RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a catastrophic and almost fatal failure related to recall W58 (with a pending fix) this week. Posting to help if anyone else will have the same issue since after my experience this is a serious safety concern. Was driving my 2014 Ecodiesel ram back from a cabin on vacation earlier this week and immediately after pulling onto the highway off the dirt road the truck completely shut down throwing multiple codes and would not start up again. Lucky for me it didn’t happen on the dirt road we just pulled off from since part of that road is thin with a cliff off one side. Also, with how that road turns and based off the failure on the highway I am fairly confident it could have been fatal if the failure happened on the previous road. Anyways, I keep an OBD II scanner in the truck and the permenant code shown immediately after the failure was PO336 leading me to think it was the tone ring failure on the crankshaft position sensor since the failure was almost identical to what is listed in the recall W58. Had Chrysler Roadside Assistance tow it at my expense to the nearest dealer about an hour away and they confirmed the following day that it was the tone ring that failed on the sensor as I assumed. I did get a rental car out of pocket since the dealer is a few hours away from home and the most interesting thing is as of today the dealer has no solution. The recall solution approved is a pending software fix which is not out yet. Dealer is stating that ram is not providing the original tone ring since it is a known failed part, and there is not a replacement one out. Called FCA customer care and they said there is an interim part until the fix is out, but when I asked what that part # was they couldn’t provide a specific part # and just said they would call the dealer; which the dealer said never happened. Very interesting since the dealer service manager and his regional manager do not have any solution to repair at this point. Only solution discussed is if they go the route of a non OEM tone ring which won’t be done under warranty and I have to then attempt to get reimbursed from FCA for (which will be thousands). Curious if anyone found a solution, experienced some thing similar and if not just wanted to give everyone a heads up based on what I am going through. As of now I have a not operating truck, with no solution of repair, a rental car that I am paying for and not a lot of faith with the ecodiesel’s reliability or safety. Ironically the same truck was towed to my local dealer just 3 months ago due to a failure on the EGR cooler for another recall I was waiting months for to complete. Good luck and be prepared since this is a major safety concern.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I am not seeing the near fatal situation, all you had to do was stop the truck on the dirt road if you blocked the road for a while due to no shoulder so be it. As for the tone ring, there is a software update that allows the truck to still run if the tone ring fails. It sounds more like you have run into a dealer who is really not trying very hard.

Here is the recall: RECALL: FCA Recalling Approximately 58,000 2014 To 2018 EcoDiesel Models: - MoparInsiders

Here is the actual recall notice itself: RCLRPT-20V475-5815.PDF

I am not understanding why the dealer can't just do the software update now and that should at least get the truck running again as it will use cam position signal instead of the crankshaft signal. It will have MIL light on the dash and you will still need to get the tone wheel replaced.

So the next question is did you delete emission equipment and refuse the software update, if so then the recall notice says if you refused the software update the tone wheel will be replaced.

·
Banned
667 Posts
Wow, if you had been on a turn on the dirt road and lost your steering and brakes and plummeted over... there's a member here Ramcares, that might be helpful if you reach out, possibly get you into a loaner, until FCA releases the software patch to patch the reluctor wheel problem you're dead in the water, last week there was a thread about buying reluctor wheels on ebay I believe, post #10 in this thread
may be useful, great 1'st post.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Maybe this will help you it is labeled as a A/C bracket for some reason but I think this is the part you need:

Here is another view and it is listed as reluctor wheel:

·
Registered
365 Posts
So the software update is available?
According to the recall it was scheduled for dealer and customer notification in October 2020 and we are not almost halfway through December, either way I posted a dealer who has the tone wheel or reluctor wheel which ever you want to call it and it is only a $55.00 dollar part.

If he needs the chankshaft position sensor here is the link for that as well it is a $125 dollar part.

Here is another one at the same site that is only listed as $26 dollars and say it is the reluctor wheel.

·
Registered
365 Posts
According to the recall notification was to start October 2020 to both dealers and owners, we are now in December 2020. It should be noted that the 2019 Ram 1500 Classic GEN2 ecodiesels do not fall under this recall so they already have the software programed from the factory.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Wow. Crazy that parts seem to be available online and if FCA claims they aren't available it's just another example to me how inept they are. I know this may not be the new part, etc. but who really wants a software fix for a hardware failure? In the end, FCA needs to fix the problem not put a band aid on it by using s/w (f/w).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am not seeing the near fatal situation, all you had to do was stop the truck on the dirt road if you blocked the road for a while due to no shoulder so be it. As for the tone ring, there is a software update that allows the truck to still run if the tone ring fails. It sounds more like you have run into a dealer who is really not trying very hard.

Here is the recall: RECALL: FCA Recalling Approximately 58,000 2014 To 2018 EcoDiesel Models: - MoparInsiders

Here is the actual recall notice itself: RCLRPT-20V475-5815.PDF

I am not understanding why the dealer can't just do the software update now and that should at least get the truck running again as it will use cam position signal instead of the crankshaft signal. It will have MIL light on the dash and you will still need to get the tone wheel replaced.

So the next question is did you delete emission equipment and refuse the software update, if so then the recall notice says if you refused the software update the tone wheel will be replaced.

I can confirm the software the software update is not available. If you log into the Mopar app to view the recall it will show currently not available and FCA is saying Q1 of 2021. This is verified with the dealer and Chrysler customer care.

As far as costs are concerned majority of the costs I believe will be in the labor. From what I understand to get to the sensor and wheel the transmission actually needs to be drained & removed to replace. Between the tow, rental, and repair I am guessing it will be about $2k.

The road also is more of a private trail, requiring 4x4 to get to and fairly difficult to navigate, especially since it was snowing lightly. Easy to downplay but I think it would have been very dangerous if it had happened on the trail and impossible to recover.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow, if you had been on a turn on the dirt road and lost your steering and brakes and plummeted over... there's a member here Ramcares, that might be helpful if you reach out, possibly get you into a loaner, until FCA releases the software patch to patch the reluctor wheel problem you're dead in the water, last week there was a thread about buying reluctor wheels on ebay I believe, post #10 in this thread
It was
That thread is very useful since looks like an identical failure so thank you. Related to the trail thank you for that concern as well. Not comforting if we had that issue on the trail with my two young girls, dogs and pregnant wife in the truck.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I can confirm the software the software update is not available. If you log into the Mopar app to view the recall it will show currently not available and FCA is saying Q1 of 2021. This is verified with the dealer and Chrysler customer care.

As far as costs are concerned majority of the costs I believe will be in the labor. From what I understand to get to the sensor and wheel the transmission actually needs to be drained & removed to replace. Between the tow, rental, and repair I am guessing it will be about $2k.

The road also is more of a private trail, requiring 4x4 to get to and fairly difficult to navigate, especially since it was snowing lightly. Easy to downplay but I think it would have been very dangerous if it had happened on the trail and impossible to recover.
That's a new one having to drain a transmission before you remove it. While the transmission has to be removed and replaced (R&R) to get to the reluctor ring that should only be an hour to an hour and half job on its own with a lift.

This dealer you are at does not sound competent or they are just looking to rip off their customers charging them for things that are not needed.

When I was a line mechanic I pulled many a transmission both manual and automatic and never had to drain one before pulling it.

Sounds more like the dealer sees an opportunity to charge you an arm and a leg for the transmission fluid these trucks use. There is nothing special about the ZF/Mopar transmission fluid in fact you can find other brands in the $12 dollar a quart range that work in the ZF transmissions and they are better synthetic fluids. The ZF fluid is a semi-synthetic fluid.

·
Registered
557 Posts
The book time for a 2014 Larimie 4x4 crankshaft pos. sen. is 5.4 hrs. Electric P/S and enough vacuum for at least 1 complete stop should not render the vehicle any danger to safely stop or steer the truck.

·
Registered
365 Posts
The book time for a 2014 Larimie 4x4 crankshaft pos. sen. is 5.4 hrs. Electric P/S and enough vacuum for at least 1 complete stop should not render the vehicle any danger to safely stop or steer the truck.
Just to clarify I was just talking about removing and reinstalling the transmission not the work to replace the reluctor ring itself. Telling the customer they need to drain the transmission fluid when that job will end up costing $1200 dollars at a dealer on its own just to do a transmission fluid change I find to be on the disingenuous side by the dealer. It is criminal what ZF and FCA along with the other manufactures are charging for semi-synthetic transmission fluid.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Don't have to drain transmission to remove. I used to try different high stall converters in my last hemi Ram, my mechanic would drop, install a different converter and have it back on the dyno in an hour. Dealers are full of $hit.

·
Registered
443 Posts
When my dealer replaced the ring and sensor it was less then a day,
they didn't remove the transmission.
They did unbolt it and move it back far enough to get to and remove the flex plate and tone ring,
remove and replaced the sensor and reinstalled the flex plate and transmission.
There was no fluid listed on the bill which was all warrantied.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I can confirm the dealer is not competent and agree on that 100% which is why I have cases open with FCA to mitigate as well. Dealer hasn’t even identified the parts to quote and I was basing my estimate solely of what other people have paid in various forums
That's a new one having to drain a transmission before you remove it. While the transmission has to be removed and replaced (R&R) to get to the reluctor ring that should only be an hour to an hour and half job on its own with a lift.

This dealer you are at does not sound competent or they are just looking to rip off their customers charging them for things that are not needed.

When I was a line mechanic I pulled many a transmission both manual and automatic and never had to drain one before pulling it.

Sounds more like the dealer sees an opportunity to charge you an arm and a leg for the transmission fluid these trucks use. There is nothing special about the ZF/Mopar transmission fluid in fact you can find other brands in the $12 dollar a quart range that work in the ZF transmissions and they are better synthetic fluids. The ZF fluid is a semi-synthetic fluid.
I agree that the dealer does not seem competent which is why I opened up cases with FCA direct as well. They haven’t even provided an estimate yet since they can’t identify the correct part #’s. Not a lot of choices to have it towed to when you are in the middle of nowhere. My 2k estimate is based of other people shared costs adding rental and tow bill which wasn’t cheap. I am hoping it is as cheap as you suggest but the post NPRboy shared in this thread was an identical repair at $1350 and I have seen similar costs posted around. I am sure there is cheaper non-oem labor as well but really wanted to go to the closest dealer since FCA should ultimately reimburse all costs once it is closed. Just not happy to foot the bill in the mean time.
When my dealer replaced the ring and sensor it was less then a day,
they didn't remove the transmission.
They did unbolt it and move it back far enough to get to and remove the flex plate and tone ring,
remove and replaced the sensor and reinstalled the flex plate and transmission.
There was no fluid listed on the bill which was all warrantied.
Great to know. Was this done following announcement of the recall or before the recall with standard warranty work? Also, did they use the original OEM P/N on the flex plate?

·
Registered
341 Posts
According to the recall notification was to start October 2020 to both dealers and owners, we are now in December 2020. It should be noted that the 2019 Ram 1500 Classic GEN2 ecodiesels do not fall under this recall so they already have the software programed from the factory.
My 2018 isn't in the recall either.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I just went through this with my 2014 Ram ED so I hope I can clear up some confusion. 1) There is no "new improved" tone ring" available. P/N 68493358AA is a replacement part that will work as an interim repair (not recall). I found the replacement on eBay at a Jeep dealer in Greece (yea in Europe). With expedited shipping to the dealer it was $153. Ram replaced my tone ring with this one and specified on the repair order that the W58 recall was not done due to no parts available. 2) The transmission does not need to be drained, but it does need to be moved back about 6 inches to allow access to the flex plate and tone ring. 3) The "software fix" is a band aid that will reprogram the ECM to use camshaft position instead of crankshaft position if crankshaft position is lost on a running engine. It is my understanding that a running engine will stay running under this condition, but once you shut it off it will not restart.
4) Ram customer care case manager was of zero help to me and was of zero help to the dealer. They serve no purpose other than to annoy an already frustrated customer. Hope this helps those that are going through this.

Reactions: tjkoen01 and HYDREX
1 - 20 of 58 Posts