RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Just got home from a touchless car wash and found a crack around the antenna. I hand washed a few weeks ago and it wasn't there. Went through this car wash just to get some bird crap off from the weekend. Noticed the antenna was bent pretty good too. I'm thinking the arm that rotates around the vehicle must have caught the antenna and popped it. Didn't hear any noise but had the radio on. Anyone ever experience this type of crack?

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
4,412 Posts
Yikes, I don't think I've seen anything posted like that. There have been few bent and broken antennas but that the first I've seen.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yikes, I don't think I've seen anything posted like that. There have been few bent and broken antennas but that the first I've seen.
Yeah a little search and doesn't come up with much. calling my insurance guy tomorrow and taking a trip to the dealership body repair. Also little stubby antenna ordered off amazon

·
Registered
740 Posts
When using an auto car wash, I used to take the full antenna off before entering. You never know when things can get caught.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
4,412 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Haven't seen cracking like that before, but have seen the automated scratch machine (with brushes) grab the antenna. It got so wrapped up in the brush that it stalled the motor and shut down the wash. Luckily there was no damage (to truck, antenna or brush), but since then I have taken the antenna off for all carwashes, including brushless.

I also stalled a brushless wash when the arm caught the passenger side mirror (tow mirrors, but not flipped up), lucky again, no damage. It was the only time I've been to that particular wash and the attendant apologized because "this wash is more narrow than others, this happens all the time here"

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If your looking for a shorty antenna that has good reception:
AntennaMastsRus - The Original 6 3/4 Inch https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M6CAZKK/
The HD radio doesn't buffer much with this antenna in areas I travel through that the small bullet antenna wouldn't have regular FM reception.
I got the 7 inch one from that company. I use XM radio 95% anyways so we'll see how it works.
Haven't seen cracking like that before, but have seen the automated scratch machine (with brushes) grab the antenna. It got so wrapped up in the brush that it stalled the motor and shut down the wash. Luckily there was no damage (to truck, antenna or brush), but since then I have taken the antenna off for all carwashes, including brushless.

I also stalled a brushless wash when the arm caught the passenger side mirror (tow mirrors, but not flipped up), lucky again, no damage. It was the only time I've been to that particular wash and the attendant apologized because "this wash is more narrow than others, this happens all the time here"
I've gone to a sort of expensive but brand new carwash that has all the brushes and things. Does such a great job every time and have never had any damage or scratch from it for the 10 times I've gone there. Now I go to a touchless and it breakers 🤦🏻‍♂️. Just dumb.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Put a stubby rubber on mine and lost significant distance. My suggestion go with a stubby but keep the OEM for road trips. Also there are .50 cal round antenna available if your a Vet.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
You made me look ... red Lock Tite ...
View attachment 86492
You made me look ... red Lock Tite ...
View attachment 86492
Yeah my son-in-law has 2 Purple Hearts from Afghanistan and just bought a used 2017 ED Laramie post EGR replacement. They make those for RAMs too...I'll surprise him with it.

BTW...just ran his truck from JAX to Ft Drum (10th Mtn Div) and back 4,000 miles in 5 days running 75-80. She ran flawlessly...no tune.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
If your looking for a shorty antenna that has good reception:
AntennaMastsRus - The Original 6 3/4 Inch https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M6CAZKK/
The HD radio doesn't buffer much with this antenna in areas I travel through that the small bullet antenna wouldn't have regular FM reception.
Just ordered one thanks.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Same thing happened to my truck about a year ago in car wash. Went with 4 inch antenna with no problems. Is there a power antenna available for the Ram trucks? that would sure help in the car wash.
20200602_090046.jpg

1 - 12 of 12 Posts