RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

61 - 67 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
**RAM and Diesel Rookie** not sure if this is the right thread for this post; but here is my question/symptoms. I just bought a 2014 RAM 1500 Diesel, and I regularly tow a 4200lb boat (I believe the tow cap of this truck is 9200 lbs). Last week when I was going up a significant grade with the boat attached for the first time, the engine temp increased to the 3/4 mark, the motor did not overheat or have any indicator lights so I kept going.... but I have had multiple other vehicles tow and have never seen the engine temp rise past the mid point? I didn't know if it was the difference between the diesel motor and the gas motors I have had in the past? I also noticed that the engine coolant appears below the suggested mark but there is still coolant in the tank. Is this something to be concerned about or normal for a Ram Diesel? Other info- it is the Laramie edition and it was approximately 110 degrees outside when the engine temp increased.
Welcome to the forum.

Over on the first page are the 2 grills to try and stay away from. It appears you have one of those grills. I did, also (Big Horn) and changed it out.

2 things you didn't mention was 1) What did the EVIC say the temp was. and 2) How fast were you going, as speed has a big impact, although less with boats than travel trailers (plus most trailer tires are rated for 65mph).

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
**RAM and Diesel Rookie** not sure if this is the right thread for this post; but here is my question/symptoms. I just bought a 2014 RAM 1500 Diesel, and I regularly tow a 4200lb boat (I believe the tow cap of this truck is 9200 lbs). Last week when I was going up a significant grade with the boat attached for the first time, the engine temp increased to the 3/4 mark, the motor did not overheat or have any indicator lights so I kept going.... but I have had multiple other vehicles tow and have never seen the engine temp rise past the mid point? I didn't know if it was the difference between the diesel motor and the gas motors I have had in the past? I also noticed that the engine coolant appears below the suggested mark but there is still coolant in the tank. Is this something to be concerned about or normal for a Ram Diesel? Other info- it is the Laramie edition and it was approximately 110 degrees outside when the engine temp increased.
Welcome!
You've come to the right place to have your questions answered.

I never look at the little dial indicator. It is pretty much useless in my opinion. I look at the EVIC temp display.

It looks like this-
IMG_3303.JPG
That will give you a more accurate temp display.

How fast were you going?
What gear were you in?
Did you have Tow/Haul engaged?

You can't damage your truck by towing it up a hill. It will prevent you from doing so by de-fueling and/or going into limp mode.

·
Registered
42 Posts
...it is the Laramie edition and it was approximately 110 degrees outside when the engine temp increased.
First, welcome to the forum! You have come to the right place for info. There are a lot of very knowledgeable people here...

Concerning your issue... I can relate. We live in the CA desert and it has been in the 105-114 temperature range over the last few weeks. We tow a 28 foot trailer weighing around 7000 lbs. Driving from Ridgecrest to Bishop, ~ 150 miles there are some hills, Not long grades like Cajon (on I-15) or Sherwin (US-395 N of Bishop, CA)... On the flats it runs between 210-221 when it is ~100 degrees outside. On the hills it has gotten up to 235-ish... Once we crest the hill it cools down pretty quick. The only time we went up a pass (Sherwin), it was ~86 degrees outside and we had to slow down to 40 MPH to keep the temp at 235. (Sherwin is longer and steeper then Cajon IMHO). We have changed our grill to the wire mesh type (we have a Laramie). I noticed a little difference between the 2 grills, but not enough to make a noticeable difference - next month we go to Mammoth, so I will see what effect that grill will have on Sherwin Pass.

Now, concerning the gage. I don't know if this is true for everyone, but I noticed on ours... The gage will stay in the center area until it reaches ~ 231 degrees... Then it leaves the center area and is passed that first line towards the Hot line... At 235 degrees it is half way between the middle and the Hot line. I am making this comparison between my EVIC reading and the upper Temp gage display (which is what I believe you were asking)...

Anyway, hope that helps and I am sure others will chime in as well!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Wondering how the new style Limited grill on my truck rates in terms of airflow, probably on the poorer end of the scale. I've been thinking I would like to switch it out with the Longhorn mesh, I guess this will give me a push in that direction.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,142 Posts
Wondering how the new style Limited grill on my truck rates in terms of airflow,
It probably fairs pretty well. It looks fairly wide open. The grills found on the Limited and Big Horn trucks have the restrictive oval openings.
Switching to the Longhorn grill would probably be more for looks than a gain of airflow.

·
Registered
27 Posts
RB33 - My max coolant temps while towing (3200lb rPod with 400 lb on the hitch) during a round trip from Fairbanks to Gainesville FL (~13,000 miles) and then another 2,000 around Alaska might have briefly hit 218F coming south out of Hell's Canyon when air temp was about 105F and then again going west on 160 immediately on leaving Durango, CO when air temps were more moderate. This latter one surprised me.

My max oil temp in the same situations was briefly 239F. Towing raises my oil temp about 10-15F compared to running ~empty, but it is hard to see a similar effect on coolant temps.

I replaced my stock grille inserts with Longhorn Laramie versions before the trip.

BTW, My towing fuel economy was not negatively affected by the settlement flash. I averaged 14.3mpg returning from Florida (~6,000 miles) running as close to 65 as the road conditions would allow.
I had the flash when I got back to Fairbanks, then towed another ~2,000 in Alaska and averaged 14.4mpg; again targeting 65mph. Only one big pass here (Thompson out of Valdez) but a lots of ups and downs otherwise.
I'll re-post this latter info to one of the threads that addresses post-flash fuel economy.

61 - 67 of 67 Posts