RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Your going to want to watch the levels very carefully to determine where the coolant is going. Mine went through the EGR into the intake manifold....through the motor and out the exhaust. Leaking EGR cooler was the cause and not covered by warranty. Take this issue very seriously.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,956 Posts
Jet not sure double check but if you have done the AEM the EGR cooler may now be covered as it is an emissions related component. Somebody will know I’m on the road. If not you may consider an EGR cooler delete to fix it less expensively and permanently. And if you have a tune you won’t even have a check engine light.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info guys. I will keep an eye on the level. I have 23k on it and just did GDE tune after I got my check for the crappy AEM. The level was not real low just about half below the fill line. I will check for the sticker on the bottle. Thanks for the links.

·
Registered
12,456 Posts
Might be normal. Mine dropped a teeny bit for the first 50,000 miles than stopped. Stick in some distilled water if you do not have the proper OAT coolant. There is no other generic substitute. Decent prices on the stuff can be found on Ebay. Just take a good look at the numbers on the bottles in the pictures above.

·
Registered
286 Posts
If your in the US the egr cooler is under the AEM warranty. I had mine replaced under it at no cost. Mine lost about a cup maybe a little more of coolant a week. First dealer couldn't figure it out and said egr was good. Second dealer found egr leak within a hour.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Also forgot a couple weeks ago my cap on the tank went bad and I lost about a cup of coolant. Went to take cap off and it fell apart and got stuck. Once I replaced the cap all was good again and no loss of coolant.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Jet not sure double check but if you have done the AEM the EGR cooler may now be covered as it is an emissions related component. Somebody will know I’m on the road. If not you may consider an EGR cooler delete to fix it less expensively and permanently. And if you have a tune you won’t even have a check engine light.
So youre saying with GDE i can just get a egr delete and never have to worry about it?

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
So youre saying with GDE i can just get a egr delete and never have to worry about it?
The GDE Hot Tune is already compatible with EGR stage 2 delete , ( unless you have an old GDE Hot Tune version older than june 2016)
you will not see any codes on the dash .
P.S. Welcome to the site JeffL :)
tutorial on the stage 2 EGR delete in here ,: http://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/diy-how-section/57058-egr-cooler-stage-2-delete-instructions.html
(( it is for the no longer available Sasquatch kit , but will give you good info ,
some ebay kits are identical to the Sasquatch kit ))
===================
the " never worry about it " part is ==> only worry if you have to go to the dealer ,
if they flash over your GDE tune , the stock tune will not like the missing info from disconnected EGR sensors , and will throw codes , if you kept your stock ECM , the truck will still work , but you will see check engine light ( CEL ) on the dash while running with no EGR ,
keep the dealer away from your GDE tune ...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts