RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there forum,

I had my EGR recall done over the summer. Finally opened the hood today and noticed that my coolant is about 3 inches below the cold fill line. My question is this: it was very cold overnight (below 0 degrees F), would this be expected, or should I be concerned that I'm losing coolant fluid somewhere?

Will call the dealership where I had the recall done, but I know it will be a terrible hassle to get anything done with them.

Thanks,
laff

·
Registered
2014 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel, GDE Hot Tune, Rebel front end conversion.
276 Posts
This wouldn’t be expected even if it was cold. There’s always a possibility more air escaped the cooling system causing the drop. If you have the correct coolant you could top it off and monitor.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Mine never dropped. What you are describing happen when my coolant was flushed at 150k. Dennis may be right with air in the system working it's way out. Check oil level too in case it's going there...highly doubtful though.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Mine never dropped. What you are describing happen when my coolant was flushed at 150k. Dennis may be right with air in the system working it's way out. Check oil level too in case it's going there...highly doubtful though.
Hi there forum,

I had my EGR recall done over the summer. Finally opened the hood today and noticed that my coolant is about 3 inches below the cold fill line. My question is this: it was very cold overnight (below 0 degrees F), would this be expected, or should I be concerned that I'm losing coolant fluid somewhere?

Will call the dealership where I had the recall done, but I know it will be a terrible hassle to get anything done with them.

Thanks,
laff
I needed to top my coolant off after the EGR was replaced. Some coolant is lost in the replacement and after it runs a while it is going to be low if the dealer didn't add. Mine wasn't as low as yours. IIRC it was about to the add line.

·
Registered
154 Posts
When I had my EGR replaced, the coolant also need to be topped off. I had no issues prior or since, so I assumed air in the system when replaced.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Mine level changed after using the heater. Dropped maybe 1/2 inch or so.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all of the responses. Got some coolant yesterday and topped it off. Will monitor over the next week or so. Will check the oil this morning per your recommendation.

Likely unrelated, but I did get an "EGR Service Required" fault yesterday, so I'll be off to the dealer this week to get the code reset and whatever they need to do to service the EGR.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Thanks for all of the responses. Got some coolant yesterday and topped it off. Will monitor over the next week or so. Will check the oil this morning per your recommendation.

Likely unrelated, but I did get an "EGR Service Required" fault yesterday, so I'll be off to the dealer this week to get the code reset and whatever they need to do to service the EGR.
I had my EGR Cooler replaced under that recall as well a couple weeks ago. I'd told them I was losing coolant and we all assumed it was due to the EGR. Then it kept losing coolant even with the new EGR. Took it back and they wrote this on the service ticket: p02181, 0128 - - found cooling system low - performed pressure test found turbo coolant supply line leaking. They had to remove the intake manifold to get to it but said it had a hole burned in the tube. They replaced it and did it under the V08 recall warranty, so no charge. Just adding in case this may also be your problem. They guy said they see it pretty often.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Check your o rings on the radiator cap. I had one nicked and it wasn't sealing properly. Bought a new on from a dealer but the threads were different so I swapped out the o ring and solved the problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts