RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
61 - 80 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
2019 RAM 1500 Classic Tradesman 4X2 EcoDiesel
531 Posts
Unleaded: $3.89 Gal / $1.0291 Lit
Diesel: $5.29 Gal / $1.3994 Lit
That's a crazy premium for diesel! I don't totally understand why, but diesel supplies are very low and demand is high>>>>>high prices. I would assume I'm more of a cheapskate than most of you. I wouldn't have bought the ED if it was more than $25,000 (new). The fuel prices hurt me badly, but I don't try to cast false blame and I don't assume cheap fuel is a birthright! (This is not referring to TexasJoe.)

Every time you see someone hotrodding their truck or car, running up on someone and hitting the brakes, driving 10MPH over the limit, etc., remember that they are doing their little part to raise your fuel prices.

·
Premium Member
2015 RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Bighorn 4x4
303 Posts
Every time you see someone hotrodding their truck or car, running up on someone and hitting the brakes, driving 10MPH over the limit, etc., remember that they are doing their little part to raise your fuel prices.

I drove to 50 miles to Seatac airport this morning on Interstate 5 from Olympia WA. 100 mile round trip. High fuel prices don't really seem to bother anyone around here. 70+ and a huge dose of impatience is the norm it seems. I was talking to my Uncle that I was taking to the airport and we remembered good old Ronald Reagan telling us to wear a sweater and turn down the heat in our homes to 65 and then put a nationwide speed limit of 55 MPH to conserve energy!

Think of how that would go over now!!!!

·
Premium Member
2015 RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Bighorn 4x4
303 Posts
Enough of the left vs right. Do you not realize they’re all on the take?
I wasn't talking about left vs right. just remembering that "The more that things change the more they stay the same"!

·
Administrator
10,003 Posts
And now this thread will get closed for being too "political". The admins here mostly share the political perspective of the majority of the membership. Threads only get shut down when there is pushback against the orthodoxy.

The moderation is far from even handed... in my opinion, I hasten to add. I've sent messages to mods in the past to suggest shutting down content in threads that was sure to be problematic but rarely got a positive response. I'm at the point now where I just don't have the energy. That's why I've avoided replying as you have. There are lots of good people, generous people who offer their knowledge and help. It could be a great place. Sadly, adult leadership is lacking.

For the admins: is there a way to delete my account? I know I can just ignore the place but I prefer to completely disassociate myself.
Sure we can delete your account. Just say when to pull the trigger.

·
Registered
2017 Ram 1500 Laramie 3.92 Charlotte, NC
1,504 Posts
I didn't pay attention to the gasoline prices on Saturday. Just paid the $5.15 a gallon for diesel and ended up with a $119 ticket for a full tank on Hilton Head Island, SC. noticed that when I got back home, diesel was $5.79. Really surprised that it was less on the island.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
That's a crazy premium for diesel! I don't totally understand why, but diesel supplies are very low and demand is high>>>>>high prices. I would assume I'm more of a cheapskate than most of you. I wouldn't have bought the ED if it was more than $25,000 (new). The fuel prices hurt me badly, but I don't try to cast false blame and I don't assume cheap fuel is a birthright! (This is not referring to TexasJoe.)

I'm old enough to have been thru a few price hike moments, and the expected public discourse that follows but when prices do resume their to prior levels so does the public sentiments folks have a short memory. If there is one thing i've learned from the older generation is patience, life is always subject to change just be prepared for it and live as if difficult times are ahead so in times of plenty live sparingly.

I guess for me that meant when food and fuel are dirt cheap we live as if it isn't, so for me this is not much of change and we're still living lean I'm sure it also has to do with learning from the depression era generation they are wise and hardworking folks.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts

I drove to 50 miles to Seatac airport this morning on Interstate 5 from Olympia WA. 100 mile round trip. High fuel prices don't really seem to bother anyone around here. 70+ and a huge dose of impatience is the norm it seems. I was talking to my Uncle that I was taking to the airport and we remembered good old Ronald Reagan telling us to wear a sweater and turn down the heat in our homes to 65 and then put a nationwide speed limit of 55 MPH to conserve energy!

Think of how that would go over now!!!!
If I remember correctly that area has a very low average age with an exceptionally high income level, If money is less an issue then how a person lives is less prioritized. Love the area been all thru Washington and have a special appreciation for the Olympic Peninsula I did find that the further away from Seattle I was the friendly people became.

It's pretty amazing there can be so many millionaires barely in their 20's but that is a global region.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
So much for blaming taxes for the high price of Diesel. Our local coop prices are now $5.19 gallon for diesel, the off road no tax diesel is $4.95...24 whole cents difference. 87 octane is still $3.94.

BTW, of all of the policital discussions I have seen here, this one has been the most civil; I've even learned a thing or 2.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
So much for blaming taxes for the high price of Diesel. Our local coop prices are now $5.19 gallon for diesel, the off road no tax diesel is $4.95...24 whole cents difference. 87 octane is still $3.94.

BTW, of all of the policital discussions I have seen here, this one has been the most civil; I've even learned a thing or 2.
Hi: RansomT... IMHO civil servants don't usually serve... and aren't particularly civil. It's up to us to be "Civil"!!!
Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.

·
Registered
2015 Trademan 4x4, 3.92, 6.4' bed air lift 1000 bags, bilstien shocks, 34" nitto g2s, Unknown tune.
447 Posts
Found this: SHELL just posted 9.1 Billion dollar record profit….up almost 6 billion since last year…it’s not inflation…they are ripping everyone off
Maybe they are worried about the electric cars stealing their future profit base and decided to shake the tree for every dollar while they can...

·
Registered
520 Posts
I'm 43. The first 20-25 years of my life, diesel was ALWAYS less expensive than gasoline. Makes sense, it's a less refined product.

The last 20 years it's ALWAYS been more expensive than gasoline. What changed? Well, greed on the part of the oil czars is my guess.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
I'm 43. The first 20-25 years of my life, diesel was ALWAYS less expensive than gasoline. Makes sense, it's a less refined product.

The last 20 years it's ALWAYS been more expensive than gasoline. What changed? Well, greed on the part of the oil czars is my guess.
EPA happened .... Ultra-Low Sulfur Diesel, big downside of the fuel is that it cost more to make. Well, the oil companies are not going to eat that extra cost, hell no, they pass it on to the customer.

·
Registered
2017 Ram 1500 Laramie 3.92 Charlotte, NC
1,504 Posts

In 2006 the pump diesel was changed in US and Canada to Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel (ULSD). This reduced the sulfur content to 15 ppm max. They accomplish this by hydrotreating the diesel fuel to strip out the sulfur. The process also reduces the lubricity of the fuel requiring the addition of surfactants (soap) to get the lubricity back to a level that won't destroy everything that runs of diesel. This change added around 6 cents per gallon for processing in 2006.

·
Registered
2015 Trademan 4x4, 3.92, 6.4' bed air lift 1000 bags, bilstien shocks, 34" nitto g2s, Unknown tune.
447 Posts
View attachment 92012

For those of you who think politicians have nothing to do with rising fuel prices...
Unless those tax percentages were increased recently by politicians, this has little to do with the large hike in diesel prices other than a consistent tax that if its a percentage of cost is going to grow when the price of that fuel goes up considerably for other reasons otherwise (like the federal tax thats fixed based on gallon measurement, wont).. When I bought my truck last september here in western NY where fuel prices are the highest in NY, Diesel was actually a bit cheaper than regular gasoline, even with our tax rate. Literally before the war started in the Ukraine, I filled my ecodiesel at Sams club for $2.93 a gallon earlier this year. Its over $5 a gallon there now. im sorry but I dont see the correlation with the fixed tax rate... some states have actually dropped the previous tax rates to help with all this. we are not talking about 6 cents a gallon of federal taxes here, We are talking about prices doubling in months I'd love to see some data to show what your implying has any truth here to this situation.

·
Registered
2019 RAM 1500 Classic Tradesman 4X2 EcoDiesel
531 Posts
EPA happened .... Ultra-Low Sulfur Diesel, big downside of the fuel is that it cost more to make. Well, the oil companies are not going to eat that extra cost, hell no, they pass it on to the customer.
In 2006 the pump diesel was changed in US and Canada to Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel (ULSD). This reduced the sulfur content to 15 ppm max. They accomplish this by hydrotreating the diesel fuel to strip out the sulfur. The process also reduces the lubricity of the fuel requiring the addition of surfactants (soap) to get the lubricity back to a level that won't destroy everything that runs of diesel. This change added around 6 cents per gallon for processing in 2006.
As Augie said about the taxes, these costs have not increased. In fact, they make up a smaller part of the price now. What has changed is demand, and the oil suppliers are happy to keep increasing prices as long as people want it bad enough to pay for it.

61 - 80 of 97 Posts