RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2016 and for the past year or so I have noticed my coolant keeps dropping slowly. The cap is hard to turn or remove and install. I have looked for leaks and have not found a leak anywhere on the truck. The only thing I have noticed was the overflow tube has white and pink residual on it and coolant seems to be coming from there. I have also noticed that the coolant seems to leak when the RPM's are higher. I went to fill the reservoir yesterday and as soon as I got to the middle or add mark it started coming out the overflow tube. It would not allow me to add coolant all the way to the full line. I have no white smoke and truck runs very well currently, I'm at a loss. I have ordered a new reservoir and will install as soon as it arrives. hoping that is the issue. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks.

·
Administrator
9,781 Posts
If I remember correctly, the overflow opening at the neck where the cap seats connects to an internal tube that runs within the reservoir down to the external tube. I'm thinking maybe the tube within the reservoir is cracked? Let us know what happens after replacing it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If I remember correctly, the overflow opening at the neck where the cap seats connects to an internal tube that runs within the reservoir down to the external tube. I'm thinking maybe the tube within the reservoir is cracked? Let us know what happens after replacing it.
Thanks for the comment, I sure hope that is the case. I will update as soon as I get it installed and drive it a little bit.

·
Registered
2021 Ram 2500 Tradesman Crew Cab 6.7 L Turbo Cummins 3.73
1,419 Posts
It was a common complaint, including myself, about the stiffness of the coolant cap.

Mine got so tight it broke. The new one went on and off with ease.

In the 3 years of owning my 2017 Ecodiesel, I found out, keeping the coolant on the full line would cause some to "burp" out eventually, especially when towing and hot hot. After a while the level settled somewhere in-between the full and add lines and would stay there.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It was a common complaint, including myself, about the stiffness of the coolant cap.

Mine got so tight it broke. The new one went on and off with ease.

In the 3 years of owning my 2017 Ecodiesel, I found out, keeping the coolant on the full line would cause some to "burp" out eventually, especially when towing and hot hot. After a while the level settled somewhere in-between the full and add lines and would stay there.
That’s what my truck used to do too. But now the coolant keeps leaking from the tube at higher RPM’s. I’m hoping that by replacing the reservoir it will fix the issue.

·
Premium Member
5,351 Posts
I replaced the cap on my '16 and it's been easy to turn ever since. Use the part number on the cap in the Amazon search bar and you'll find a replacement.

My '16 also pushes a little coolant from the overflow when I work the truck hard. Just enough to evaporate and cause a coolant odor. I've had the oil test positive for coolant contamination lately so you might want to consider having the oil analyzed.

·
Premium Member
2,344 Posts
Reactions: swimmer

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I replaced the cap on my '16 and it's been easy to turn ever since. Use the part number on the cap in the Amazon search bar and you'll find a replacement.

My '16 also pushes a little coolant from the overflow when I work the truck hard. Just enough to evaporate and cause a coolant odor. I've had the oil test positive for coolant contamination lately so you might want to consider having the oil analyzed.
Thanks for that. I have an oil change coming up so I will make sure to pull some for a sample.

·
Premium Member
5,351 Posts
Thanks for that. I have an oil change coming up so I will make sure to pull some for a sample.
Jump on Blackstone's website and they'll send you free test kits with postage already attached.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts