RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my ‘15 ECO in for the dreaded crank position sensor and tone wheel repair. Dealer was actually pretty fair to work with. Had it towed in on July 18th, got it back yesterday 8-2. Service agent said I have a ABS/Traction control light. I already knew that and have been dealing with it. Every time I turn full right the message pops up, but goes away. Mechanic said it was because my ABS sensor wire is stretched . Says because the truck is lowered. The truck has been lowered for over seven years and now this happens, I don’t think its the wire. I’m guessing something in the steering column. Maybe the so called “clock spring“. I’m not sure.

·
Registered
29 Posts
SOMETIMES TECHS WILL REMOVE THE CAB WHICH TRANSLATES TO FRONT SPEED SENOR HARNESS CONNECTORS BEING DISTURBED . ALONG WITH STEERING SHAFT REMOVED . REVIEW PAPERWORK OR ASK TECH . THERE IS NO RECALIBRATION . GET CODES .

·
Registered
2016 Laramie Limited Crew Cab 4x4 with Deleted Air Suspension and GDE Hot Tune. 270,000 KM.
2,157 Posts
Clock spring wouldn't create an ABS/TCS light.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just re-read service report and mechanic stated during road test, “ABS light came on and active code for RF wheel speed sensor“. He stated sensor wire is being stretched. Vehicle has been lowered and possibly wire has been routed wrong. As I pointed out in my first post, my truck has been lowered for over 7 years. Why now do I have this issue? Baffles me!

·
Registered
775 Posts
Just re-read service report and mechanic stated during road test, “ABS light came on and active code for RF wheel speed sensor“. He stated sensor wire is being stretched. Vehicle has been lowered and possibly wire has been routed wrong. As I pointed out in my first post, my truck has been lowered for over 7 years. Why now do I have this issue? Baffles me!
Wires can degrade over time. Depends how severe the "stretch" is.

·
Registered
‘18 Laramie, CC, 6’4”, 4x4, 3.92, MRT MM5 & trans, 35” Falkens, Bilstein 5100, Zone body lift
9 Posts
The wire from the ABS sensor makes a hard turn into the main wiring loom just behind the upper strut mount. Mine had basically disintegrated from dirt etc getting in there and vibration from driving on the drivers side. Caused ABS/ESC codes, a lack of 4x4 ability and a big pain in the ass this winter as I tracked down what it was.
I exposed the wires, cleaned it up and spliced a small new section in. Then reinforced the small wire with some heat shrink where it enters the main loom. No issues since, codes cleared themselves right after.

·
Registered
‘18 Laramie, CC, 6’4”, 4x4, 3.92, MRT MM5 & trans, 35” Falkens, Bilstein 5100, Zone body lift
9 Posts
From the sensor in the wheel hub to a wire loom across to the ABS module at the LH front fender area

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I agree with the service tech. Wheel sensors are a common problem and a fairly easy fix.
If the wire was being stressed on full turns it could have taken a while for the connection or wire itself to begin failing.

Reactions: MR. TED

·
Registered
2018 RAM 1500 Tradesman Ecodiesel
36 Posts
My wife once wrapped a flimsy plastic grocery bag around the axle and ripped out an ABS sensor wire. There's lots of ways these can get pulled, twisted, and damaged.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts