RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is time for a new truck and i have been trying to justify getting an ecodiesel. I am scared quite frankly having just had to replace the engine and transmission in my 2009 Ram 1500 with the 4.7 V8. This truck gave me 212,000 trouble free miles. Anyway, i came up with the attached spreadsheet that calculates the cost of owning an ecodiesel vs other trucks. Feel free to check my math and do what you all want with it. The results are quite revealing. Yellow highlighted squares can be changed to whatever you like.

View attachment Cost of Ownership Spreadsheet.zip

·
Registered
12,560 Posts
Thought those gass engine things had to change oil like every 5-6,000 miles. Not sure you have valid areas of concern. You figure the twin plugs and hassle of the service on a Hemi? How about paying for the screaming noise of a gas engine verses the sedate pull of a diesel?

Anyway I took the time to try and figure out what that spreadsheet said. Kept thinking it was going to show the Ecodiesel as more expensive to own and operate. Then read those totals and it is was LESS than the gassers. Nothing but a bunch of brain litter to me as I feel the worse for having tried to figure that out.

Pretty colors.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Looked at it a little. It pretty busy and after most of a day at work it made my eyes hurt to look at it lol

Does your research shot that the cost of ownership of a pentastar is higher than a hemi? Its a bit confusing without digging really deep into it. I didn't see an allotment for DEF or fuel filter changes.

·
Registered
642 Posts
It is simple. Only if you are using a vehicle for business purposes such as hauling, delivering, etc., will it make money. All other uses of a vehicle consume money.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is an open spreadsheet. You can enter your fuel economy numbers as you wish for any engine. You can also change all of the prices on the sheet to match your area.

The fuel prices on there are from a station close to my house.

The oil, filters, and def fluid costs come from AutoZone.

The sheet automatically adds in the cost of oil, filters, and def fluid for all the miles driven except for the towing specific miles.

Basically the hemi costs about $5000 more to operate for every 150,000 miles driven not towing.

Some of the other stuff I put in there I thought would be useful for some folks. One table shows how much your commute to work will cost you for each motor.

The others can show you how much a trip to the lake or campsite will cost you over time.

It all makes sense to me because I made it I guess, lol. I can see how it may take some time to digest. I am not an Excel wizard.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looked at it a little. It pretty busy and after most of a day at work it made my eyes hurt to look at it lol

Does your research shot that the cost of ownership of a pentastar is higher than a hemi? Its a bit confusing without digging really deep into it. I didn't see an allotment for DEF or fuel filter changes.
Those values are on the left side of the sheet for each engine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It is an open spreadsheet. You can enter your fuel economy numbers as you wish for any engine. You can also change all of the prices on the sheet to match your area.

The fuel prices on there are from a station close to my house.

The oil, filters, and def fluid costs come from AutoZone.

The sheet automatically adds in the cost of oil, filters, and def fluid for all the miles driven except for the towing specific miles.

Basically the hemi costs about $5000 more to operate for every 150,000 miles driven not towing.

Some of the other stuff I put in there I thought would be useful for some folks. One table shows how much your commute to work will cost you for each motor.

The others can show you how much a trip to the lake or campsite will cost you over time.

It all makes sense to me because I made it I guess, lol. I can see how it may take some time to digest. I am not an Excel wizard.

I created a similar spreadsheet in 2015 when I purchased(Laramie crew short bed 4x4) and reached virtually the same conclusion on cost of ownership. As much as I wanted the 3.0 I went with the 5.7. As you can see I am still here and still desire the little Eco—one day. I am a long time high mpg diesel fan with my other experience being VW TDI cars.

I have been happy with my decision and confident I made the correct one cost wise for my driving conditions. I have averaged 15k mi/year as anticipated in my spreadsheet. The biggest deciding factor is my typical drive is 5 miles separated by a fair amount of cool down. I feel this would have been trouble for the emissions systems and thus the engine with the Eco. Yes I would have purchased the GDE tune but still had concerns. The remainder of the miles have been highway by way of various trips so close to 50/50 city/highway. My fairly average is 16 mpg, in-line with expectations. I sitting at roughly 55k miles. I have had zero out of warranty repair cost. I have changed the oil at roughly 10k mi intervals when the EVIC said to. HEMI plugs are still 2/cylinder but change intervals are now 100k mi.

The HEMI is great fun to drive and the sound is perfect to me. I’ve towed 7000 lb loads and never was left wanting for power/torque and was actually surprised the fuel mileage was not as bad as expected(3.21 rear gear). But this is a rare thing for me and therefore didn’t impact my purchase decision.

When/if my daily commute changes I will reconsider. I like the sound of the 2020’s for sure!

BT

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
It is time for a new truck and i have been trying to justify getting an ecodiesel. I am scared quite frankly having just had to replace the engine and transmission in my 2009 Ram 1500 with the 4.7 V8. This truck gave me 212,000 trouble free miles. Anyway, i came up with the attached spreadsheet that calculates the cost of owning an ecodiesel vs other trucks. Feel free to check my math and do what you all want with it. The results are quite revealing. Yellow highlighted squares can be changed to whatever you like.

View attachment 80562
WOW!
Yep, lots of entries there and some pretty colours but whew, I need a nap now...
Are all those entries fuel purchases? For example, you have 11 entries on April 30 for ???

·
Registered
102 Posts
*not downloading random zip file

But all I compared was cost of 89 Octane vs. Diesel in my area compared to the Hemi vs. Ecodiesel mileage.

Diesel was cheaper and had way better mileage.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Hi: All... The only "Spreadsheet" I take notice of is the one covering my "Mattress". I sleep sound knowing that my EcoD. will pull my Escape 5.0TA with ease. I can still use it to run to the butcher if I run out of steaks.
Can I find good diesel in NFLD this summer...I sure hope so!!! Don't really care what it costs but how it "Tows".
Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie. P1040819.JPG

·
Registered
6 Posts

View attachment 80562
I'm an analyst and tend to over analyze everything... so I have a sheet that does the same thing, and include the F150 options, the GM 5.3, and my current Tahoe for comparison.

I have mine done on a yearly basis, not over the life like you have and have pretty similar results when I use the same estimated MPG. I think you're skewing your results using 16 MPG and 25 MPG when the EPA estimates are 19 and 22 respectively.,, Where did you get those number?

I did my analysis using the EPA window sticker numbers to keep everything equal across all variations as those numbers are derived similarly and take out the variability of user input and "field" number that take on A LOT of data variability and dirty data

·
Registered
774 Posts
I traded a 07 GMC Canyon 4 cyl 5 speed to get my 17 ED Laramie. My last calculation showed that the Canyon would have saved me two cents over 350 miles of driving. So, at about 21k miles on the ED, I could have saved $1.20 over the last 15 months. Of course that doesn't take into account the failing ABS system that needed replacing to get the Canyon to pass the upcoming state inspection.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts