RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please help. I'm currently deployed in the middle east. I had my wife take our 2015 ram 1500 diesel into our local dealership in response to a recall. She mentioned that she had been concerned about the truck accelerating. She just forwarded me the email from the dealership below. I'm not the most mechanically inclined so any assistance would be much appreciated. I did change the oil not that long before I left and know the oil life to not be at 0%.

Vehicle will not run regeneration process due to engine oil life being at 0%. We recommend performing a factory lof service along with fuel filter service to correct this concern. We would need to run the regen procedure after this to ensure there are no further issues for the acceleration concern.During inspection we found the vehicle has a major concern. The cooling system has been contaminated with transmission fluid. The technician has determined that the transmission fluid cooler has internally ruptured allowing transmission fluid to enter the engine cooling system. Contamination of this nature results in damage to the rubber and plastic components of the cooling system including all hoses and flow valves.To correct this concern all of these parts including the transmission cooler will need to be replaced and the cooling system will need to flushed multiple times to clear out contamination. It is possible that coolant has entered the transmission as well. If the repair is approved, the first step will need to be removal of the trans fluid pan and inspection of the fluid. If contamination has occurred the transmission will need to be replaced as well and the estimate of repairs will be re configured before any further work is performed. The sample of transmission fluid we inspected does not seem to show contamination, but pan removal is needed to be sure.The repair if no transmission contamination is present, which is what we expect, will run $6,000 including parts, labor, and tax. If we pull the transmission pan and there is contamination, if you choose not to fix the concern the cost of diag, inspection, parts, tax, and labor for re assembly would cost $800. My transmission tech is off today so I don't have an exact estimate, but transmission replacement would be in the area of $5,000 to $6,000 in addition to original estimate.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Please help. I'm currently deployed in the middle east. I had my wife take our 2015 ram 1500 diesel into our local dealership in response to a recall. She mentioned that she had been concerned about the truck accelerating. She just forwarded me the email from the dealership below. I'm not the most mechanically inclined so any assistance would be much appreciated. I did change the oil not that long before I left and know the oil life to not be at 0%.

Vehicle will not run regeneration process due to engine oil life being at 0%. We recommend performing a factory lof service along with fuel filter service to correct this concern. We would need to run the regen procedure after this to ensure there are no further issues for the acceleration concern.During inspection we found the vehicle has a major concern. The cooling system has been contaminated with transmission fluid. The technician has determined that the transmission fluid cooler has internally ruptured allowing transmission fluid to enter the engine cooling system. Contamination of this nature results in damage to the rubber and plastic components of the cooling system including all hoses and flow valves.To correct this concern all of these parts including the transmission cooler will need to be replaced and the cooling system will need to flushed multiple times to clear out contamination. It is possible that coolant has entered the transmission as well. If the repair is approved, the first step will need to be removal of the trans fluid pan and inspection of the fluid. If contamination has occurred the transmission will need to be replaced as well and the estimate of repairs will be re configured before any further work is performed. The sample of transmission fluid we inspected does not seem to show contamination, but pan removal is needed to be sure.The repair if no transmission contamination is present, which is what we expect, will run $6,000 including parts, labor, and tax. If we pull the transmission pan and there is contamination, if you choose not to fix the concern the cost of diag, inspection, parts, tax, and labor for re assembly would cost $800. My transmission tech is off today so I don't have an exact estimate, but transmission replacement would be in the area of $5,000 to $6,000 in addition to original estimate.
I sincerely apologize for the trouble, @Fdesimone89. Please know that your wife may follow up with our customer care team for further support as she works with the dealer! Agents are available by calling in at 866-726-4636 or you can submit your info here to receive an email follow up: Email Ram.

Please do not hesitate to follow up with us via private message if you have any additional questions!

Mark
RamCares

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Run far far away that dealership has no idea what there doing. First thing is the transmission is cooled via air flow not coolant but it is warmed via coolant. Second is they have no way to test if the coolant is contamined with transmission fluid or oil without more tests since both are dark brown. Third is even if there diagnosis was an issue, there is a check engine code that can disable regen when oil life hits zero and goes 500 miles past. Just tell her to never use that dealer again and dont approve anything they recommend.

·
Registered
122 Posts
This has apparently happened before. Below is a quote from someone who had the same problem.
"2016 Ram Ecodiesel 1500. Has 74000 miles. Transmission cooler failed internally causing tranny fluid to mix with cooling fluid causing a sour cream like mixture throughout cooling system. FCA customer service denied the claim since the cooler is under the 3 year/36k warranty and not the 5 year/100k. Chrysler said to replace engine,cooler,radiator and transmission to the tune of $18000. My mechanic performed 15 radiator flushes and 7 tranny flushes, a cooling bypass valve, thermostat and housing and a coolant reservoir. The only thing that worked to breakdown the mixture was a cup of Dawn dish soap. Cost around $2000. Ran great after fix but lost my faith in the truck andChrysler service. I had other issues with the emissions filter and the mid-represented mileage. Took the hit, traded it in and now drive a 2017 3.5 Ford F-150 Ecoboost. Couldn’t be happier"

I would recommend getting a second opinion, and if it's out of warranty, having an independent transmission company or mechanic fix the issue rather then the dealer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts