RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I’ve been closely following the struggles of GDE with CARB/EPA, and like all of us wish Keith luck getting new-and-approved tunes back on the market as soon as possible.

I understand from GDE responses elsewhere that the trans-tune will likely be approved in its current form by CARB upon the completion of a $150k shakedown review process.

Does this mean that the trans tune is currently unavailable to everyone in the US until then, or only in California?

With recent group success in matching stock ECMs for dealer visits, and upcoming EGR recall, I’d like to finally get AEM completed and FCA notified for the payout, but while an ECM swap would keep the truck running clean, I’d hate to lose my trans tune for a few months until/if CARB ever stops dragging their feet.

·
Registered
3,997 Posts

I understand from GDE responses elsewhere that the trans-tune will likely be approved in its current form by CARB upon the completion of a $150k shakedown review process.

........., I’d hate to lose my trans tune for a few months until/if CARB ever stops dragging their feet.
Not sure primer but , when you got your transmission tune ,
it was said that you need to use the tuner that came with the tune to
flash stock transmission tune back to the truck anyways before dealer visits
and the GDE transmission tune will be stored by you , in your tuner .
if you do not , you risk your tuner to get "locked " and become useless ,
when you get back home from dealer you load your transmission tune back in .

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure primer but , when you got your transmission tune ,
it was said that you need to use the tuner that came with the tune to
flash stock transmission tune back to the truck anyways before dealer visits
and the GDE transmission tune will be stored by you , in your tuner .
if you do not , you risk your tuner to get "locked " and become useless ,
when you get back home from dealer you load your transmission tune back in .
Yep, I understand that the stock tune needs to be replaced before an update like AEM. Unfortunately, the normal procedure would then have been to use the handheld to read the AEM trans tune, send it to GDE for adjustment, and finally write that over the AEM trans tune.

The pre-AEM trans tune can’t be written over the AEM trans tune, hence my question about current availability... here’s hoping there’s a happy answer!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Wait, I’m confused. If one were to flash the AEM tune back on the transmission prior to a dealer visit, if the dealer flashed the truck, one would be able to restore the GDE tune from the hand-held tuner, right? I say this because I only got the transmission tune after I got the AEM update.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Wait, I’m confused. If one were to flash the AEM tune back on the transmission prior to a dealer visit, if the dealer flashed the truck, one would be able to restore the GDE tune from the hand-held tuner, right? I say this because I only got the transmission tune after I got the AEM update.
If the dealer updates the software to a different calibration then the modified tune needs updated to match. Aka dont let a dealership flash your truck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts