RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
That does make more sense now if it’s the same P/N why the dealer is scratching their head. I just don’t know why they would even mention a new interim P/N or tell the dealer the current one that can fail is no longer available, if t.

I understood the software fix bandaid related to it switching to read camshaft position over crankshaft position but based of what you are saying have a new concern.

Based of what you are saying if the failure happens again it will not restart after shut down then to me it is not even a permenant band-aid fix if they aren’t correcting the component of failure. Looks like I could be in a similar situation with the exception it wouldn’t stall while driving causing a potential accident.

Did FCA at least reimburse you for the repair. Legally they should so I hope you received your money back.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I just went through this with my 2014 Ram ED so I hope I can clear up some confusion. 1) There is no "new improved" tone ring" available. P/N 68493358AA is a replacement part that will work as an interim repair (not recall). I found the replacement on eBay at a Jeep dealer in Greece (yea in Europe). With expedited shipping to the dealer it was $153. Ram replaced my tone ring with this one and specified on the repair order that the W58 recall was not done due to no parts available. 2) The transmission does not need to be drained, but it does need to be moved back about 6 inches to allow access to the flex plate and tone ring. 3) The "software fix" is a band aid that will reprogram the ECM to use camshaft position instead of crankshaft position if crankshaft position is lost on a running engine. It is my understanding that a running engine will stay running under this condition, but once you shut it off it will not restart.
4) Ram customer care case manager was of zero help to me and was of zero help to the dealer. They serve no purpose other than to annoy an already frustrated customer. Hope this helps those that are going through this.
That does make more sense now if it’s the same P/N on why the dealer is scratching their head. I just don’t know why FCA care would even mention a new interim P/N or why Mopar is telling the dealer the current one that can fail is no longer available, if it is just the same P/N so thanks for the tip.

I understood the software fix/bandaid related to it switching to read camshaft position over crankshaft position but based of what you are saying I have a new concern. If when the software update comes out again and what you are saying happens to where if the ring/wheel fails it wouldn't stall while running but still wouldn't startup again once off then the band-aid doesn't even fix the problem, especially if they aren't correcting the mechanical component. Theoretically it wouldn't cause an accident due to the fact it couldn't stall while running but I could still be camping hours away of service and be up another creek if it dies. I hope that isn't the case but that wouldn't make me very happy, and like mentioned earlier they shouldn't be attempting to fix a mechanical issue with a software update. I would think the software update should allow you to operate the vehicle as normal including restart and at most would just throw a code if this truly is the recall fix.

Follow up question Did FCA at least reimburse you for the repair. Legally they are obligated to reimburse you on repairs made for a recall before a fix comes out so I hope you receive your money back. Also, what was the final bill before they did reimburse? Glad the tranny does not physically need to be drained and completely removed.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I can confirm the dealer is not competent and agree on that 100% which is why I have cases open with FCA to mitigate as well. Dealer hasn’t even identified the parts to quote and I was basing my estimate solely of what other people have paid in various forums

I agree that the dealer does not seem competent which is why I opened up cases with FCA direct as well. They haven’t even provided an estimate yet since they can’t identify the correct part #’s. Not a lot of choices to have it towed to when you are in the middle of nowhere. My 2k estimate is based of other people shared costs adding rental and tow bill which wasn’t cheap. I am hoping it is as cheap as you suggest but the post NPRboy shared in this thread was an identical repair at $1350 and I have seen similar costs posted around. I am sure there is cheaper non-oem labor as well but really wanted to go to the closest dealer since FCA should ultimately reimburse all costs once it is closed. Just not happy to foot the bill in the mean time.

Great to know. Was this done following announcement of the recall or before the recall with standard warranty work? Also, did they use the original OEM P/N on the flex plate?
It was the original part and done before the recall came out.

·
Registered
540 Posts
That does make more sense now if it’s the same P/N on why the dealer is scratching their head. I just don’t know why FCA care would even mention a new interim P/N or why Mopar is telling the dealer the current one that can fail is no longer available, if it is just the same P/N so thanks for the tip.

and like mentioned earlier they shouldn't be attempting to fix a mechanical issue with a software update. I would think the software update should allow you to operate the vehicle as normal including restart and at most would just throw a code if this truly is the recall fix.

Follow up question Did FCA at least reimburse you for the repair. Legally they are obligated to reimburse you on repairs made for a recall before a fix comes out so I hope you receive your money back. Also, what was the final bill before they did reimburse? Glad the tranny does not physically need to be drained and completely removed.
Ram - the P/N 6849 3358AA is NOT the original Ram P/N. It is the P/N for the Jeep ED. The Jeep dealer I bought it from told me (via email) that this part would not fit my Ram truck!

Ram - the software fix resolves the immediate safety concern when the engine stalls at highway speed. The crankshaft sensor is the signal required by the ECM to know when #1 cylinder is at TDC on compression and ready for the injector to add fuel. Remember that the camshaft turns at half of engine speed.

Ram - I have submitted expenses of $923 out of pocket including motels. rental of a U-Haul truck to complete my journey, $153 for the replacement tone wheel from Greece, and a rental car to go get my truck when it was fixed. I have the 8yr/120,000mi warranty which covered all the dealer costs so I don't know what the cost was. I submitted receipts and justification, but the reimbursement process can take 60-90 days.

·
Registered
2017 1500 Tradesman Ecodiesel 4x4 Quad Cab 3.55 Gears
1,203 Posts
My 2018 isn't in the recall either.
After reading your post, I checked on my Mopar.com site, and for my 2017 Ecodiesel there is no listing for a tone ring recall either. Not a word about it. Just the EGR cooler deal.

Now you guys got my curiosity up about this. The whole deal between the EGR and the reluctor ring is making me want to go test drive new trucks....

·
Registered
360 Posts
This is just a rumor at this point in time.
Might be just a rumor, but from a control system perspective, I’d say it’s true. Plus, if they could have programmed their way out of using $200 worth of parts, they would have done it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
9,430 Posts
Might be just a rumor, but from a control system perspective, I’d say it’s true. Plus, if they could have programmed their way out of using $200 worth of parts, they would have done it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Could be. Hopefully we will know soon.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Thanks guys, yeah mine is on the recall list I guess I will need to get this done this summer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had a catastrophic and almost fatal failure related to recall W58 (with a pending fix) this week. Posting to help if anyone else will have the same issue since after my experience this is a serious safety concern. Was driving my 2014 Ecodiesel ram back from a cabin on vacation earlier this week and immediately after pulling onto the highway off the dirt road the truck completely shut down throwing multiple codes and would not start up again. Lucky for me it didn’t happen on the dirt road we just pulled off from since part of that road is thin with a cliff off one side. Also, with how that road turns and based off the failure on the highway I am fairly confident it could have been fatal if the failure happened on the previous road. Anyways, I keep an OBD II scanner in the truck and the permenant code shown immediately after the failure was PO336 leading me to think it was the tone ring failure on the crankshaft position sensor since the failure was almost identical to what is listed in the recall W58. Had Chrysler Roadside Assistance tow it at my expense to the nearest dealer about an hour away and they confirmed the following day that it was the tone ring that failed on the sensor as I assumed. I did get a rental car out of pocket since the dealer is a few hours away from home and the most interesting thing is as of today the dealer has no solution. The recall solution approved is a pending software fix which is not out yet. Dealer is stating that ram is not providing the original tone ring since it is a known failed part, and there is not a replacement one out. Called FCA customer care and they said there is an interim part until the fix is out, but when I asked what that part # was they couldn’t provide a specific part # and just said they would call the dealer; which the dealer said never happened. Very interesting since the dealer service manager and his regional manager do not have any solution to repair at this point. Only solution discussed is if they go the route of a non OEM tone ring which won’t be done under warranty and I have to then attempt to get reimbursed from FCA for (which will be thousands). Curious if anyone found a solution, experienced some thing similar and if not just wanted to give everyone a heads up based on what I am going through. As of now I have a not operating truck, with no solution of repair, a rental car that I am paying for and not a lot of faith with the ecodiesel’s reliability or safety. Ironically the same truck was towed to my local dealer just 3 months ago due to a failure on the EGR cooler for another recall I was waiting months for to complete. Good luck and be prepared since this is a major safety concern.
Hello, had the same thing happen with a truck on a highway in the next town heading to work. First, they say they ordered the tone wheel then it got back-ordered twice then they say the company is making a whole new tonewheel, then they say can't get the part they are bypassing with a software update. So they wouldn't give us a car to use, only a warranty on the powertrain. So three days from a month of the truck just sitting in the shop, he tells me they gave him the part and they might be able to get it in today. But will still need to bring the truck in for the fix in January?

·
Registered
557 Posts
Hello, had the same thing happen with a truck on a highway in the next town heading to work. First, they say they ordered the tone wheel then it got back-ordered twice then they say the company is making a whole new tonewheel, then they say can't get the part they are bypassing with a software update. So they wouldn't give us a car to use, only a warranty on the powertrain. So three days from a month of the truck just sitting in the shop, he tells me they gave him the part and they might be able to get it in today. But will still need to bring the truck in for the fix in January?
Its probably the software update in Jan. But if they are making a whole new tone wheel and you got it that might solve all your problems ?

·
Registered
32 Posts
VEHICLE FITMENT
68493358aa
And we got lucky it also fits 2021s...........
MakeBody & TrimEngine & Transmission
2021 Jeep GladiatorOverland, Rubicon, Sport, Sport S, Willys, Willys Sport3.0L V6 - Diesel
2021 Jeep WranglerUnlimited Freedom, Unlimited High Altitude, Unlimited Islander, Unlimited Rubicon, Unlimited Sahara, Unlimited Sahara Altitude, Unlimited Sport, Unlimited Sport S, Unlimited Willys, Unlimited Willys Sport3.0L V6 - Diesel
2021 Ram 1500Big Horn, Laramie, Limited, Lone Star, Rebel, Tradesman3.0L V6 - Diesel
2020 Jeep WranglerUnlimited Rubicon, Unlimited Sahara, Unlimited Sport, Unlimited Sport S3.0L V6 - Diesel
2020 Ram 1500Big Horn, Laramie, Laramie Longhorn, Limited, Lone Star, Rebel, Tradesman3.0L V6 - Diesel
2019 Jeep Grand CherokeeLimited, Overland, Summit, Trailhawk3.0L V6 - Diesel
2019 Ram 1500 ClassicLaramie, Tradesman3.0L V6 - Diesel
2018 Jeep Grand CherokeeHigh Altitude, Limited, Overland, Summit, Trailhawk3.0L V6 - Diesel
2018 Ram 1500Big Horn, Laramie, Laramie Longhorn, Limited, Lone Star, SLT, Sport, Tradesman3.0L V6 - Diesel
2017 Jeep Grand CherokeeLimited, Overland, Summit, Trailhawk3.0L V6 - Diesel
2017 Ram 1500Big Horn, Laramie, Laramie Longhorn, Limited, Lone Star, SLT, Tradesman3.0L V6 - Diesel
2016 Jeep Grand CherokeeLimited, Overland, Summit3.0L V6 - Diesel
2016 Ram 1500Big Horn, HFE, Laramie, Laramie Longhorn, Limited, Lone Star, Outdoorsman, SLT, Tradesman3.0L V6 - Diesel
2015 Jeep Grand CherokeeLimited, Overland, Summit3.0L V6 - Diesel
2015 Ram 1500Big Horn, Laramie, Laramie Limited, Laramie Longhorn, Limited, Lone Star, Outdoorsman, SLT, Tradesman3.0L V6 - Diesel
2014 Jeep Grand CherokeeLimited, Overland, Summit3.0L V6 - Diesel
2014 Ram 1500Big Horn, Laramie, Laramie Limited, Laramie Longhorn, Lone Star, Outdoorsman, SLT, Tradesman3.0L V6 - Diesel

·
Registered
12 Posts
Had a catastrophic and almost fatal failure related to recall W58 (with a pending fix) this week. Posting to help if anyone else will have the same issue since after my experience this is a serious safety concern. Was driving my 2014 Ecodiesel ram back from a cabin on vacation earlier this week and immediately after pulling onto the highway off the dirt road the truck completely shut down throwing multiple codes and would not start up again. Lucky for me it didn’t happen on the dirt road we just pulled off from since part of that road is thin with a cliff off one side. Also, with how that road turns and based off the failure on the highway I am fairly confident it could have been fatal if the failure happened on the previous road. Anyways, I keep an OBD II scanner in the truck and the permenant code shown immediately after the failure was PO336 leading me to think it was the tone ring failure on the crankshaft position sensor since the failure was almost identical to what is listed in the recall W58. Had Chrysler Roadside Assistance tow it at my expense to the nearest dealer about an hour away and they confirmed the following day that it was the tone ring that failed on the sensor as I assumed. I did get a rental car out of pocket since the dealer is a few hours away from home and the most interesting thing is as of today the dealer has no solution. The recall solution approved is a pending software fix which is not out yet. Dealer is stating that ram is not providing the original tone ring since it is a known failed part, and there is not a replacement one out. Called FCA customer care and they said there is an interim part until the fix is out, but when I asked what that part # was they couldn’t provide a specific part # and just said they would call the dealer; which the dealer said never happened. Very interesting since the dealer service manager and his regional manager do not have any solution to repair at this point. Only solution discussed is if they go the route of a non OEM tone ring which won’t be done under warranty and I have to then attempt to get reimbursed from FCA for (which will be thousands). Curious if anyone found a solution, experienced some thing similar and if not just wanted to give everyone a heads up based on what I am going through. As of now I have a not operating truck, with no solution of repair, a rental car that I am paying for and not a lot of faith with the ecodiesel’s reliability or safety. Ironically the same truck was towed to my local dealer just 3 months ago due to a failure on the EGR cooler for another recall I was waiting months for to complete. Good luck and be prepared since this is a major safety concern.
I have had two on my 2016 before I trade it in for a 2020 ED. Seems like it always happened when accelerating on the highway, both times from on ramps. The first time I paid to have it replaced, the second 6 months later or this February they replaced it under the 2 year part warranty. Apparently the part is out there but it took a week to get and they gave me a free loaner (only as I know the dealer very well). The software fix which was not out when I traded it in, it was suppose to put the truck in a limp mode so you could at least drive it to the shop. It is unnerving when it died on the highway and became a brick with traffic flying by. I am hoping the third generation engine has been changed but we'll see. The issue is the magnetic strip on the ring, it delaminates with heat and age and a piece of the strip comes off and now you are out of luck. Cheap looking part and I do have it as they gave is to me, the size of the piece that cam off was about 1/2 inch of the strip which is a 1/4 inch wide.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Apologies if this has already been said but the recalls software update will not mobilize the truck, it will only prevent a sudden shutdown while driving in the event it fails. So you would have no idea until you jump in your Truck someday and get a no start that the trip before your reluctor wheel had failed. The magnet tone strip is taped around the wheel and flies off. Mine failed in ice fishing season 6 miles out on Lake of the woods at dusk with wife and kids driving, luckily had both trucks we switched and she towed me to town.. where I then had to Trailer it 100 miles to the dealer.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Mine went out a little more than a year ago while I was doing 70 miles an hour on a freeway. I managed to get it over to the side of the road and had it towed to the dealer. The crankshaft sensor is covered under the AEM warranty but not the reluctor wheel. They swapped mine out for free but not before giving me an estimate of $2300.00. I got no explanation as to why they decided to cover the fix. I've been waiting over a year to get the egr cooler fix.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Please tell me how this was covered?
My 2016 Ram crew cab short box bought new by me with 132k miles died on interstate towing fully laden trailer. Safely got to shoulder. Towed. My Mopar extended maxcare plus warranty expired at 125K. Dealer says no warranty. Says no recall.
Estimate $1800 for repair. No parts available for repair. Truck now at dealer one month. Dealer says will have to try reorder parts in New year, can’t even try ordering before than!

lost trucke to dealer for almost 2 months in July, for cab off turbo replacement and exhaust flage bolt replacement, covered under warranty plus $800 charge to me!!!!!

No recall, no parts, no warranty, no options, no truck. But still pay loan payment.

why no recall or coverage, especially after emissions recall/reprogramming after diesel scandal?

·
Registered
21 Posts
How many miles was on the truck when the issue happen?
so we are waiting for the official recall, and dealer parts to come in, someday?

21 - 40 of 58 Posts