RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

121 - 135 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Couple of questions on this EGR issue.
1- As far as checking coolant level are you taking about looking at the overflow bottle and making sure the coolant level is between min and max and not decreasing overtime? ....
2- Why doesn't this recall impact the Jeep. Engine is identical ....
1- not an overflow bottle , ( as Captain said ) called "degas bottle" , don't try to open cap when cold ,
it is hard to turn , some have had the cap break in their hand ,
put a little warmth in it , (( not hot )) before turning , if hot it will spray out of the
tube that starts under the degas bottle , and exits where that tube ends , mid-height
of radiator on passenger side .
2- EGR cooler is not same design on Grand Cherokee as on RAM ,
does not mean they will not recall it later , but it is not the same .
here is an image of a different tube included in the EGR delete kits for the Grand cherokee ,
there is no such tube on the Ram EGR delete kits.

·
Registered
27 Posts
First thing I noticed is that the heater was we'll not heating into the cabin. Then I checked the coolant level in the bottle and it was below the min mark. I filled it up and it took over 1 gallon to get to the correct level. I then checked two days later and again dropped and put in another gallon. So, with no signs of leaking on the drive way or any visible leaks, I then took to the dealership and it diagnosed with a failed EGR Cooler, I'm in the US so not true about just Canada. According to FCA / RAM Customer care this is affecting over 100,000 units, additionally NHTSA also confirms this as I called them and spoke with a rep about this issue.

·
Registered
27 Posts
update 124: went to the dealership today and it appears the regional manager was involved with the local parts dept and magically the parts required appears and truck is now back on road. So, it appears that anytime that we have issues with these trucks we need to open up a case with FCA/RAM Customer care and also get the local service manager involved along with the regional manager of RAM to push through the request to get parts. On another Note this is a "BAND AID". The truck is still needing the VB1 recall to be completed on it once all of the parts are made available. This has been a stressful event and I'm sure a lot of people out there are having the same problems. We need to be very assertive in these matters. RAM needs to stand behind the trucks that they sell to us and have all parts available to repair our trucks within a timely manner. We need to be verbal and not quiet about this type of treatment.

·
Registered
27 Posts
We'll Truck back and not 50 miles down the road the Check Engine Light on again... I'm really wondering WTF is going on with this / these EcoDiesels. Seems like you get a few years of good use then they blow up.. ?? Really

·
Registered
12,644 Posts
We'll Truck back and not 50 miles down the road the Check Engine Light on again... I'm really wondering WTF is going on with this / these EcoDiesels. Seems like you get a few years of good use then they blow up.. ?? Really
So much for that. 50 miles??? Without the correct parts even available it was a surprise the dealer and that rep. could have the new parts to replace anything. Guess they used the old design or did something else that did not work. Surprised it was so fast so thinking this new CEL is NOT related to the coolant level drop.

·
Registered
27 Posts
We'll went to the dealership on Friday and the code is now a P245B00..
  • When the ECM detects improper voltage or resistance that is outside the normal expected value range within the exhaust gas recirculation cooler bypass control circuit, code P245B will be set and the check engine light, service engine soon light or both may be illuminated.
  • Read more at: https://www.obd-codes.com/p245b
So it appears there are problems with the EGR System. Back to Dealership on Monday and see what they have up their sleeve now. Customer Care, we'll there is not a lot of "care" there. I was also sent this information:

Here is the information on where to file a claim with National Center for Dispute Settlement:

www.ncdsusa.org

or
800-777-8119 ext 118

Mail:
12900 Hall Road Suite 401
Sterling Heights MI 48313

866-662-4639 option 5
586-226-2470 ext 118
Fax: 586-226-2559

Guess I'll be calling them too on Monday.. Almost tempted to trade and go back to a gas truck.. I do like the way RAM's look but maybe a 2500 with the 6.4 liter gas engine.. Who knows... I'll keep my options open for now. First I'll see what they say Monday .. Stay Tuned.....

more to come... what a pain in the ass.. Oh by the way the EGR Cooler is Made In Italy. I found a bar code on the new EGR they installed.

Sticker with the name DELLORTO MADE IN ITALY

·
Registered
18 Posts
Well, I’m going to say 1 word to my dealer. Hoping to hit the 30 day mark and doing the buyback. Will get a lot more for it than doing a trade - and who knows long it will be before they are even allowed to accept one on a trade.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had to start an on-line dispute via the ncdsusa.org which is the national center for dispute settlement. An Arbitrator.. Truck back in the shop, after this week it will probably be about 40 days in the shop over 6 months.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Beware of any arbitration process. They are all geared towards the manufacturer, and they will short you on every single line item vs. what your state's law is.
Make sure you know exactly what your state's lemon law calculations would get you before you go in. The biggest one they tend to short you on is the mileage, but they will do it everywhere.

In California I had the judge rule for the manufacturer, despite the truck being at the dealership over 45 days, in for repairs five times for broken cab mounts (ALL FOUR!), and a serious safety problem. I got no explanation from the judge, just a denial.
The manufacturer was represented by a lawyer, who basically spewed BS the entire proceeding. I called him out on multiple different lies (or "misunderstandings"). There is no way anyone could have walked out of that board thinking that the manufacturer was in the right. But the lawyer was laughing all the way out the door.
I hired a lawyer the next day.

Not saying you should completely abandon the arbitration, but absolutely know your rights, entitlements and what the law says.

·
Registered
27 Posts
thanks for the heads up.. I received an email today saying I was approved for the process. but as you said: snow ball chance in hell. Good thing I kept all records, recorded all maintenance and all correspond and more.. helps for my case.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had to start an on-line dispute via the ncdsusa.org which is the national center for dispute settlement. An Arbitrator.. Truck back in the shop, after this week it will probably be about 40 days in the shop over 6 months.
Did you start the buyback process? In reading the Class Action Settlement Agreement - 3:17-MD-02777-EMC Document 508. On page 19-20, it is clear that after 30 days, the buyback is required. Why did you need to go to an arbitrator?

121 - 135 of 135 Posts