or around the hoses. Mine leaks from the water pump very slowly out the weep hole or seal and is spun out from the pulley as the engine runs. Smell but no leak visible, until I raised the front end to do an oil change and had coolant run down the front of the block. With almost 120K miles time for a coolant change anyway and I will change the pump before winter.

As to the other problem, I had the service electronic throttle message while driving to Cincinnati from Washington DC, about half way. The problem I had was from a start it was slow and got stuck at 45 mph. I had to release the throttle let the engine tell the trans to up shift and then throttle up again to get to 65. Had the AEM done at Ft Thomas KY dealership. They found nothing wrong with the throttle after AEM cleared the codes. Put another three thousand miles since then and do notice some throttle lag. Not as bad as some report, but also have intake butterfly stuck message too. Do not know how much that relates to the lag problem. But it does effect my mpg's by about 2 mpg.
Hope this helps, John

2015 tradesman stock 118K miles

·
Registered
68 Posts
Went through exactly the same symptoms at the same millage with my 2016 ED. It was a leaking EGR cooler. Replaced under warranty. Problem solved.

·
Registered
12,631 Posts
IM putting my money on the EGR cooler having a crack. Losing coolant with no signs of loss. It's going into the EGR cooler. Also will need new NOX sensor. Continuing to drive and add coolant will cause additional problems. This has happened to me twice. May 2018 and currently as we speak. If you haven't done so, there is a recall on most ecodiesels that extends the warranty to 120,000 mi.. Here's the kicker, I've taken it to two dealers in the area (rural) and there are no EGR coolers available--anywhere! They are not currently making them.It may be months! Like I don't need my truck? My next stop is Fiat-Chrysler (FCA) What good is a warranty with no parts? They should at least furnish a loaner. Venting.
Welcome to the forum - First post.

At least I brought it up again in Keyfisherman1's thread.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE After taking my truck back 3 times they finally checked the EGR and said that was the problem. They said the parts are ordered and it could take 6 to 8 weeks to get the parts. They said they have an ECO sitting in the shop that has been waiting 6 weeks for the part. Are there any other issues I should have them check given that guys on this website knew the problem before the damn dealership could diagnose things? I had to send a lengthy email to Ram Care, the service manager and the GM listing the items guys on here said to check and then miraculously they found the problem. Are there any longer term items I should have them check?

·
Registered
12,631 Posts
Glad you came back and did a follow-up with positive information. FCA is usually pretty good. Dealers ... hit and miss.

You cannot really predict when, if at anytime, something might be a problem. Your EGR issue is common. That also tells everyone that you are running an operating EGR system that is and has been sooting up your engine, heating the EGR to failure and plugging up many of those EGR parts with that soot. Many of us do not deal with any of that and therefore rarely suffer with EGR issues and all the bad things resulting from having a working one. I have GDE. It electronically turns off the EGR system. That does eliminate all the issues with the damaging affects of soot both in that system and in the engine. It does NOT cure or stop any leakage with the EGR. That can only be done with block-off plates.

Historically those of us that have stopped this EGR system with GDE run tens to hundreds of thousands of trouble-free miles without EGR issues. If we do get them the solution is quite simple but another topic.

Get yours fixed, Check it out. Then do yourself a favor and read around here so you learn and know about GDE. Then make an informed decision.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Glad you came back and did a follow-up with positive information. FCA is usually pretty good. Dealers ... hit and miss.

You cannot really predict when, if at anytime, something might be a problem. Your EGR issue is common. That also tells everyone that you are running an operating EGR system that is and has been sooting up your engine, heating the EGR to failure and plugging up many of those EGR parts with that soot. Many of us do not deal with any of that and therefore rarely suffer with EGR issues and all the bad things resulting from having a working one. I have GDE. It electronically turns off the EGR system. That does eliminate all the issues with the damaging affects of soot both in that system and in the engine. It does NOT cure or stop any leakage with the EGR. That can only be done with block-off plates.

Historically those of us that have stopped this EGR system with GDE run tens to hundreds of thousands of trouble-free miles without EGR issues. If we do get them the solution is quite simple but another topic.

Get yours fixed, Check it out. Then do yourself a favor and read around here so you learn and know about GDE. Then make an informed decision.
Thanks brother.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts