RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Tone ring/ crank position sensor died with mileage as stated.

I don’t understand where some owners report repair covered with recall?

My dealer still insists no recal, cash repair and btw..........no parts or known parts availability!!!!

·
Registered
361 Posts
Maybe you should try another dealer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
540 Posts

My dealer still insists no recal, cash repair and btw..........no parts or known parts availability!!!!
Did you get the AEM recall done? The crank position sensor is covered by the 4 year 48,000 mile warranty on ALL emissions equipment including the sensor. The labor to replace the sensor is 90% of the labor to replace the tone wheel. The wheel is relatively cheap. A suitable replacement tone wheel is P/N 6849 3358AA. Your dealer is correct, this is NOT the new improved wheel covered by the recall which will not be available until January 2021 at the earliest. So.... the dealer can repair your truck with the new sensor under the AEM warranty and the tone wheel with the incremental cost covered by you. Your truck should still be eligible for the recall when the new improved tone wheel finally is available.

Reactions: Jinx

·
Registered
32 Posts
I put a post on earlier this last month or 2. My 2015 big horn quad cab(83,000mi) had samething happen down highway at 65 mph, heard some clanking and by time i turned radio down , it died. Coasted to stop on side of highway, course it wouldn't restart. Ram roadside assistance was a joke. Had it flatbedded next day to dealer on a friday. That monday, they diagnosed toner wheel. Didnt know when theyd get part, on back order. This was sept. 22, before recall was out, and just about 4 wks outside my 5 yr/100k powertrain warranty. long story short, they got part in 3 1/2 wks later and got put in. Then they call and say, we got a problem. they found shavings in my fuel filter. never said how it happened but RAm told em to fix it. so, they cleaned gas tank, replaced high pressure fuel pump, blew lines out and replaced fuel rail and injectors. took for a drive, ran fine for 1/2 hr. they checked filter and still had some contaminates. changed it, took for another drive, came back and truck lost oil pressure. Motor was toast. so 2 weeks go by and shop gives Ram an estimate of over 11 grand to fix it. The gal in charge a my case finally gets some answers from above and asks if I'd be willing to participate in any of the costs to replace motor. I said, the part went bad before the NHTSA gov't recall was even out. The truck was running fine before partwent bad in middle a highway. So, no, this is on RAM, not me. Talked with NHSTA and they said no too. they said if ram doesn't do something about it, talk with the federal trade commission and your state attorney general. So, my wife did all this stuff and demanded to discuss this thru emails to the gal in charge or our case(Cherise is her name at RAM Customer Care should you need a person on ED's) and another long story short, they put a new engine in my truck, total bill was 22$, cost for 2 new cab bolts as they take the cab off to replace engine, its easier. So, yeah, just have to do some bitching and show em what they're supposed to do in these cases and they'll take car of ya. I even had a loaner for the whole almost 2 month process that they covered. Find a decent dealer, one i bought it from sucks, so i always have went to another one 20 miles away and they took care of it with a little research and standing firm to RAM.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Update on the post now that the repair is complete. The repair ended up taking 2 weeks due to a lead time in the repair. According to FCA customer care they are only sending a limited # of tone/reluctor rings out and each dealer can get a bout 1 every 7 days due to the backlog. Like everything else right now they mentioned the delays are happening with COVID bringing in the part from Italy. Interesting enough I later found out there happened to be 2 other failed rams at this dealer at the same time with the same issue so my truck was in line for the part. I found this interesting since this may be a more common issue than thought. Varying estimates on hours but this dealer said it took between 7-8 hours to do the repair. According to them they did take the transmission out vs just pulling it out of the way a bit. The dealer did send me a picture of the failed tone/reluctor ring and that is attached. For anyone going through a similar issue FCA will have to cover any repairs until the software update is completed. I was lucky enough to have the warranty covered without too much of a battle and the $800 in car rentals & tow bill is in the process of being reimbursed.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
I put a post on earlier this last month or 2. My 2015 big horn quad cab(83,000mi) had samething happen down highway at 65 mph, heard some clanking and by time i turned radio down , it died. Coasted to stop on side of highway, course it wouldn't restart. Ram roadside assistance was a joke. Had it flatbedded next day to dealer on a friday. That monday, they diagnosed toner wheel. Didnt know when theyd get part, on back order. This was sept. 22, before recall was out, and just about 4 wks outside my 5 yr/100k powertrain warranty. long story short, they got part in 3 1/2 wks later and got put in. Then they call and say, we got a problem. they found shavings in my fuel filter. never said how it happened but RAm told em to fix it. so, they cleaned gas tank, replaced high pressure fuel pump, blew lines out and replaced fuel rail and injectors. took for a drive, ran fine for 1/2 hr. they checked filter and still had some contaminates. changed it, took for another drive, came back and truck lost oil pressure. Motor was toast. so 2 weeks go by and shop gives Ram an estimate of over 11 grand to fix it. The gal in charge a my case finally gets some answers from above and asks if I'd be willing to participate in any of the costs to replace motor. I said, the part went bad before the NHTSA gov't recall was even out. The truck was running fine before partwent bad in middle a highway. So, no, this is on RAM, not me. Talked with NHSTA and they said no too. they said if ram doesn't do something about it, talk with the federal trade commission and your state attorney general. So, my wife did all this stuff and demanded to discuss this thru emails to the gal in charge or our case(Cherise is her name at RAM Customer Care should you need a person on ED's) and another long story short, they put a new engine in my truck, total bill was 22$, cost for 2 new cab bolts as they take the cab off to replace engine, its easier. So, yeah, just have to do some bitching and show em what they're supposed to do in these cases and they'll take car of ya. I even had a loaner for the whole almost 2 month process that they covered. Find a decent dealer, one i bought it from sucks, so i always have went to another one 20 miles away and they took care of it with a little research and standing firm to RAM.
Excellent post and good reminder that the squeaky wheel gets the grease. I felt that the amount of escalation I did was the biggest reason everything got covered as quickly as it did (even though it took a full two weeks).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·

The approved fix for the tone ring failure is a software fix and even though it was originally due by now
After reading your post, I checked on my Mopar.com site, and for my 2017 Ecodiesel there is no listing for a tone ring recall either. Not a word about it. Just the EGR cooler deal.

Now you guys got my curiosity up about this. The whole deal between the EGR and the reluctor ring is making me want to go test drive new trucks....
Recall effects 2014-2018 trucks so I am surprise yours is not listed under the pending recall. As far as the EGR cooler I waited for months as well and then my failed, started leaking and magically they got it on the books since it wasn't safe for me to drive. Unfortunately, I am in the same boat as you with this wanting me to test drive other trucks. Literally every issue on the truck that I have had has been a recall item, which is nice since it has been covered; but every time a recall comes out it seems to fail. I even had the issue with my tailgate popping open randomly when driving and locked... and a couple months later it became a recall item. This is my 3rd ram and I have had more issues on this than my other 2 rams combined.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
How many miles was on the truck when the issue happen?
so we are waiting for the official recall, and dealer parts to come in, someday?
About 78,000 miles. Recall was due in Oct but now they are saying fix will be Q1 of 2021. The approved pending fix is currently just a software update which make sure the truck doesn't stall if the failure occurs. Unfortunately, this is a bandaid fix but if your truck fails before the flash is out due to the tone ring they will be obligated to replace or refund a repair you completed on the mechanical part.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Please tell me how this was covered?
My 2016 Ram crew cab short box bought new by me with 132k miles died on interstate towing fully laden trailer. Safely got to shoulder. Towed. My Mopar extended maxcare plus warranty expired at 125K. Dealer says no warranty. Says no recall.
Estimate $1800 for repair. No parts available for repair. Truck now at dealer one month. Dealer says will have to try reorder parts in New year, can’t even try ordering before than!

lost trucke to dealer for almost 2 months in July, for cab off turbo replacement and exhaust flage bolt replacement, covered under warranty plus $800 charge to me!!!!!

No recall, no parts, no warranty, no options, no truck. But still pay loan payment.

why no recall or coverage, especially after emissions recall/reprogramming after diesel scandal?
Did the dealer diagnose it to be the Tone/Reluctor ring? It looks like your issue may have been different if they did work on the turbo and exhaust and I am not sure if that is covered. If it is the tone/reluctor ring that is covered under the recall and they are obligated to cover the part that failed mechanically until the software update is out. Anytime there is an approved recall the OEM has 3 ways to remedy. Repair, Refund (a repair you completed) or replace. If a dealer does not perform this it should be reported to the OEM, and if the OEM is not fulfilling its requirements to meet the recall remedy I would report it to the NHTSA. They actually list this as an action item on their .gov site to do if the dealer or OEM is not meeting the recall remedies. I would just make sure it was the issue under recall and then start escalating. I was not getting any traction with the dealer myself and had to escalate through FCA direct to get something done. With an item that is backordered and expensive to repair they are probably getting to the loudest complaints first.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have this same problem. 2015 ram ecodiesel in Canada with 115k km (70k miles). Was driving along the the highway when many malfunction lights came on, lost power steering, and engine noises seemed very bad. Stalled on a bridge. Managed to get the truck onto the side of the road. Would not start.
Had it towed to the dealer on 03DEC2020. The next day, Diagnosed as the tone sensor/ reluctor wheel issue. This is the subject of the recall.
I was setup with a rental car on 05DEC2020. I am still waiting for repair details, i called into the local dealer and am told the parts are ordered, they are on back order, and there is no estimate for when they will arrive.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Picked up my truck today 14JAN2021. Dealer repaired by replacing reluctorwheel/tonewheel and the tone sensor.
Recall is still outstanding, but I am back on the road for now. I will have to go back for recall at some point.
P/Ns replaced: 68493358AA and 68490180AA

·
Registered
29 Posts
Had a catastrophic and almost fatal failure related to recall W58 (with a pending fix) this week. Posting to help if anyone else will have the same issue since after my experience this is a serious safety concern. Was driving my 2014 Ecodiesel ram back from a cabin on vacation earlier this week and immediately after pulling onto the highway off the dirt road the truck completely shut down throwing multiple codes and would not start up again. Lucky for me it didn’t happen on the dirt road we just pulled off from since part of that road is thin with a cliff off one side. Also, with how that road turns and based off the failure on the highway I am fairly confident it could have been fatal if the failure happened on the previous road. Anyways, I keep an OBD II scanner in the truck and the permenant code shown immediately after the failure was PO336 leading me to think it was the tone ring failure on the crankshaft position sensor since the failure was almost identical to what is listed in the recall W58. Had Chrysler Roadside Assistance tow it at my expense to the nearest dealer about an hour away and they confirmed the following day that it was the tone ring that failed on the sensor as I assumed. I did get a rental car out of pocket since the dealer is a few hours away from home and the most interesting thing is as of today the dealer has no solution. The recall solution approved is a pending software fix which is not out yet. Dealer is stating that ram is not providing the original tone ring since it is a known failed part, and there is not a replacement one out. Called FCA customer care and they said there is an interim part until the fix is out, but when I asked what that part # was they couldn’t provide a specific part # and just said they would call the dealer; which the dealer said never happened. Very interesting since the dealer service manager and his regional manager do not have any solution to repair at this point. Only solution discussed is if they go the route of a non OEM tone ring which won’t be done under warranty and I have to then attempt to get reimbursed from FCA for (which will be thousands). Curious if anyone found a solution, experienced some thing similar and if not just wanted to give everyone a heads up based on what I am going through. As of now I have a not operating truck, with no solution of repair, a rental car that I am paying for and not a lot of faith with the ecodiesel’s reliability or safety. Ironically the same truck was towed to my local dealer just 3 months ago due to a failure on the EGR cooler for another recall I was waiting months for to complete. Good luck and be prepared since this is a major safety concern.
We had the recall for the software fix (20V475) completed a little over a week ago. Not long after the truck bucked and acted like it was running out of fuel if pressed beyond gentle acceleration. Our fuel filter was due for a change and I thought there was possibly some water in the fuel or the filter was clogged. We got it to the dealership and after two days of diagnosis were told the crankshaft tone wheel had failed. The service writer told us he had ordered the part. According to him all is covered under warranty. Apparently the software fix is a "get home" measure if the crankshaft sensor fails. Worked for us.

·
Registered
29 Posts
When my dealer replaced the ring and sensor it was less then a day,
they didn't remove the transmission.
They did unbolt it and move it back far enough to get to and remove the flex plate and tone ring,
remove and replaced the sensor and reinstalled the flex plate and transmission.
There was no fluid listed on the bill which was all warrantied.
Happy to hear the tranny didn't have to be totally removed. Our Ecodiesel had the software mod and a week or so later the tone wheel failed. Waiting on the part now.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Mine just failed at 80k on my 2015. Dealer put me right into a rental that they cover. He told me it took them a month to get the wheel last time, so I just bought one on ebay. I asked them not to flash the truck. We'll see if they do. They also said they had to fight FCA on whether they would cover it since I have a warranty hold from years ago when I mentioned on FB that I put a tune on a friend's truck and his engine went a week later. They still replaced his motor, with the hold, but never took mine off.

·
Registered
8 Posts
How is it your 2015 was covered including loaner, while I even purchased Mopar Maxcare warranty when new, and they refused all liability !!!???

to add insult to injury, the dealer had just replaced my brakes/rotors/caliper 2 moths before tone ring failed. When I got my truck back 5 mos later after sitting on dealer lot waiting for parts, calipers frozen, rusted with rotors and had to replace everything!!! Once again, Chrysler anddealership denied any and all liability. Another couple of grand gone !!!!!!!

41 - 58 of 58 Posts