RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I would like to get the emissions fix so i can get the settlement money. however I want to get my GDE back in as soon as it is done. Looks like GDE is done updating for a while. Would it work to buy a ECM to get the fix on then swap back in my GDE tuned one? what are other options?

Thanks

·
Registered
721 Posts
I think that if you don't have 2 ECU's you won't be able to do it unless someone else can clone your GDE tune off your original ECU. If you buy a spare ECU and plug it in, it won't work as it's tied to your VIN (I think).

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
Just need to buy a used ECM and somehow have your VIN and injector codes written to that ECM, then take truck to the dealer. Several members are trying to write that information with the AlfaOBD app.

·
Registered
12,548 Posts
Welcome to the forum - First post.

As stated above, buying another ECM is not the complete answer as it is not just a plug and play thing. I would still try and see if there is any reasonable way you can get maybe a used one and try to see if it will run to get you to the dealer. If not, well you tried. Keep an eye out here for developments on whether some here learn to get them working. Surely the dealer can but you would have to get your truck to that dealer with or without a working ECM and then make up some story., pay their price, then get the AEM.

Don't let them flash over your GDE. That would be a shame.

There is another tuning option but I/we don't recommend it. Do hear it works. Just talked with a guy I know who lost his GDE to a re-flash while getting a turbo replaced. He then is using the other guy to at least have something. Best as I can relate. You are in a hard place right now and if you wait past the AEM time then that place is harder.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Hello All,

I would like to get the emissions fix so i can get the settlement money. however I want to get my GDE back in as soon as it is done. Looks like GDE is done updating for a while. Would it work to buy a ECM to get the fix on then swap back in my GDE tuned one? what are other options?

Thanks
You would need a dealer that is willing to update a blank ECM. Otherwise you're SOL as far as the tune goes. If you are on good terms with your dealer and he is Mod friendly you can do it.

·
Registered
3,246 Posts
You would need a dealer that is willing to update a blank ECM. Otherwise you're SOL as far as the tune goes. If you are on good terms with your dealer and he is Mod friendly you can do it.
I know you are Mopar employee , so you know a lot ,
do you think the guys that are trying to find a way to flash VIN and injector codes to a used
stock ECM, ( or even tuned ECM ), using ALFAOBD are in a dead end street , ref: this thread ; https://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/ram-1500-diesel-general-discussion/66602-programming-new-ecm-ed-alphaobd.html
you suggest we need a blank ECM , is that the only way in your opinion ??

1 - 7 of 7 Posts