RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got to replace my coolant bottle and I'll need to top up my coolant likely.

Can I use this coolant? General PDP Template

I know these trucks use a OAT coolant. I also read its supposed to be ASTM D-3306 TYPE 3. This bottle seems to say ATSM D-3306 and ASTM D-4985 but not type 3.

Just want to double check.

· Registered
2016 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel 4x4 CC Laramie
1,062 Posts
For the amount of $$ dealer charges for a gallon of coolant you could do a whole system coolant drain and fill with good oat coolant. Cost me $30 to replace my coolant. After 5 years of use cooleant needed to be changed anyways.

· Registered
861 Posts
For the amount of $$ dealer charges for a gallon of coolant you could do a whole system coolant drain and fill with good oat coolant. Cost me $30 to replace my coolant. After 5 years of use cooleant needed to be changed anyways.
You dont have to go to the dealer for Mopar coolant. Some auto stores carry it and on line for much cheaper.

· Registered
2016 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel 4x4 CC Laramie
1,062 Posts
You dont have to go to the dealer for Mopar coolant. Some auto stores carry it and on line for much cheaper.
Agreed, the point was if you don't want to mix the two different brands of coolants. Even if they're both oat, I still don't like the idea of mixing two different brands. Some heavy duty brands of coolants are longer lasting better coolants for way less the $$$ of mopar coolant. $10 a gallon for the prestone command at a volvo/Mack dealer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts