RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
14' RAM tradesman ecodiesel
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a week since purchase everything running good so far, learned so far that i have a dpf/ egr delete. Only thing a little worried about is that sometimes coolant temp is at 100 cruusing and sometimes itas @ 190 i dont know if this is normal or just paranoid. All i know is that in a regular car when it reaches temp it stays at it and doesnt fluctuate so low.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
5,002 Posts
There's a problem with that reading dropping like that, there no way the coolant could drop that cool compared to the oil. I've seen the coolant drop by 10° while coasting off the freeway, but it normally stays around 204° unless I'm towing.
Your sensor is probably going bad.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply! I just thout that i had some coolant piping or thermostat problems so i should look at the diagrams in a google search and look for that sensor that reads off coolant temp and replace it

·
Registered
366 Posts
Good chance a P0128 code is in your future. I just had one and it ended up being the thermostat. My temperature drop wasn’t that extreme.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
859 Posts
Any possibility of it being the dreaded 3 way valve? Mine did it haphazardly for about 3 months and knock wood, it hasn't done it for a while. I managed to get a GoPro vid of it, darned if I know where I downloaded, it.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Mine started to fluctuate a bit and rapidly got worse, it would go unreadable just -- then a chack engine light would come on,
and the engine electrical cooling fan would turn to high. Shut the truck off wait just a couple of seconds and restart and it would be good for a while.
The good functioning time started getting shorter and shorter but by that time my dealer had checked it and verified it was the temperature sensor
and it finally came in and was replaced. It is located up by the thermostat housing easy to reach and replace.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks all for message i narrowed it down to a couple of possible issues
1 Bad temperature sensor
2 bad threeway valve
3 bad thermostat
4 or maybe when egr was removed somebody rerouted cooling lines wrong?
Here are two videos on how the temp fluctuates one is from cold to norm and from norm to cold it does this many times while driving
Temp1
Temp2

·
Registered
366 Posts
Thanks all for message i narrowed it down to a couple of possible issues
1 Bad temperature sensor
2 bad threeway valve
3 bad thermostat
4 or maybe when egr was removed somebody rerouted cooling lines wrong?
Here are two videos on how the temp fluctuates one is from cold to norm and from norm to cold it does this many times while driving
Temp1
Temp2
The first video is very similar to what my truck was doing before I changed the thermostat; however, the temperature dropping in the second video is very quick and a huge delta. That seems to point more towards an instrumentation issue. Does it always stop at 100? When the engine is cold, does it read below 100?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The first video is very similar to what my truck was doing before I changed the thermostat; however, the temperature dropping in the second video is very quick and a huge delta. That seems to point more towards an instrumentation issue. Does it always stop at 100? When the engine is cold, does it read below 100?

Thanks for reply! Never goes below 100 it allways stops at 100

·
Registered
366 Posts
Thanks for reply! Never goes below 100 it allways stops at 100
A couple of thoughts:

After the truck sits all night, the coolant temperature should be pretty close to ambient; so unless is it ungodly hot where you are, that is suspect.

You could try a new temperature sensor, it is easy enough to change, but my gut feeling is that won’t fix it based on how fast the temp changes and that it always stops at 100...to me that seems more like a problem with the computer, but I would rule out the sensor first.

Have you checked for codes?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A couple of thoughts:

After the truck sits all night, the coolant temperature should be pretty close to ambient; so unless is it ungodly hot where you are, that is suspect.

You could try a new temperature sensor, it is easy enough to change, but my gut feeling is that won’t fix it based on how fast the temp changes and that it always stops at 100...to me that seems more like a problem with the computer, but I would rule out the sensor first.

Have you checked for codes?

Will do i know so far she has a program because i have no dpf or egr, just got off of work will be checking for codes but there is no check engine turned on

·
Registered
366 Posts
I can look up in the code in the service manual...this was the code that I got and why i said it might be more than just the temp sensor.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I can look up in the code in the service manual...this was the code that I got and why i said it might be more than just the temp sensor.

Okay got back my scanner today no codes present
When i turned truck on cold in the morning i got the first temp
And as i drove for about 20 minutes
I got the second pic

Attached are some pics of the engine area where thee are a couple of plugs disconnected thanks for ya help
Should i first start with the thermostat? i just dont want to go crazy buying parts

Attachments

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Hi: ecodieselPR... It's always good to have a "Cooling off period" but this is ridiculous!!!
Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Is it safe to assume that it wasn’t -40 this morning?? I agree with Broke, start with the temp sensor.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Is it safe to assume that it wasn’t -40 this morning?? I agree with Broke, start with the temp sensor.

No i live in puerto rico most it goes down where i live is 65-66 farenheit will be purchasing coolant temp sensor first will let you guys know thanks for all the help 🆘!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts