RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(Yes, there is an older thread about this, but...)

Locally (Central Kentucky), up until the Russian thing, Diesel and Mid-Grade was about the same amount. Now we are seeing HUGE differences. Something like 35% more than Mid-Grade.

What happened that has caused such an increase?

·
Registered
2017 Ram 1500 4x4 Bighorn CC/SB EcoDiesel
102 Posts
I remember when diesel prices were less than even the cheapo (87) gas and were way more stable. But Around SouthEast Wisconsin, diesel has been more expensive than premium (91+) gasoline, with or without corn juice, for quite some time. Even b4 the last POTUS election.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Diesel is at least $1 a gallon more here in Maine. I get around it by having a bulk tank and buying wholesale. Also have an old 1998 Subaru Outback that gets about 25-27 mpg on 97 octane, slightly less mpg than my Ecodiesel. Driving the Subie more and saving my precious diesel.The bulk diesel tank cost $3.17 last time filled, Still have around 100 gallons left, dread filling it again!

·
Super Moderator
3,993 Posts
You get bulk for your marine and agricultural equipment? :)

·
Registered
2017 Ram 1500 Laramie 3.92 Charlotte, NC
1,501 Posts
(Yes, there is an older thread about this, but...)

Locally (Central Kentucky), up until the Russian thing, Diesel and Mid-Grade was about the same amount. Now we are seeing HUGE differences. Something like 35% more than Mid-Grade.

What happened that has caused such an increase?
You already gave the reason. Most Russian crude and refined fuels are not making it to the global market. Oil and refined fuels are traded on a global market. Even though the US has increased production, it cannot make up for that volume removed from the market. OPEC has stated that they will not adjust to fill the void either. Add to this that several of the west coast refineries have been shutdown due to strikes. US production set a record for total volume processed last month, so we are trying.

Around here, diesel is about $1 higher than RUG but is still below premium.

·
Premium Member
2019 Ram 2500 Cummins - EX Ecodiesel owner.
14,470 Posts
Taxes are an issue.

You can tax diesel, the truckers pay the price and then pass on that expense to all of us in the price of transported goods.

Some places have higher tax on diesel, not all. If people or governments can figure out a way to make more money on products you need, they do it.

Reactions: r3gill

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The point that I'm trying to address is that Diesel, after the Russian invasion, increased in cost 35% more than how much gasoline increased. Our state taxes on Automotive Diesel is only 7 cents more than gasoline, which is why it "was" costing the same as Mid-grade (about 20-30 cents more than regular). 87 octane here is around $3.75. Diesel is around $5.00.

A year ago, 87 octane was $2.68 with Diesel being $2.89.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Hi: VernDiesel... Not to make a racist comment but here on the north shore we have "Coloured" diesel. If you get caught with it in your vehicle and not your farm tractor it's a BIGGY Problem!!! At this hour fuel is $1.988/ L CDN.
Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.
Dieseldragon I feel your financial pain at $1.988 / L CDN that is roughly $7.51 / Gal. I guess I have no room to complain at my local fuel depot diesel is about $4.79 Gal USD or roughly $1.267 / Liter. Just a thought but maybe you're using the more expensive Diesel something like Petro Canada Organic Vegan Super Premium Diesel 🤔 .

·
Registered
2017 Ram 1500 Laramie 3.92 Charlotte, NC
1,501 Posts
A year ago, most people were still sitting at home waiting for the pandemic to pass us by. The industry was still trying to dig out from such a high surplus of refined fuels that the crude futures in 2020 dropped below zero. October 2020 was the lowest I paid for diesel since 2003 or 2004 at $1.73. That was before ULSD was pushed onto the market. Diesel and other heavier fractions can be run back through the refineries and "cracked" to produce larger quantities of gasoline per barrel. They're able to shift production to which ever product is more profitable. My business is dependent on other side products of diesel production. If more gasoline is being produced, that also effects the volume of those products.

According to the New York Times, Russia supplied 10% of the global market demand. How much would your bread go up if the stores were suddenly shorted 10% of their daily demand?

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
A year ago, most people were still sitting at home waiting for the pandemic to pass us by. The industry was still trying to dig out from such a high surplus of refined fuels that the crude futures in 2020 dropped below zero. October 2020 was the lowest I paid for diesel since 2003 or 2004 at $1.73. That was before ULSD was pushed onto the market. Diesel and other heavier fractions can be run back through the refineries and "cracked" to produce larger quantities of gasoline per barrel. They're able to shift production to which ever product is more profitable. My business is dependent on other side products of diesel production. If more gasoline is being produced, that also effects the volume of those products.

According to the New York Times, Russia supplied 10% of the global market demand. How much would your bread go up if the stores were suddenly shorted 10% of their daily demand?
Hi: ncskibum... At least we can still have our "Daily bread"!!!

·
Super Moderator
2016 SLT 4x4 Quadcab 3.53 with a cap
1,158 Posts
If they supplied about 10% of the global market, why has the cost of fuel nearly doubled. I still believe there's other reasons, greed and politico granola. I know it takes while to poke a hole in the right spot and start pumping crude and then refine it. I really believe north of the border has been let down in not building more refining plants and plugging the hose to import oil.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
If they supplied about 10% of the global market, why has the cost of fuel nearly doubled. I still believe there's other reasons, greed and politico granola. I know it takes while to poke a hole in the right spot and start pumping crude and then refine it. I really believe north of the border has been let down in not building more refining plants and plugging the hose to import oil.
Hi: Patroller8D... In a word "Cartel".

·
Super Moderator
3,993 Posts
Dieseldragon, Same here we have large fines if you are caught using off road diesel over the road. Diesel prices here have steadily rose since about Feb 2021. Energy independence stopped almost immediately. A couple of the energy policy changes quickly started putting a lot of money in Putin's pocket some say allowing him to fund his invasion. I don't think it was the cause though as there are lots of long standing and ongoing admissions that he wanted Ukraine dating back to the early 90s I believe. As to gas vs diesel cost disparity in KY I don't know. It never seems to rise and fall the same. The only constant I have seen over the last 8 years is that due to taxation you see a disparity in CA & PA vs other states in the price of diesel.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I feel bad for working folks in California their Gas tax is going to increase there won't be any legislative action to stop it. Most do realize this is political which I won't get into it, but for families struggling already it's literally food 'off' the table.

Most folks will recognize that all politicians care more about their well being (financial,career) primarily, and that of their sponsors whatever group it may be, and the community they serve is a distant last unless its election time.

Young families have to choose to leave parents behind to support their own family and take the risk somewhere else that they will make it.

Reactions: r3gill and Kneebull

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Dieseldragon I feel your financial pain at $1.988 / L CDN that is roughly $7.51 / Gal. I guess I have no room to complain at my local fuel depot diesel is about $4.79 Gal USD or roughly $1.267 / Liter. Just a thought but maybe you're using the more expensive Diesel something like Petro Canada Organic Vegan Super Premium Diesel 🤔 .
Hi: TexasJoe... For the moment diesel is $2.049/ L and that gives me a lot of "Gas". At $1.769/ L for gas... we don't buy a lot of that either. As for Petro Can., every time I've filled there I get a CEL/MIL light and more stomach upset.
For the "Green energy" crowd we have plant based meat, now plant based yoghurt, and fuel is still made from well aged vegetation I think!!!

·
Registered
2021 Ram 2500 Tradesman Crew Cab 6.7 L Turbo Cummins 3.73
1,725 Posts
In Wasilla, Alaska, diesel is about $4.899/gallon

Regular gas is around $4.499 a gallon

Usually, diesel is less then the price of gasoline around here, but since the Ukraine conflict, it's almost 40-50 cents more now.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts