RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have done a lot of reading in the past months trying to determine why I was losing coolant.

To start, when the truck was new (first 3 months) I did notice a coolant leak and could smell coolant. The Water Pump was replaced and the coolant smell went away.

I kept seeing the coolant drop, but always appeared to be some remaining in the overflow bottle, so I didn't worry about it, stopped topping up coolant as is seemed to stop there. (I hear you screaming, I know now)

At about 110,000km an EGR code popped up. From everything I have read hear and elsewhere, I went straight to the EGR Intake tube. I found it almost completely blocked. I cleaned it out, reinstalled, cleared the code and back up and running with no issues....

EGR Pipe.jpg

Over the next 10,000 km the truck ran fine. The coolant stayed where it always was (in hindsight low) and no issues until.... the engine overheated.

Trying to troubleshoot the problem and figure out the cause, I replaced the Thermostat. It was then that I started to get the idea that the coolant level was lower than I had ever thought. The overflow bottle provides a false sense of coolant level. I know now that the coolant overflow will always have about an inch showing even if the entire cooling system is empty.

After reading and going through all the issues trying to narrow down the problem, I believed it to be the EGR Cooler. FCA believes that the EGR and EGR Cooler are not emissions equipment as determined by the emissions warranty. How convenient!

I finally ordered a FULL EGR/EGR Cooler Delete so I could confirm the cooler was indeed the culprit. I was losing upwards of a litre a day with no signs of leakage except the odd time the overflow bottle with vacate a bunch of coolant to the ground. This lead to some of the confusion.

I installed the EGR Full Delete and found coolant in the EGR tube as well as the port going to the turbo. So all of this time I have been feeding coolant into my intake and turbo. Not good! I have had the delete installed for about a week now and the truck runs much better and I no longer leak coolant. (I do not have a tune yet as I wanted to confirm first)

Delete.jpg

EGR COOLER.jpg

While operating with a delete and no GDE tune, I have several codes and on every third start the Electronic Throttle Control Service message comes up and puts the truck into a limited throttle mode. Once I clear all codes, the throttle operates normally for the next three starts. Truck runs great.

So, just to contribute my finding for others, I thought I could share and hopefully help someone else prevent the long term damage of the ED Cooler leak problem.

Now I believe that this issue will contribute to early engine, DPF or turbo failure as these must have been affected by all of this coolant running through them. So I am looking at getting a new 2018 and starting over.

Has anyone had the EGR Cooler leak issue on a 2017 or 2018? Did they change something for 2018? It appears the EGR Full delete is not compatible with the 2018 which says something changed.

My lessons learned:

Watch the coolant level and demand the repairs under warranty immediately. You do not want to be the service adviser at the dealership telling me everything is OK if I start losing coolant in the new truck. I'll be watching.....

I will get the GDE Tune done within the first 3 months to stop all the carbon from building up in the intake.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Oh yeah , that bottle tells you a lot about this engine ,
you learned it all the hard way Domino ....
I knew the truck would still go with EGR cooler deleted and no tune , and that codes would be thrown ,
because i read about another member who ran his truck for a week before receiving his module from GDE ,
Thanks to you , who went for longer , we know of the the 3 run cycles details , always nice to know erasing CELs
over and over can keep you running without the tune , just one big PITA .

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hindsight is 20/20!

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
seen a lot of diffuser tube images , yours is the ugliest I think ...
the GDE hot tune is " EGR delete ready/compatible " , for 2017 and 2018 also ,
the difference with 2017 and 2018 is a thing of the past , GDE figured it out ,
and since early June 2018 the hot tune on all years can work the same way .
I read some updated part # is out for EGr cooler , don't know if it will be any better .
new part numbers :
Egr Cooler 68239570-AC
Bushing 68150065-AB
one O Ring 68150060-AA
other O Ring 68150058-AA

·
Registered
201 Posts
does the EGR problem have a recall? I haven't experienced any problems but I'm wondering if dodge applied some type of recall to fix it before I purchased it.
I can't do an EGR delete without voiding the warranty, but if there is an updated part I'll get them to install it before fogging the engine with coolant.

·
Super Moderator
2,996 Posts
Back when I first reported about the coolant level being deceptively low because of the system keeping a minimum amount in the degas bottle. I wondered if over time this will lead to putting more EDs in the bone yard than anything else because heads headgaskets water pumps to a lesser degree radiators all are expensive time consuming repairs that can leave you on the side of the road and frustrated. If you can't delete the EGR yet or its still slowly loosing coolant elsewhere and you haven't gotten it resolved at least check it from time to time and keep it to the seam. She can still live a long low repairs life as we have seen with four plus 200k / 7,000 hour motors.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
seen a lot of diffuser tube images , yours is the ugliest I think ...
the GDE hot tune is " EGR delete ready/compatible " , for 2017 and 2018 also ,
the difference with 2017 and 2018 is a thing of the past , GDE figured it out ,
and since early June 2018 the hot tune on all years can work the same way .
I read some updated part # is out for EGr cooler , don't know if it will be any better .
new part numbers :
Egr Cooler 68239570-AC
Bushing 68150065-AB
one O Ring 68150060-AA
other O Ring 68150058-AA

I wasn't trying to get the Ugliest prize ;)

The difference I was referring to was not the GDE Hot Tune, but the actual 2018 EcoDiesel. Its the EGR Delete kits that seem to end at 2017. Why?

It is very good to see a change in part # for the EGR cooler. Hopefully it has been improved. It can't be any worse....

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
I don't want to make you buy a kit that would not fit , but honestly I see no difference in the 17 and 18 original EGR coolers
may be Worth a quick email to Sasquatch to see what they say about the kit also fitting the 2017 , 2018 .
Looking at the Sasquatch page I don't see anywhere about 2018 not fitting , where is the info you are referring to coming from Domino ??
https://shop.sasquatchparts.com/products/egr-delete-ram-jeep-ecodiesel/
https://shop.sasquatchparts.com/contact/
on CFT site , the dropdown window only asks for model with no distincytion of year for Ecodiesel.
Ram, and Grand Cherokee Eco Diesel EGR FULL DELETE kit - CFT Performance INC.
the only "heads up " i can give you is about the Sasquatch kits ,
they have a #1 kit , a #2 kit , and a ((#1 AND #2)) kit
if you buy the number 2 it is only to complete the already purchsed kit #1
so..if you start from nothing , you need the ((#1 and 2 )) kit .

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't want to make you buy a kit that would not fit , but honestly I see no difference in the 17 and 18 original EGR coolers
may be Worth a quick email to Sasquatch to see what they say about the kit also fitting the 2017 , 2018 .
Looking at the Sasquatch page I don't see anywhere about 2018 not fitting , where is the info you are referring to coming from Domino ??
https://shop.sasquatchparts.com/products/egr-delete-ram-jeep-ecodiesel/
https://shop.sasquatchparts.com/contact/
on CFT site , the dropdown window only asks for model with no distincytion of year for Ecodiesel.
Ram, and Grand Cherokee Eco Diesel EGR FULL DELETE kit - CFT Performance INC.
the only "heads up " i can give you is about the Sasquatch kits ,
they have a #1 kit , a #2 kit , and a ((#1 AND #2)) kit
if you buy the number 2 it is only to complete the already purchsed kit #1
so..if you start from nothing , you need the ((#1 and 2 )) kit .
Well now that you ask, I can't find where I was seeing the EGR Delete kits showing years. I've done so many searches lately... I may have lost my mind.

I have the CFT kit now installed on my 2016, which I will need to de-install if I trade it in. So I'll have a starting point. I was hoping the lack of 2018 compatibility was an indication of a change, possibly for the better.

And thanks, good to know about the Sasquatch kit.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts

.... I was losing upwards of a litre a day with no signs of leakage except the odd time the overflow bottle with vacate a bunch of coolant to the ground. This lead to some of the confusion. .

.. that little bit of info is the only positive note to your bad EGR cooler , at least the coolant
that came out of your tube that hooks Under the degas bottle didn't find its way in your exhaust
and clog the DPF , see this thread , clogging mentioned more in post # 19 : 2016 Losing Coolant
and in here the post # 39 : 2016 ED Still Losing Coolant - Page 2
about the cap on the degas bottle that POPS - UP , when pressure of the exhaust Inside defective EGR cooler gets cooling system over 16 PSI
then coolant trickles out of th" bottom degas bottle tube " and falls to the groud because the said tube ends at the middle of the RAD height .
picture of tube in a Mirror .

Attachments

·
Registered
12,641 Posts
You WIN!

You just made the strongest case for GDE I ever could imagine.

EGR Pipe by Larry Malinoski, on Flickr

There are many here who continue to cry about warranty and avoid the expense of GDE but build this mess into their engines. It's unavoidable with the EGR systems in modern diesel engines. Sure cements the idea that you can ..."pay now or pay later".

·
Registered
600 Posts
Wow that's horrible. And by the looks of that picture the cooler was actually leaking then. The soot should be soft but dry. That looks like wet oil.

·
Registered
87 Posts
My wife has the ecodiesel l, but i never hear about these issues on my duramax.. or a cummins. Is this just a crappy design?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
600 Posts
I think the issue is (and this is just a thought ) the extra foam to keep vibration and noise down also keeps the heat in until it hits the cooler air in the intake. Then of course it makes a horrible turn. Now I cleaned mine out it wasn't bad and it was dry so it was easy. I removed all of the foam from the engine so now it sounds more like a diesel but I also found with pulling the new camper, even some just regular driving unloaded there is some new vibration being transferred into the cab. But those are things not found on the other diesels. So it is a bit of a give and take. Things like EGR, HPFP and fuel lines stay cooler. But more engine noise, turbo sound and less vibration control.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I think the issue is (and this is just a thought ) the extra foam to keep vibration and noise down also keeps the heat in until it hits the cooler air in the intake. Then of course it makes a horrible turn. Now I cleaned mine out it wasn't bad and it was dry so it was easy. I removed all of the foam from the engine so now it sounds more like a diesel but I also found with pulling the new camper, even some just regular driving unloaded there is some new vibration being transferred into the cab. But those are things not found on the other diesels. So it is a bit of a give and take. Things like EGR, HPFP and fuel lines stay cooler. But more engine noise, turbo sound and less vibration control.
Thanks. I think my lml dmax isn't loud and i kept all the emissions in tack. 6 years old. But only 23k on the odo.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Thanks. I think my lml dmax isn't loud and i kept all the emissions in tack. 6 years old. But only 23k on the odo.

I don't think its loud. It just has more of the diesel sounds but I'm used to it I drive a 24 ft straight truck with a 6.7 Cummins so the diesel is a sweet sound to me. But the Ecodiesel is still quieter then both my friends one has a 13 hemi and the other has a deleted duramax.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Took my truck in again on Friday after just three weeksof the dealer replacing the EGR cooler. I smelled burning coolant and when I popped the hood, the coolant level was way low. I topped it off, took it for a 14 mile trip and it had consumed all the coolant I put in. Let's see what they tell me now. Didn't hear from them on Saturday and if I don't hear from them by 12, I'll be giving my service adviser a call.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Took my truck in again on Friday after just three weeksof the dealer replacing the EGR cooler. I smelled burning coolant and when I popped the hood, the coolant level was way low. I topped it off, took it for a 14 mile trip and it had consumed all the coolant I put in. Let's see what they tell me now. Didn't hear from them on Saturday and if I don't hear from them by 12, I'll be giving my service adviser a call.

Don't give up until they figure it out 100% and you stop losing coolant! It could be the cooler again....

·
Registered
201 Posts
how long does it take this problem to develop? I can't afford to void my warranty, if something brakes when I'm gone I don't want my wife to deal with any bs from the dealership due to a modification.
I'm assuming an EGR delete would void the entire engine warranty?
Other than replacing the EGR when it fails is there any permanent damage?

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
how long does it take this problem to develop? I can't afford to void my warranty, if something brakes when I'm gone I don't want my wife to deal with any bs from the dealership due to a modification.
I'm assuming an EGR delete would void the entire engine warranty?
Other than replacing the EGR when it fails is there any permanent damage?
IMO, as I'm no expert...

The EGR full delete should cause your dealer to seriously question warranty and likely require you to restore it before they would work on it. This maybe State/province dependent. I personally would not delete/remove any emissions equipment while under warranty. That said, I will be getting a GDE Tune that will disable the EGR as soon as I get my new ED while under warranty. (Not a EGR Cooler leak solution or prevention)

I believe the EGR Cooler problem starts early as a small leak and gets worse over time/mileage. I feel that's what happened to me. I have read a few posts about replacement EGR Coolers failing and /or continued loss of coolant after EGR Cooler replacement. This is not a one part fixes all problem.

I also believe that if a little bit of coolant goes through your engine for a short period of time, there should not be any long term affect. However, I also find it difficult to believe that there would be no long term affect in a vehicle that has had a significant leak over an extended period of time. Long term damage could include DPF Clogging, Internal engine corrosion or clogging, possibly bearing failure if the coolant got to any of those, and Turbo failure.

Check your coolant when cold. It should always be the same level. Also important to note again, one inch of coolant in the bottle is effectively empty.

1 - 20 of 135 Posts