RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started a new thread because I wanted anyone with a coolant question to get some answers if I can help.
My truck is a 2015 total miles 75,000. One year ago at 56,000 I had the engine go south just as most have described, pan full of scrap. A full complete engine less alternator and A/C unit was installed.
Today a second complete engine is on order.
About a month back I checked the coolant level. 1” below the center line. I add coolant but what I thought was a bit much to bring it to max. 100 miles later it is down to same level. It takes ½ Gal to bring up. What is odd about the catch tank on the system is that it has baffles in it and when it seems that you have some in it, you don’t. If I look from behind as I fill it I can see air bubbles coming into the tank from the radiator. It is very misleading if a quick look at the tank is made from the front. I take truck in. New EGR system is installed. Drive 100 miles, add ½ Gal coolant. No coolant on ground, frame rails or white smoke coming out the back. I have also been running the display on temps in numbers since the last engine replacement. Never has the temps got hot or a warning given.
The turbo is water cooled and from what I gather there is a soft connection under the intake on its way to the turbo (I think). Cab of truck needs to come off to remove intake. Leak found. Heads pulled. Heads and block warped. New Engine coming.
Sorry for the length of this but if someone is frustrated as I was trying to figure this coolant loss out it may help. A note to those that have had the ERG replaced. Keep the coolant at max, if it does not stay up, it is not normal. Another note, I went on Carmax for research as they always have an engine photo. Most all I looked at country wide had low level coolant and looked like mine when I was adding ½ Gal to bring to max. I have not heard of another Ecco doing this and hope it is just me. I believe my 1st replacement engine was late model 2016.
One other question to the crew. What might be the issues in future having run over 2 gal of coolant thru the DPF and exhaust system. I think not good.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
I started a new thread because I wanted anyone with a coolant question to get some answers if I can help.
My truck is a 2015 total miles 75,000. One year ago at 56,000 I had the engine go south just as most have described, pan full of scrap. A full complete engine less alternator and A/C unit was installed.
About a month back I checked the coolant level. 1” below the center line. I add coolant but what I thought was a bit much to bring it to max. 100 miles later it is down to same level. It takes ½ Gal to bring up. What is odd about the catch tank on the system is that it has baffles in it and when it seems that you have some in it, you don’t. If I look from behind as I fill it I can see air bubbles coming into the tank from the radiator. It is very misleading if a quick look at the tank is made from the front. I take truck in. New EGR system is installed. Drive 100 miles, add ½ Gal coolant. No coolant on ground, frame rails or white smoke coming out the back. I have also been running the display on temps in numbers since the last engine replacement. Never has the temps got hot or a warning given.
The turbo is water cooled and from what I gather there is a soft connection under the intake on its way to the turbo (I think). Cab of truck needs to come off to remove intake. Leak found. Heads pulled. Heads and block warped. New Engine coming.
Sorry for the length of this but if someone is frustrated as I was trying to figure this coolant loss out it may help. A note to those that have had the ERG replaced. Keep the coolant at max, if it does not stay up, it is not normal. Another note, I went on Carmax for research as they always have an engine photo. Most all I looked at country wide had low level coolant and looked like mine when I was adding ½ Gal to bring to max. I have not heard of another Ecco doing this and hope it is just me. I believe my 1st replacement engine was late model 2016.
One other question to the crew. What might be the issues in future having run over 2 gal of coolant thru the DPF and exhaust system. I think not good.

Prolly dpf and exhaust ok. Regen cooks it pretty good

·
Registered
196 Posts
So just to get this straight, where was the 2nd leak at if not at the EGR cooler??? The Turbo??

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
EGR cooler was not the problem. Coolant leak under the intake on the way to the turbo.

·
Registered
481 Posts
EGR cooler was not the problem. Coolant leak under the intake on the way to the turbo.
I have not heard of anyone having a leak there yet. Interesting! thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've had that exact same coolant leak fixed three times now and it looks like I may have to have that done AGAIN. I'm on my second engine (just over 1100 miles on it), I just did a Stage 2 delete with MRTuning and I'm still losing coolant.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts