RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just did my 2nd oil change on my truck. My plan was to do the fuel filter at the same time. Following the advice I read on this forum I stuck with OEM for fuel filter.... Well I attempted to....I ordered the Mopar fuel filter from Amazon but now I am looking at it and question rather or not it is counterfeit.

Being this is my first fuel filter change I have not seen a real Mopar filter and have nothing to compare to.
Can anyone tell by looking at my filter if it is real mopar? I am thinking its fake.

I do not see MOPAR written on the filter anywhere, no Mopar logo. I believe I have heard it should also say UNI on it?
I do not see any Mopar part number on the filter.
My box says made in Korea, filter says made in China..
The writing on the filter reads 060718 -- if it is a date code it is way off from the date code on the sticker of the box - 2018-9-14.

Resized_20190903_215333.jpeg Resized_20190903_215344.jpeg

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Looks just like the one I put in my truck last week. (also bought from amazon)

I think it is more of a sign how the dealer is ripping people off for $70+ for a cheap azz filter that is made in china.... same for the oil filter.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
only way I can see to bevsure , is go to dealer , at parts counter , ask for a fuel filter ,
take it out of the box and see if the dealer 's filter says made in china ....
confusing to say the least , made in Korea , made in china ......??
looking forward to expert opinions on this .

tho only images of fuel filters that I copied to my file do not show writings ,
they are all taken from too far away , ( crap)....
saving this one from OP .

·
Registered
104 Posts
only way I can see to bevsure , is go to dealer , at parts counter , ask for a fuel filter ,
take it out of the box and see if the dealer 's filter says made in china ....
confusing to say the least , made in Korea , made in china ......??
looking forward to expert opinions on this .

tho only images of fuel filters that I copied to my file do not show writings ,
they are all taken from too far away , ( crap)....
saving this one from OP .
As others have said it looks real. I would suppose the differences in the "Made in xx" is supply chains trying to avoid the tariff nonsense going on in the MAGA world.

I have attached pics of OEM old fuel filter taken out that was original from factory - perhaps it will be helpful. And pic of the new fuel filter's box I purchased from Amazon.

IMG_7237.JPG

IMG_7229.JPG

IMG_7230.JPG

Fuel filter is an easy change remember to use a gallon ziplock bag prior to unscrewing.Only the occasional dripping is "the mess" between filter swaps.....

·
Registered
616 Posts
NAPA gold filters are made in USA. I've been using Mopar fuel filters, but if they are also made in Red China, not ever using again. Wouldn't trust em. Rather not buy stuff from countries that have nukes aimed at us.

·
Registered
192 Posts
NAPA gold filters are made in USA.
Are they??

I thought that WIX was the manufacture of NAPA gold and that a couple years ago MANN+HUMMEL purchased WIX. Since that time, most of the WIX branded filters now are made in Mexico or prior Soviet States. Now, I could be wrong about NAPA Gold = WIX.......but I haven't read anything to the contrary.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Are they??

I thought that WIX was the manufacture of NAPA gold and that a couple years ago MANN+HUMMEL purchased WIX. Since that time, most of the WIX branded filters now are made in Mexico or prior Soviet States. Now, I could be wrong about NAPA Gold = WIX.......but I haven't read anything to the contrary.
You are correct about WIX manufacturing NAPA Gold and being bought out by MANN+HUMMEL (German Company) in 2016. WIX has manufacturing facilities all over the globe...heavy presence in NC still.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I used a NAPA fuel filter on my 2015 - It was apparently an RCH too long - caused the housing to leak- blowing diesel all over - lucky thing is I ordered a MOPAR filter that the mailman delivered - saved my ass- No more filters unless they are MOPAR ! fuel

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Wix fuel filters for our ecodiesels are no good, this coming from a guy who likes wix. Mopar and ecoguard both sell fuel filters that work well. Im currently running ecoguard without issue and measures identical to stock.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts