RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hate to start another thread, but there seems to be a lack of updates even though there are threads asking for updates. I had the old tune, considering the new, but lack of updates seems odd as people are pretty vocal about this topic. For those of you that have the new, wouldn't mind hearing from you. Just curious.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Went from the old tune and trans tune to the new one after my EGR recall. Love it so far. My opinion it runs better than the old tunes. Only thing i want different is the turbo brake activates around 2700 I believe instead of the old 2100.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
8,837 Posts
Hate to start another thread, but there seems to be a lock of updates even though there are threads asking for updates. I had the old tune, considering the new, but lack of updates seems odd as people are pretty vocal about this topic. For those of you that have the new, wouldn't mind hearing from you. Just curious.
What updates are you interested in? Maybe update to read camshaft sensor if reluctor wheel fails???

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
If you are referring to the 2019 and up trucks, GDE told me hopefully this summer. They are waiting on EPA testing for both the engine and trans tunes.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What updates are you interested in? Maybe update to read camshaft sensor if reluctor wheel fails???
Not sure how that was a relevant comment. People used to chime in often about their experience with GDE after they installed. I combed through numerous links, and there doesn't seem to be the same enthusiasm on commenting about their thoughts on the new tune. lucskoj added a relevant comment. Not sure how your comment is related to the GDE tune unless you are inferring that it is causing a reluctor wheel failure. Maybe I misinterpreted the intent of what you said, but it just seemed snarky and not helpful in anyway.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maybe I should clarify. I am referring to the EPA compliant tune apparently for 2014-2018 model years which combines everything into 1 combined tune. I have a 2014

·
Administrator
8,837 Posts
Maybe I should clarify. I am referring to the EPA compliant tune apparently for 2014-2018 model years which combines everything into 1 combined tune. I have a 2014
Not sure how that was a relevant comment. People used to chime in often about their experience with GDE after they installed. I combed through numerous links, and there doesn't seem to be the same enthusiasm on commenting about their thoughts on the new tune. lucskoj added a relevant comment. Not sure how your comment is related to the GDE tune unless you are inferring that it is causing a reluctor wheel failure. Maybe I misinterpreted the intent of what you said, but it just seemed snarky and not helpful in anyway.
I'll try again. What updates are you looking for? Do you mean updates from ecodiesel owners? If so, there are numerous posts indicating how great it is. I haven't seen much of anything negative.
If you think my reply was snarky, you are reading it wrong.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
From what I was told before I picked up the 2020 it is not an all in one. You can do just the engine tune or trans tune or both the engine and trans tune. You no longer need to buy a ECM just an up-loader to install it. This way you can put the factory tunes back if you need to take it in the shop. OUCH!!! Introductory special price of $1100 Regular price $1300 add in the trans, engine braking and regen notification and you are at @ $1260. I hope the flash tool is included if noot add in $195 for that. I have one for the trans tune on my 2015 if it will work for the 2019 and up trucks?
Ram 1500 (DS) EcoDiesel Compliant Engine/Trans Tune Combo – Green Diesel Engineering

·
Administrator
8,837 Posts
I realize you are referring to the EPA approved GDE tune. It would be nice if GDE could incorporate the W58 recall into their tune and I thought that's where you were going with your post.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I realize you are referring to the EPA approved GDE tune. It would be nice if GDE could incorporate the W58 recall into their tune and I thought that's where you were going with your post.
Thanks for your clarification. I'm good. I have read every thread regarding the thoughts on the new tune> There are tons of "I love my GDE tune" regarding the old tune. I just thought comments on the new tune seem lacking, therefore I was just hoping to prompt more who have installed the new EPA compliant tune to give their thoughts. Thanks!!

·
Registered
167 Posts
I've had the new tune in my 2018 for the last ~1200 miles. I'm comparing it to the factory tune:
  • GDE is more responsive, no lag felt
  • unfortunately mileage is about the same. I was hoping to get 2-3 mpg better but I'm only getting about 0.5 mpg better
  • there's a weird issue when first driving the truck in the cold (transmission temp ~86° F at startup). I can't really coast. If I let off the accelerator the truck slows way down, almost as if it downshifted. Truck resumes normal once it's up to operating temp.

·
Super Moderator
2,601 Posts
The main reason I believe you haven’t seen the number of comments on the new tune is it’s only been available for a short period of time. Therefore not as many with it to make comments.

·
Registered
2016 Ram 1500 Eco Diesel, Blue, Big Horn, Ram Boxes, 4x4, 3.55 gear ratio,
24 Posts
Hey Bruce I am with you on the feedback. I agree there is surprisingly little feedback other than guys saying "I installed it today" or "this week" or an "hour ago". I really would love to hear more from the guys that have had it now for a while and put some actual miles on it in various conditions and get their true review positive or negative. Just be honest. I have heard enough from the guys that have drank the Kool Aid. Now I wanna hear some real feedback. I am sure it is a great tune and a huge improvement overstock but I wanna see what people are really saying. was it really worth $1100. Not trying to be harsh but sometimes we all get our loyalties and try to defend products or companies we believe in but don't provide any realistic feed back and don't want to admit if you feel you made a decision you are not as impressed by as you were hoping. I am guilty of it too. Not trying to bash GDE, i am sure they are a fine company and great reputation but none of us are perfect, and when somethings sound too good to be true sometimes they are.

Bravo2, thanks for your assessment this really helps to hear. Sounds like you are still happy with your purchase but it was not perfect. That is the feedback I am expecting along with some guys that are going to respond and say it is perfect and I am a fool or something for suggesting otherwise. Just looking for an honest assessment of the product as I do with any high priced purchase I make. Thank you. Sorry Bruce not trying to hijack your post just trying to agree and knew i cannot be alone.

·
Administrator
8,837 Posts
Hey Bruce I am with you on the feedback. I agree there is surprisingly little feedback other than guys saying "I installed it today" or "this week" or an "hour ago". I really would love to hear more from the guys that have had it now for a while and put some actual miles on it in various conditions and get their true review positive or negative. Just be honest. I have heard enough from the guys that have drank the Kool Aid. Now I wanna hear some real feedback. I am sure it is a great tune and a huge improvement overstock but I wanna see what people are really saying. was it really worth $1100. Not trying to be harsh but sometimes we all get our loyalties and try to defend products or companies we believe in but don't provide any realistic feed back and don't want to admit if you feel you made a decision you are not as impressed by as you were hoping. I am guilty of it too. Not trying to bash GDE, i am sure they are a fine company and great reputation but none of us are perfect, and when somethings sound too good to be true sometimes they are.

Bravo2, thanks for your assessment this really helps to hear. Sounds like you are still happy with your purchase but it was not perfect. That is the feedback I am expecting along with some guys that are going to respond and say it is perfect and I am a fool or something for suggesting otherwise. Just looking for an honest assessment of the product as I do with any high priced purchase I make. Thank you. Sorry Bruce not trying to hijack your post just trying to agree and knew i cannot be alone.
"drank the Kool Aid" Lol. Perhaps you need to pay closer attention to member posts. :)

·
Registered
195 Posts
I'm curious about how clean the engine oil stays on the new EPA tune since EGR is in a working state (although modified from stock)? With the old tune I have, my oil stays very clean, even after 10K miles.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well I will start the naysayers and probably get vilified for it, but so be it. I’m not much of a poster, I mainly am just trying to learn things.
With all the rage about GDE and their tune I finally decided to pull the trigger. Now, let me just inform you up from about how on top of this is was...... I didn’t know about the switch from the Hot Tune (which was why I really wanted) to this compliant tune. I got around to installing it with much anticipation. I was personally disappointed. I wanted the fuel economy and the other clean benefits, I really didn’t care too much about the 0-60 times, acceleration times, etc, as I am. It out trying to win races.
I did notice the trans being different and more responsive, which I like, it took a lot if not all of the starting lag out and didn’t have to press the accelerator 2/3 of the way down to get moving. Other than that, not much else changed other than it is a little quicker, it all in all I wouldn’t have paid $1100.00 for it had I know what the end result would be. I recently got the EGR recall done, (reflashed back to stock before I took it in) and haven’t even worried about putting the GDE tune back in.

just my non mechanical $.02

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I will start the naysayers and probably get vilified for it, but so be it. I’m not much of a poster, I mainly am just trying to learn things.
With all the rage about GDE and their tune I finally decided to pull the trigger. Now, let me just inform you up from about how on top of this is was...... I didn’t know about the switch from the Hot Tune (which was why I really wanted) to this compliant tune. I got around to installing it with much anticipation. I was personally disappointed. I wanted the fuel economy and the other clean benefits, I really didn’t care too much about the 0-60 times, acceleration times, etc, as I am. It out trying to win races.
I did notice the trans being different and more responsive, which I like, it took a lot if not all of the starting lag out and didn’t have to press the accelerator 2/3 of the way down to get moving. Other than that, not much else changed other than it is a little quicker, it all in all I wouldn’t have paid $1100.00 for it had I know what the end result would be. I recently got the EGR recall done, (reflashed back to stock before I took it in) and haven’t even worried about putting the GDE tune back in.

just my non mechanical $.02
No reason to get villified. You gave your honest opinion which is what we are looking for.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have also been after some feedback. I have maxcare till 100k and just hit 37k last week. Was thinking about going this route just because I didnt necessarily want to deal with block off plates for the egr, and having to un block it to take it back to the dealer, but I am still on the fence as to which direction I want to go. I havent heard anything bad about the new tune either, and based on the sale on it, I assume it hasnt been very well picked up just yet.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts