RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

101 - 120 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
As far as the "settlement" on the ECODiesel, I'm sure that there is no issue as far as mileage goes.. Some one can correct me if I am incorrect.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I called NHTSA today and was told because my truck is 2016 I do not fall within the "30 Day rule" and that I need to wait.
I’m referring to the AEM update. If you had that done, you get an extended warranty. In the terms of the AEM, if your truck is in the shop 4 times for the same issue (unresolved) OR in the shop for more than 30 days, you qualify for buyback. NHTSA would have nothing to do with it.

The AEM applies to 2014-2016 Ecodiesels.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I asked the dealership about parts that were ordered, this is what I got back: Any way to tell if these are the old or new (post) EGR Recall part numbers? price is nuts too.

Part: 68483334AA :COOLER: EGR VALVE 1 2163.20 Spec Ord

Part: 68490221AA :BUSHING: ISOLATOR 2 21.18 Spec Ord

Part: 68150058AA :O RING: NONE 2 6.30 12.60
The part number shown on my EGR Cooler replacement in June this year is : Cooler-EGR-Valve 68445601AA.
Not leaking yet, but I will be getting in line for the second version. I have read that the 2020 engine will have a low pressure EGR system, totally different location and fitment. Hard to tell if we will all be getting something like that. From the location of the low pressure unit, it looks like quite a project.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I am sure my EGR cooler is failing. I add approx 500ml coolant every two weeks after 1000km driving to and from work. I changed the oil on the weekend and figured while my hands were dirty I would check the EGR pipe and clean it. To my surprise the soot was thick and hardened on the wall of the pipe. I am really concerned now that the intake area is also saturated with a hard crusty soot mass. I hope the replacement parts come soon. I have removed all my personal items from the truck in case it does catch on fire. I called FCS Canada and the message said to contact my dealership as there is a limited supply of parts. Tomorrow its off to the dealership for their story.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Was at the dealership for a different service issue and they told me the truck has a recall for the Egr cooler. They will install a redesigned cooler to stop leaks and remove the possibility of spontaneous combustion. I said go ahead as they were keeping the truck for a couple of days (I had a water leak in the cabin they needed to trace. Turns out the windshield was not installed correctly.). They said no they couldn't do the Egr fix as the part hasn't been designed yet! Whiskey Tango Foxtrot!?
Call FCA to open a case with them. It helped me as they also communicate with the dealer.

They replaced my EGR cooler with a new recalled unit to buy time for me to get the new unit.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
We'll another day and not any closer to getting a fix. Even though the dealer has a EGR Cooler I'm not sure if it is the old or new model. When asking Customer "Care" ( we'll there is an oxymoron ) they told me that their goal is to get the truck back on the road and if this is NOT the new part it will be replaced under the recall. The current issue is covered under warranty repair. I'm still at awe when they told me that they (FCA/RAM) are only issuing two (2) parts per dealer per 7 days.. still scratch my head on that one..

·
Registered
37 Posts
Pass it on...Link to EGR failure recall VB1, and what mine looked like failed...Yes I have posted this in other threads, but I feel everyone here needs to see what is going on inside failed EGR, and the risk of fire caused by "creosote" (soot) build up in the "Chimney Pipe" (EGR to Intake), leading to a Fire.

Attachments

·
Registered
255 Posts
We'll another day and not any closer to getting a fix. Even though the dealer has a EGR Cooler I'm not sure if it is the old or new model. When asking Customer "Care" ( we'll there is an oxymoron ) they told me that their goal is to get the truck back on the road and if this is NOT the new part it will be replaced under the recall. The current issue is covered under warranty repair. I'm still at awe when they told me that they (FCA/RAM) are only issuing two (2) parts per dealer per 7 days.. still scratch my head on that one..
They don't have a fix yet so the EGR cooler the dealer has is the old one.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have done a lot of reading in the past months trying to determine why I was losing coolant.

To start, when the truck was new (first 3 months) I did notice a coolant leak and could smell coolant. The Water Pump was replaced and the coolant smell went away.

I kept seeing the coolant drop, but always appeared to be some remaining in the overflow bottle, so I didn't worry about it, stopped topping up coolant as is seemed to stop there. (I hear you screaming, I know now)

At about 110,000km an EGR code popped up. From everything I have read hear and elsewhere, I went straight to the EGR Intake tube. I found it almost completely blocked. I cleaned it out, reinstalled, cleared the code and back up and running with no issues....

View attachment 72976

Over the next 10,000 km the truck ran fine. The coolant stayed where it always was (in hindsight low) and no issues until.... the engine overheated.

Trying to troubleshoot the problem and figure out the cause, I replaced the Thermostat. It was then that I started to get the idea that the coolant level was lower than I had ever thought. The overflow bottle provides a false sense of coolant level. I know now that the coolant overflow will always have about an inch showing even if the entire cooling system is empty.

After reading and going through all the issues trying to narrow down the problem, I believed it to be the EGR Cooler. FCA believes that the EGR and EGR Cooler are not emissions equipment as determined by the emissions warranty. How convenient!

I finally ordered a FULL EGR/EGR Cooler Delete so I could confirm the cooler was indeed the culprit. I was losing upwards of a litre a day with no signs of leakage except the odd time the overflow bottle with vacate a bunch of coolant to the ground. This lead to some of the confusion.

I installed the EGR Full Delete and found coolant in the EGR tube as well as the port going to the turbo. So all of this time I have been feeding coolant into my intake and turbo. Not good! I have had the delete installed for about a week now and the truck runs much better and I no longer leak coolant. (I do not have a tune yet as I wanted to confirm first)

View attachment 72978

View attachment 72980

While operating with a delete and no GDE tune, I have several codes and on every third start the Electronic Throttle Control Service message comes up and puts the truck into a limited throttle mode. Once I clear all codes, the throttle operates normally for the next three starts. Truck runs great.

So, just to contribute my finding for others, I thought I could share and hopefully help someone else prevent the long term damage of the ED Cooler leak problem.

Now I believe that this issue will contribute to early engine, DPF or turbo failure as these must have been affected by all of this coolant running through them. So I am looking at getting a new 2018 and starting over.

Has anyone had the EGR Cooler leak issue on a 2017 or 2018? Did they change something for 2018? It appears the EGR Full delete is not compatible with the 2018 which says something changed.

My lessons learned:

Watch the coolant level and demand the repairs under warranty immediately. You do not want to be the service adviser at the dealership telling me everything is OK if I start losing coolant in the new truck. I'll be watching.....

I will get the GDE Tune done within the first 3 months to stop all the carbon from building up in the intake.
[/QUOT
So I have a 2017 and put the GDE tube into it and it uses no def fluid and I understand it shuts down the egr so I should not have any problems with plugging? The tune was done when the truck had less than 100 miles has 37k on it now with no issues.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Couple of questions on this EGR issue. As far as checking coolant level are you taking about looking at the overflow bottle and making sure the coolant level is between min and max and not decreasing overtime? Also I saw the notice is for FCA Canada vehicles so USA not impacted. Also I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee Ecodiesel. Why doesn't this recall impact the Jeep. Engine is identical and has the same AEM software as the trucks and the same issues you all talk about. Sluggish when cold, Regens Etc etc.

·
Registered
202 Posts
How do I check the actual coolant level in the radiator? I was checking the fluids during refuel yesterday and don't even see a reg radiator cap, just the overflow.
After reading one customer's overheating due to low coolant experience (with coolant still present in the overflow) I'd like to be sure.

·
Registered
12,651 Posts
How do I check the actual coolant level in the radiator? I was checking the fluids during refuel yesterday and don't even see a reg radiator cap, just the overflow.
After reading one customer's overheating due to low coolant experience (with coolant still present in the overflow) I'd like to be sure.
You don't.

That bottle is the access to the coolant system. It is not really an "overflow" bottle or expansion tank as with many other vehicles. It is the radiator cap. Now granted it does serve multiple purposes for expansion, visibility, coolant level etc.

It is also possible that when the level drops there is still some showing in that tank but the actually amount in the radiator and the system can and will continue to drop. If you show it as low it is possible the actual amount in the system is way low.

Keep it within the marks and go from there.

101 - 120 of 136 Posts