RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts
It totally astounds me how many people don’t RTFM or just walk outside and look at the damn truck… The coolant through the transmission circuit ya goons! Not directly from the engine The tranny heater/cooler aims to keep the transmission between something like 180-210F which is fine for any fully synthetic gear oil. Know how I know? I googled it up from a reputable source. 'Bright Idea' For Short Detection | MOTOR The article is complaining about finding a modern coolant leak but clearly describes how this works in the Ram 1500s. But then I did something really insane. I took 15mins to trace the lines and verify that my ‘22 ram 1500 ecodiesel 2x4 3.21 indeed has a tranny cooler in front of the radiator. The hardest part was removing ~12 plastic shroud clips. I took pics but I won’t share them unless you PM me. I’d kinda like to know who’s so lazy they won’t take 15mins to do the same thing. On a side note, this also means it’s reasonable to blast heat in your truck with the windows down to cool your transmission if you feel you’re running too hot… so that’s a fun tip.

It totally astounds me how many people don’t RTFM or just walk outside and look at the damn truck… The coolant through the transmission circuit ya goons! Not directly from the engine The tranny heater/cooler aims to keep the transmission between something like 180-210F which is fine for any fully synthetic gear oil. Know how I know? I googled it up from a reputable source. 'Bright Idea' For Short Detection | MOTOR The article is complaining about finding a modern coolant leak but clearly describes how this works in the Ram 1500s. But then I did something really insane. I took 15mins to trace the lines and verify that my ‘22 ram 1500 ecodiesel 2x4 3.21 indeed has a tranny cooler in front of the radiator. The hardest part was removing ~12 plastic shroud clips. I took pics but I won’t share them unless you PM me. I’d kinda like to know who’s so lazy they won’t take 15mins to do the same thing. On a side note, this also means it’s reasonable to blast heat in your truck with the windows down to cool your transmission if you feel you’re running too hot… so that’s a fun tip.
[/QUOTE
Some models have a heated rear differential that use…. Engine coolant to heat it. The transmission cooler up front uses air flow not engine coolant. There is a transmission warmer on the side that heats the transmission fluid but once the temp gets high enough the thermostatic bypass moves and sends the transmission fluid to the cooler up front. Cranking the heat wont cool your transmission but ac well since it turns the fan on.

Given the length of tubing required, wouldn't an electric heater be as cheap and likely faster? It wouldn't help with cooling, of course.

just reinforces the point..... the goal was fuel economy not to stick a fat ass cummins in there for all us few thousand people towing with it. it was to fix their fuel mileage EPA problem and a massive marketing move. no sane engineer would spend that kind of money to bring up an oil temp unless your into NASCAR, indy, or autosports in general or have a real problem with fuel mileage. that is just homer-ism at its finest, there is NO NEED for that ON THIS TRUCK.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.