RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw pink stuff splashed all over my engine compartment while on vacation. I replaced this myself, but I think this is a manufacturing defect. Looks like the plastic tank became brittle from the coolant ? There were several cracks, but this one leaked.

Anyone else have this problem ?

E40D8410-D6AF-4AD7-832A-61B5F59F559B.jpeg

·
Registered
843 Posts
Saw pink stuff splashed all over my engine compartment while on vacation. I replaced this myself, but I think this is a manufacturing defect. Looks like the plastic tank became brittle from the coolant ? There were several cracks, but this one leaked.

Anyone else have this problem ?

View attachment 82518
I haven't.

How old is your truck? Miles? Location?

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
The O-rings on the pressure cap tend to stick after time making it difficult to remove the cap. I broke mine when trying to take the cap off and had to use a pair of pliers to break those O-rings loose and get them out. I think when the O-rings stick it may over pressure the system and could have caused it.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Just replaced the degas bottle as well. At 60k mi. I did push the truck towing, and had temperatures on higher range of normal. It cracked at the base where the hose connects, bottom left one.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My truck is a 2016 with 40,000 miles. After taking off the plastic overflow tank, I discovered numerous cracks. Looks like the plastic became brittle over time.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My truck is a 2016 with 40,000 miles. After taking off the plastic overflow tank, I discovered numerous cracks. Looks like the plastic became brittle over time.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Anomaly for sure...196,000 miles and 4,760 hours on a 2016 w/o issue in FLORIDA heat. Where are you located?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
California. Just went to the dealership for the rotary shifter recall. The Service Manager said they replace a lot of cracked/leaking reservoirs.

You wouldn’t notice the cracks unless there was a leak. They are on the bottom of the tank where the coolant has caused yellowing of the plastic.

·
Registered
87 Posts
yep, hot west coast climate as well. Rockauto, 70 bucks, and little antifreez. 15 min job. Does look better with new bottle.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts