RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

81 - 100 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yet another update: Dealership received the part but wait... they need the o-rings and the isolators for the install. Which isolators are on back order due in January. So I get to drive in a ticking bomb? Since the EGR cooler leaks coolant into the exhaust system at a rate of about 2 gallons a week at 20.00 a gallon I asked who will pay for that? FCA Customer Service said "I need to monitor the coolant level and fill as needed". .. We'll at this point I want to crawl through the phone & ......... So I'm at point of what to do? Truck needs to get fixed,,, it's under warranty but no parts... Dam !!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I asked about the part, I was told it was a different part number, so they say. But I have little trust in RAM Customer Care. I guess I'll call them again and ask for upper mgmt,, oh wait I'm sure I'll get some BS Story that there is none.. or something like that.. Thought of trading it in... but this truck is paid for.. don't want another payment so soon.

·
Registered
27 Posts
we'll dealer gave me another truck to "use" for a while until they can figure out where to get the necessary parts. While I was there I asked about a trade in.. And as noted in this forum, at least this dealership in Everett Washington, Dwayne Lanes would only give me whole sale price because of the issue.. Gotta love it. so they have my truck until??

·
Registered
18 Posts
I haven’t been following this issue until now. Nov 19, 2 miles from airport, I hear the whine of the fan motor, I look at the temp gauge and it is normal. I park at airport and return Nov 22. 10 miles into my drive home, I hear the fan again and temp still shows as normal I then get engine is over heating flashing on dash along with bells going off. I pull off and notice low coolant. I google the issue and see the EGR Cooler leak and recall VB1. I luckily had a gallon of water in the truck, I added it and went straight to dealer. They tell me they can’t fix it and will need to wait till the recall takes effect Dec 13. After much discussion, they finally put me in a very base Jeep Cherokee.
Shouldn’t my gauge have shown the temp going up? It still showed half way when the warning was flashing on the dash. Do I sit and wait or start the process of getting a temporary fix?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Was at the dealership for a different service issue and they told me the truck has a recall for the Egr cooler. They will install a redesigned cooler to stop leaks and remove the possibility of spontaneous combustion. I said go ahead as they were keeping the truck for a couple of days (I had a water leak in the cabin they needed to trace. Turns out the windshield was not installed correctly.). They said no they couldn't do the Egr fix as the part hasn't been designed yet! Whiskey Tango Foxtrot!?

·
Registered
18 Posts
you added a lot of water to very little coolant , if the truck is not stored inside , that water will freeze ,
I hope the dealer drained the system and added coolant while waiting for new design EGR
coolers to arrive and to swap yours on the EGR recall .
Thanks - I am located in Atlanta, very little possibility of freezing.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Ah crap , I guess I saw the Canada flag on Novanorm's post
and applied it to your post .....no freezing in Atlanta of course , sorry Tom.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Per my previous post the dealership I went to and RAM FCA Customer Care told me the parts are not available until January 2020, so this means my truck will be sitting out in the dealers yard for 6 weeks ... So maybe they need buy it back? I'm sure they will give me pennies on a dollar and try to get me to make payments on a new truck. Here is my thoughts. We purchases these trucks with the thought that they are built correctly ( or assuming so) then they break because of crappy or poor materials, design and/or both. Then the want us to pay for their mistakes? What ??? So, while I have their loaner I'm needing to dig deeper on either the legal side or to start making more noise at FCA / RAM Customer Care (now there is a oxymoron for you, "customer care"). Yeah they done't give a crap about customers.. who cares? we'll at this point I guess I'm just plain angry. I paid nearly all cash for a new truck just a few years ago and now they want me to do what ??? ARGH !! :devilish:

·
Registered
12,640 Posts
As long as the coolant level is at least the minimum and does not drop, things should be fine. There have been some reports of a low coolant level in the bottle staying the same while the fill in the system dropped alarmingly. Watch the temperature gauge if you think there might be an issue and, of course, top off the coolant bottle.

Without parts available there just might be a back-up at dealers just to get things fixed. This sure is a burden to owners.

·
Registered
18 Posts
As long as the coolant level is at least the minimum and does not drop, things should be fine. There have been some reports of a low coolant level in the bottle staying the same while the fill in the system dropped alarmingly. Watch the temperature gauge if you think there might be an issue and, of course, top off the coolant bottle.

Without parts available there just might be a back-up at dealers just to get things fixed. This sure is a burden to owners.
In my case, the temp gauge showed normal as the engine is overheating warning came on. Apparently, the coolant had dropped below the level of the sensor so it didn't know how hot the coolant was.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Per my previous post the dealership I went to and RAM FCA Customer Care told me the parts are not available until January 2020, so this means my truck will be sitting out in the dealers yard for 6 weeks ... So maybe they need buy it back?
The EGR is covered by the AEM. The AEM stipulates that buyback would begin if the truck is at the dealership longer than 30 days.

I’d say you have a case for Stern or whatever the attorney is handling the class action.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I called NHTSA today and was told because my truck is 2016 I do not fall within the "30 Day rule" and that I need to wait. Another thing they told me is as of today, the 26th of November 2019 FCA/RAM is allowing each dealership to only order "two parts every 7 days". Then based on where you are on a "list" at the dealership is when you get the part. Additioally, NHTSA told me that this affects over 108,000 trucks but they consider this a "small" recall based on how many of these trucks were manufactured. Only things I've done is filed a complaint with the State Attorney General's office, a formal BBB Complaint and another Complaint to NHTSA. Seems I'm at the mercy of the "LIST" .... But still really pissed about how FCA/RAM is handling this. They know there is a defected part out there, and should just replace the trucks..

·
Registered
18 Posts

When I look at the settlement, which you can see when clicking on "what if my vehicle is not operable" there is nothing stating the year of the truck.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I asked the dealership about parts that were ordered, this is what I got back: Any way to tell if these are the old or new (post) EGR Recall part numbers? price is nuts too.

Part: 68483334AA :COOLER: EGR VALVE 1 2163.20 Spec Ord

Part: 68490221AA :BUSHING: ISOLATOR 2 21.18 Spec Ord

Part: 68150058AA :O RING: NONE 2 6.30 12.60

81 - 100 of 135 Posts