RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maintenance should not have to be closing your hood carefully. Well it is.

Over the first weeks of ownership many have asked me to open the hood so they could look at the motor. I closed it often by just placing my hand above the hood and pushing it down. Others have closed it and I have no clue how they did it.

There it was ... a perfect image of someone's thumb and palm print IN the hood. No idea how or when it got there.

Took it to the dealer. They offered to pull it out. I accepted and then it went to poo. Seems this aluminum "tin can" hood is not easy to deal with. From what I can gather they tried to suck it out and the aluminum just wrinkled around the dent. It won't "suck" like steel.

They then made the decision to completely remove the hood, open the bracing below the dent, push it out and tap it flat. Then they re-painted the whole thing before re-installing the hood. That took a few days so I have been with a rental car. The dealer, Firkins in Bradenton, FL. picked up the bill. Super!

Grab the outside edges of the hood and push down with both hands. One hand pushed in the middle is flirting with trouble. My take is that the aluminum Ford is going to be prone to easy denting all over. Don't know if that will be but from my experience, be careful . You don't want your hood to look like the craters of the Moon.

Reactions: JAK

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Capt., i'v developed the system of putting my fingers through the part that latches and giving it a quick yank to get it to close... it's effective. thanks for the heads up

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Maintenance should not have to be closing your hood carefully. Well it is.

Over the first weeks of ownership many have asked me to open the hood so they could look at the motor. I closed it often by just placing my hand above the hood and pushing it down. Others have closed it and I have no clue how they did it.

There it was ... a perfect image of someone's thumb and palm print IN the hood. No idea how or when it got there.

Took it to the dealer. They offered to pull it out. I accepted and then it went to poo. Seems this aluminum "tin can" hood is not easy to deal with. From what I can gather they tried to suck it out and the aluminum just wrinkled around the dent. It won't "suck" like steel.

They then made the decision to completely remove the hood, open the bracing below the dent, push it out and tap it flat. Then they re-painted the whole thing before re-installing the hood. That took a few days so I have been with a rental car. The dealer, Firkins in Bradenton, FL. picked up the bill. Super!

Grab the outside edges of the hood and push down with both hands. One hand pushed in the middle is flirting with trouble. My take is that the aluminum Ford is going to be prone to easy denting all over. Don't know if that will be but from my experience, be careful . You don't want your hood to look like the craters of the Moon.
The manual says: "To prevent possible damage, do not slam the hood to close it. Use a firm downward push at the front center of the hood to ensure that both latches engage."

I read that Ram started using an aluminum hood around 2009 and has refined it since. There are a few reports of damage but nothing unusual. My hood seems stiff enough and I cannot make it flex using reasonable force. Aluminum is very stiff and these hoods have reasonable thickness for the purpose of covering the engine bay. My guess is that your hood damage was caused by one of your truck's burly admirers who doesn't know their own strength and really whaled on it.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I never thought that the 2015+ fords would have that problem but after your incident captain maybe they should rethink using an aluminum bed on those trucks. don't know how well an aluminum truck bed will take the torture over the years. Let alone all the dents similar to captains hood. I will Def be careful closing my hood and not let any admirers even touch it.

·
Registered
13,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm going to touch your hood.

Every time you tell someone not to touch anything, or put up a "do not touch" sign, it's touched.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I wonder if you could install a pull-down motor like you see on trunks, sliding doors, and rear hatches?

·
Registered
13,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tell you something else. I bought an AVS deflector for the hood. Went to put it on yesterday and it literally took all day. It's not that I'm retarded it's that the pictures and directions are beyond the confusing. After much consternation on the direction of these clamps over the hood, I called AVS. They ended up asking for pictures. I did that. They gave me different instructions. Those were silly and not applicable.

In the end they decided that inside that box was a deflector for an older model Dodge/Ram. OOPS. They are sending me another one no charge. They even explained how I could drill out the plastic inserts I already installed and take the wrong one off. I did not, made some different mounting brackets so I could use the truck and left it on for now.

All day. It took all day to mess with the darn thing and get frustrated during the process. Now ... the hood is HARD to close but can be slammed. I think the deflector interferes.

If you can't slam it but have to slam it then ...?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Tell you something else. I bought an AVS deflector for the hood. Went to put it on yesterday and it literally took all day. It's not that I'm retarded it's that the pictures and directions are beyond the confusing. After much consternation on the direction of these clamps over the hood, I called AVS. They ended up asking for pictures. I did that. They gave me different instructions. Those were silly and not applicable.

In the end they decided that inside that box was a deflector for an older model Dodge/Ram. OOPS. They are sending me another one no charge. They even explained how I could drill out the plastic inserts I already installed and take the wrong one off. I did not, made some different mounting brackets so I could use the truck and left it on for now.

All day. It took all day to mess with the darn thing and get frustrated during the process. Now ... the hood is HARD to close but can be slammed. I think the deflector interferes.

If you can't slam it but have to slam it then ...?
Capt,

Here's what I bought by mistake, didn't know it was going to fit right over the hood without clamps or screws. Uses 3M tape and fits perfectly and should prevent the thumb/hand prints as it covers the front portion of the hood nicely. Second benefit is that it doesn't cause that weird air flow on the windshield when running your wipers. Just thought if you have a chance to change your order. If interested I can post a close up image of it installed. AVS Aeroskin Hood Protector, Auto Ventshade Aeroskin Bug Deflectors

·
Registered
13,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah but it's not a deflector. It's a cover over your paint. Doubt it would have any aerodynamic change to the front end.

Protect from bugs right where it is - yes. Affect the windshield and top of the roof - no.

Like a windshield on a motorcycle that you look over, it sets up a wave that hopefully carries stuff over the windshield and roof instead of into it. I know little about the turbulence and rain issue as every deflector I had broke shortly after use. I just decided to try again.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Yes please do post that close up picture!! I just ordered mine Wednesday and wanna get an Idea of what it's gunna look like

·
Registered
127 Posts

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Thanks! That does look really good! I'm glad I ordered it now.... some bugs are now coming out how is it working?

·
Registered
127 Posts
So far so good. I didn't realize it wasn't a traditional bug deflector at time of order but like it better than traditional style...

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Ya that why I chose it normall ones aren't the greatest looking imo. This one is very low profile and if it works as advertised I would be very happy, we get wicked amounts of bugs here (black fly season in may and mosquitoes in june/early July then deer flies/horse flies in July august) the front of your truck and windshield you could wipe off pounds of bugs after a trip to the cottage!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Spent of few vacations at your beautiful Algonquin Provincial Park canoeing. Looking forward to coming back with the dogs sometime...

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
We have a couple vacation homes and a farm in that area north of Bellville Kingston area (which from the finger lakes you would probably drive right through to get to the park) very nice area just beautiful!! I can't wait till the lake thaws and warms up!! Nothing better than sitting on the dock, swimming with family and friends and getting just smashed at the same time!! Toil away all week here in the city thinking about that!! Lol

·
Registered
360 Posts
Weathertech makes a good one. I have used theirs for years and like the performance. It only took about 15 minutes to attach. i think it will help tremendously with the moon craters referenced.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I pull my hood down swiftly and hard but I don't " push through" just as my hands get toward the bottom I let go and the momentum of the hood is what makes it latch.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts