RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I ordered a Big Horn from a dealer 2 states away 6wks ago. Been stuck in Final Inspection for 10days now. Meanwhile the one Ram dealer in town gave me a call last night because they got their first Ecodiesel in so I went and checked it out. For the first time I really looked closed at the chrome 20" wheels. Over this past month I'd read a few references to plastic on the chrome wheels but I'd not really understood. During the visits to check out the Hemi Rams, I'd not paid much attention to the chrome wheels other then to wish they weren't chrome.

So it wasn't until last night that I realized that the chrome wheels that I don't like are actually pieces of chromed plastic slapped on top of the wheel almost like a hubcap with spokes. Geeze how lame.

I'm starting to wish I'd ordered the a model with the 17" wheels, saved the $1200 and used it to buy new wheels and tires when the truck showed up. I went looking around Tire rack's website but didn't find anything that looked like a basic brushed or lacquered AL wheel, everything seemed pretty garish.

I guess time will tell just how willing I am to spend a bunch of money replacing perfectly serviceable wheels just because I grind my teeth each time I see the chromed plastic.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I ordered the same truck/wheel combo. I'm reserving opinion till I see them for myself. I do wish they were straight alloy type, though.

I ordered a Big Horn from a dealer 2 states away 6wks ago. Been stuck in Final Inspection for 10days now. Meanwhile the one Ram dealer in town gave me a call last night because they got their first Ecodiesel in so I went and checked it out. For the first time I really looked closed at the chrome 20" wheels. Over this past month I'd read a few references to plastic on the chrome wheels but I'd not really understood. During the visits to check out the Hemi Rams, I'd not paid much attention to the chrome wheels other then to wish they weren't chrome.

So it wasn't until last night that I realized that the chrome wheels that I don't like are actually pieces of chromed plastic slapped on top of the wheel almost like a hubcap with spokes. Geeze how lame.

I'm starting to wish I'd ordered the a model with the 17" wheels, saved the $1200 and used it to buy new wheels and tires when the truck showed up. I went looking around Tire rack's website but didn't find anything that looked like a basic brushed or lacquered AL wheel, everything seemed pretty garish.

I guess time will tell just how willing I am to spend a bunch of money replacing perfectly serviceable wheels just because I grind my teeth each time I see the chromed plastic.

·
Registered
230 Posts
That's the reason I went with the SLT with plus decor package.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk

·
Registered
177 Posts
Glad I ordered the Exterior Appearance Group on my Tradesman. Can't buy a set of 17" painted aluminum wheels anywhere for that kind of money.:eek: In addition to getting chrome grill, front and rear chrome bumpers.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I think you will find logevity in the "plastic" rims though! And easier to clean

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
The chromed plastic cladding looks wrong to me, too. On the Laramie both the 17" and 20" are chrome. The Hemi Outdoorsmans I looked at all had 17" aluminum although that wheel has been restricted with the diesel. I would have ordered something other than chrome if it had been an option.

The topic comes up often in forums so we are not the only ones who feel this way. One owner even went to the great trouble to remove the glued cladding and refinish the wheel. On the plus side, owners report that the chrome holds up well and is easy to clean. Maybe the road crap will not stick to it as easily. We'll see.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Apparently some folks have had success abrading the chrome a bit and painting the plastic the color of their choice. Not a bad idea. The plastic wheelcovers are available for cheap all over the Internet so if you screw up one it's no big deal.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Mu 2003 ram has "chrome clad" wheels too. After 11 years if i clean them up, they honestly look brand new. They lookgood hold up well and are a snap to clean!

·
Registered
438 Posts
Mu 2003 ram has "chrome clad" wheels too. After 11 years if i clean them up, they honestly look brand new. They lookgood hold up well and are a snap to clean!
My 2008 had the 20" Chrome clad and when cleaned, they looked brand new.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Can someone post a picture of the wheel design you're referring to on the ED?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Can someone post a picture of the wheel design you're referring to on the ED?
I can grab a photo if you need it, but honestly you don't know they are chrome-clad until you look really closely or rap your knuckles on them. When you do that, it basically sounds like a plastic hub cap.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I dunno, I suppose if you hit the curb the right way then ya, I just came from an 03 hemi with the 20" chrome cladm the truck was 11 years old and had 463,000 on it when I got rid of it and I definatly rubbed a few curbs with it in those 11 years, the lip took so scrapes but the rims looked mint if you cleaned them up!!

I never really cleaned them the last few years as the truck was getting pretty beat up by this time, but this winter I was driving on the lake up at the cottage when we were all out ice fishing, there was 13-15" of snow which I noticed after I got off the lake the snow rubbing on the rims as I drove shined them up almost looking brand new!

You will find chrome clad hold up amazingly well

·
Registered
735 Posts
The chromed plastic cladding looks wrong to me, too. On the Laramie both the 17" and 20" are chrome. The Hemi Outdoorsmans I looked at all had 17" aluminum although that wheel has been restricted with the diesel. I would have ordered something other than chrome if it had been an option.

The topic comes up often in forums so we are not the only ones who feel this way. One owner even went to the great trouble to remove the glued cladding and refinish the wheel. On the plus side, owners report that the chrome holds up well and is easy to clean. Maybe the road crap will not stick to it as easily. We'll see.
Tel me about it! I was at a dealer and no 17s can be ordered with the EcoDiesel at this time...What Diesel + 17s= singularity or something!! Come on RAM, you can't market a truck for people who camp/fish/hunt/mild-off-road and throw 20s on it!!!

·
Registered
173 Posts
I already posted this in another thread but I will do it again. If you order the OWL tires you get these wheels. It's a $175 dollar option but I like these wheels a lot better than the chrome clad.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts