RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how the cooled seats really work? I swear I feel cool on my butt, but nothing on my back. I don't know if there's a fan, two fans, no fans etc. certainly not a critical issue, but an issue none the less. Thanks

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
I have them. I can say in general, they are great! However, they really don't cool much above ones belt. My interior is the dark brown & it really helps in the hot, TX sun. I'm curious now if our seat back is supposed to also be cool. Mine does not get cool, but they aren't hot either.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have used mine a few times this past month, I think they work great for what they are. I feel the air on the seat and up to my lower back.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I do feel the air on my back while its on. I do think the blowing air is only when the air con is also blowing. So if you vehicle interior temp is at its set temperature then the air con stops blowing fast and the seat air also slow down the blowing air. My opinion of course.

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
Living in south Florida and working In the heat , when my day is done I drive the tractor by my truck and hit auto start about 5 minutes before I get in it and I love these seats !!!! On my drive home they work fantastic to cool my body temperature down significantly ,almost as good as taking a cool shower . They do work !!!!!

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Below each seat is an air duct. The HVAC system sends air there at whatever temp you select. There are fans under the seats which draw this air into the seats, the perforated leather lets it flow through. They work great for us. I can stay cool and sweat free easily. In my BMW, the leather just makes me sweat...lol

Due to the system's design, the closer you are to the fan, the better the airflow, so the lower areas of the seats experience better airflow. YRMV. Keep in mind that you have to keep the perforations in the seat clean, open and free of debris. If you use cleaners or creams on the let her, this can build up and block airflow. Go light on the cleaning products and leather conditioners. Food can also block the holes, but i'd be surprised if anyone is holding a cheeseburger between their shoulder blades. ;)

·
Registered
66 Posts
The seats in out trucks are not air conditioned like the seats in my F150 was, they are simply ventilated according to my dealer, I don't care, I am not a big fan of air conditioned seats, actually I never used them in my Ford because they were too cold and if I was sweating, I would get a back ache, the ventilated seats in our Rams are nice because they circulate just enough air to keep you from sticking to the seat, which is great. I don't see any duct work like the F150 had, that is why they were only available with a center console on the Ford, my Ram, I opted for no center console and I still have the ventilated option. I believe there is a fan somewhere in the seat to keep the air moving.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
gtguyonli,
I think your dealer is either poorly trained or clueless. They run off the cool air from the A/C.

I have ductwork coming out of my center console & there is a fan in that area that blows the cool air up into the seat. You can hear it if you turn the A/C fan down low - it sounds like a quiet hum. On a long trip, my seats get ice cold & I have to turn them off. They also work great if it's raining to help dry you off faster.

If you don't have a console, I bet the tubes are under the carpet, near the center hump. My ex-wife's Lincoln had the same system as our trucks - I notice no difference between the two manufacturers.

Reactions: mitchmaclean

·
Registered
606 Posts
Yeah Ford Motor Company is the only manufacture that I know of that uses true cooled seats and they are not cooled by the AC system, but with a separate cooling system at each seat. Most other manufactures including our RAM are just ventilated. They use fans to pull the warm body heat away from the driver/passenger (through the seat) to provide the cooling effect.

·
Registered
704 Posts
and they are not cooled by the AC system, but with a separate cooling system at each seat.
Yeah right. What the heck is a separate cooling system??. And I don't know about your Ram but mine is not pulling heat away rather it is blowing.

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
Ecupip your test worked perfect I put a lotto ticket on the back and turned on seat and it stayed then shut it off and it fell down . Thanks for the information

·
Registered
268 Posts
Yeah Ford Motor Company is the only manufacture that I know of that uses true cooled seats and they are not cooled by the AC system, but with a separate cooling system at each seat. Most other manufactures including our RAM are just ventilated. They use fans to pull the warm body heat away from the driver/passenger (through the seat) to provide the cooling effect.
Yepp , BMW also , and i like it , you cannot freeze your back , im also had Lincoln Navigator and i saw their system its totally different it's electric cooling system wich is cool the metal foil under the perforated leather and you can get sick easily .

·
Registered
241 Posts
You learn something new everyday. All this time I wondered why I didn't feel much air flow when I held my hand a few cm's above the passenger seat with ventilation on, but can definitely feel the cooling when sitting in it. IT DOESN'T BLOW, IT SUCKS!

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Yuck! Crow is nasty! I looked in my 2014 sales brochure & it reads: "heated and ventilated front seats". I don't know where I got the "cooled" from. I do know it works well:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts