RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We would like to welcome Cool Tech, LLC as our newest Supporting Vendor!

Please take a moment to check out their website at the following URL:

CoolTechLLC

·
Registered
704 Posts
Thanks for the welcome. I'll post a couple of small products we have for the Ram by the weekend once I get the install instructions written and the packaging all done. I have a quantity of 100 units made (optimistic thinker!) so we should be able to fulfill orders right away.

To let the cat out of the bag, we will have a very robust but OEM-like CB antenna mount for the Ram. With the antenna un-screwed, you will be hard-pressed to see/notice the mount location. With the antenna in place, you will have a well-performing CB antenna with no bad characteristics (whipping around in the wind, whistling, etc.). We have done a lot of testing to insure this OEM-like appearance AND behavior. We will sell the mount + antenna + (specialized) coax as a complete kit.

The second complementary product is something we call the VersaMount. This is a vehicle-specific mount that is intended to be the place to hang your CB microphone. We are a big advocate of the Cobra 75WXST CB with everything built into the microphone. Although you can attach any CB (or ham radio) microphone to our VersaMount is has been pre-drilled for this Cobra CB and engineered in a way to keep the 75WXST easily visible and accessible.

Finally, we will offer an all-in-one package. Essentially, one-stop shopping if you want to add a CB solution to your Ram truck and you just want everything to work together. In this package, we will include the CB antenna mount kit, the VersaMount, and a Cobra 75 WXST.

I hope the folks here will like our solutions as much as the Jeep forum guys like our Jeep products!

·
Registered
704 Posts
Where can I find pictures of the antenna and mount installed on a RAM 1500?
Thanks for asking. As antiquated as the technology is, CB radio is still the defacto communication method for long haul truckers as well as most off-roaders. As such, if you travel a lot with your Ram truck, a CB might be of some consideration as it provides both a measure of additional safety as well as some entertainment value. However, CB antenna mounts are often pretty ugly and not real practical when you are not traveling. As such, we wanted to develop a product that was 1) easy to install; 2) practically invisible when not being used; 3) functioned well, and; 4) looked as much like OEM when used. with these parameters in mind, here is a couple of pictures of our CB antenna kit.

RamUM2.JPG

RamUM3.JPG

RamUM1.JPG

RamUM4.JPG

On the inside of the truck, we had similar objectives. We wanted to have a place to "mount" a CB but we wanted to have it be as un-obtrusive as possible when both present and not present. One of the most popular CB's in the world is Cobra's 75WXST which is an all-in-one unit. We have sold a LOT of these and like them quite a bit for their performance and practicality. For us, the 75 WX ST was a great fit for what we wanted to achieve for the Ram. So, we just needed to come up with a clever mount - what we call the "Ram VersaMount", and offer that as an additional option to folks that may consider our antenna solution. Here's a couple of pics of the Ram VersaMount.

RM_Versa1.JPG

RM_Versa2.JPG

Finally, for folks who just want to have the convenience of one-stop shopping for a complete solution, we have a package that includes the CB, the VersaMount, and the Antenna w/mount.

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
Best wishes to you in your enterprise, CoolTech!

·
Registered
309 Posts
That antenna mount looks great! Don't suppose you offer a cap (preferably with a gasket or rubber lining) to seal it from rain while the antenna is not in use? Maybe in black, so it would be even more invisible. ^_^

·
Super Moderator
2,999 Posts
Had I seen this before buying my CB & antenna and setting it up.. this is very slick. Much better than having a honking big CB in your cab. Some might like the option of having the antenna at the front of the bed or between the bed and cab directly behind the driver. It seems the most common place I see people mount their antenna.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just bought the antenna. Very quality product. Do you feed the cable between the fender before attaching it to the vehicle bolt?

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
This thing is pretty awesome. My brother did a DIY of something identical on his 2000 Super Duty, mirrored the AM/FM antenna on the other side, looks great!
How are they holding up for people so far?

That antenna mount looks great! Don't suppose you offer a cap (preferably with a gasket or rubber lining) to seal it from rain while the antenna is not in use? Maybe in black, so it would be even more invisible. ^_^
I would assume this is a 3/8-24 thread antenna connector. Maybe instead of something that covers the nut, try a matching thread nylon black plug that can be threaded into it. I found some of those and could even add an O-ring if really necessary.

·
Super Moderator
2,999 Posts
Well I have changed the fluids in my transmission, transfer case, and front and rear differentials. The transmission was SLOW and especially messy with the old CHEAP plastic parts store pump. I have now ordered the Cool Tech transfer pump and am anxiously awaiting its arrival. :)

·
Registered
704 Posts
Hope you like it! We came up with the idea when we were servicing a lot of Ford GT40's. Ford wants the transaxle fluid changed at the first year mark. The GT hold 4 quarts of fluid (at a cost of $38/quart), and one time I was standing there counting the number of up and down strokes on those hand pumps. It was about 120 strokes/quart. There HAS to be a better way. Off to Home Depot and gathering of some parts and "ta da" the Lube Mover was born. LOL Now we keep a container around that has this transaxle fluid in it and putting it into the car is (comparatively) a piece of cake!!

·
Super Moderator
2,999 Posts
Have a buddy with a small shop two lifts. He as was I very impressed with the lube mover. He said he is going to get one for his shop. Quick & clean what a change from the cheap flimsy auto parts store units.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Hey CoolTech, I'm in SoCal. Do you guys do GDE Tune installations?
Hi Ron! Congrats on your ED purchase! I've had mine since 2014 - one of the very best vehicles I've ever owned!

The GDE "tune" is really an ECU swap. You have two choices. 1) Buy the tune (ECU) with a deposit for returning your ECU. When the new ECU arrives (with your tune already installed), simply swap ECU's and return your OEM ECU to them and they will refund your deposit. 2) alternatively, you can purchase an ECU (on Ebay, for example) and ship them this ECU for programming. Then when you receive the ECU back from them you will have both the programmed ECU and your OEM and you can swap the OEM back in if ever needed.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks! I love it so far and am sure will love it even more after the GDE tune. I appreciate the info you provided, however, I asked if you perform the installs simply because I'm just not sure I trust myself doing the swap myself with pulling the airbox out and the ECM itself.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Thanks! I love it so far and am sure will love it even more after the GDE tune. I appreciate the info you provided, however, I asked if you perform the installs simply because I'm just not sure I trust myself doing the swap myself with pulling the airbox out and the ECM itself.
The pcm swap is very easy it can be done with the air box installed. It's literally four M6 bolts and two connectors, all you need is a 1/4 inch ratchet with a 10mm shallow socket. It is a little easier if you unplug the maf sensor and move the top of the air box over some.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts