RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone use this device to determine trailer weight, tongue weight, etc? They claim it is within 5% of actual and loads can be measured parked (tongue) and in motion (trailer GVW) and displayed on an iPhone or android. I looked online for a review by someone who compared it to actual known weights of trailers and tongues but couldn't find one. Did find a comparison to a Sherline tongue weight scale and it was very close to the BetterWeigh. Also, it appears that Curt (known for hitches, balls, etc) has bought this technology from whomever distributed the unit as "HaulGauge".

Why do I ask...I'm going on a motorcycle trip this summer with two buddies and we have a 7x14 tandem axle enclosed cargo trailer to hold 3 large bikes and gear. The trailer weighs 2,100 lbs and the bikes weigh a total of 2,300 lbs. Add a bit gear, tools, chocks, HD straps, etc and our total towed weight will be about ~4,700 lbs. I'm told that the tongue weight should be 10-12% of the GVW of the trailer (loaded) which would make the ideal tongue weight 470-546 lbs. Due to the size of the bikes and interior dimensions of the trailer we are not able to adjust the position of the bikes. If the tongue weight is not appropriate we'd have to add weight to the front or rear of the trailer to make the tongue weight correct and safe. We have only hauled this trailer with 3 bikes in it once with my buddy's 3/4 ton GMC diesel which had no problems. I just hate guessing with precious cargo ;).
BetterWeigh™ Smartphone Tongue Weight Scale

side note: I'm really looking forward to seeing how the ED pulls this load and what MPG I'll see.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
There are a few tongue weight measuring hitches out there.
Its more work but Suggest you use a cat scale near you.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Care to elaborate? Why?

·
Registered
4,454 Posts
CAT scale is usually around $12 for first weigh and $2 for a 2nd weigh. Easier and cheaper.

Tongue weight should be 10-15%, with 12% being pretty ideal. It's less of an issue with a lighter load such as yours, but still good to get it right.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I would expect that you are loading two in front side by side and one in the rear with the front wheel between those two.
You may have more then 10-12% tongue weight, do you have air bags or overloads?
I like the idea of the hitch weigh indicators.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to all
Bounty Hunter, Then I’d have to go there every time my configuration changes; 3 bikes, 2 bikes, other cargo, etc.
Arvid, I’ve seen their products. Seem well respected by trailering folks. I’ll check em out further.
Lou, correct on the load configuration. I may have more than 12% or less than 10%. I just want to KNOW what the tongue weight is so I can add weight to correct so my long trip is safe and I get the best MPG possible. Too much $ invested in the bikes to guess or assume.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
On my side of the state there is plently of dot scales near me that I use to weight. Its never been an issue other than a semi rolling back into me at a stop light once, but that could have happened anywhere dumbass let off his brakes cleaning up coffee he spilled.

·
Registered
211 Posts
How will measuring the weight on a dot scale tell him how to adjust his load for the tongue weight?
doesn’t it just tell you your overall weight?

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know I'm well under the GVW for the trailer when loaded. Nor am I close to the tow limit for the ED. That is not my concern. My concern is tongue weight.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Tells you axle weights as go over it which is exactly what you need.
His trailer weight will remain the same regardless how he displaces his load toward the front or back of the trailer which effects his tongue weight.
too much tongue weight or too little tongue weight is not good.

·
Registered
25 Posts
His trailer weight will remain the same regardless how he displaces his load toward the front or back of the trailer which effects his tongue weight.
Too much is always better than not enough.....

·
Registered
211 Posts
yes it’s better but not good if it’s above his tongue weight rating for his truck or hitch receiver.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
You check axle weights on the truck and trailer its extremely easy to due but it does take weighing the truck twice once without the trailer hooked up. Then you reweigh with the trailer hooked up the amount of weight the truck gains is the tongue weight. Its the quickest and easiest way to check tongue weight and see how the weight is being transferred.

·
Registered
4,454 Posts
How will measuring the weight on a dot scale tell him how to adjust his load for the tongue weight?
doesn’t it just tell you your overall weight?
Requires weighing the truck empty as well. With the empty weight, and the axle weights when hooked up, you can calculate the tongue weight.

Papacap, I think you're overthinking this. Once you weigh each configuration once or twice, you'll have an idea of how to load each time without going to the scales. You'll also get a good idea of how much squat on the rear of the truck to look for with proper tongue weight. It all comes with experience.

10-15% is a wide enough range, and your overall load isn't very heavy,

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I’m not over thinking it. Y’all are. I just wanted to know if anyone had used the Curt BetterWeigh product. Read my first post again. I’ll have close to $100K in motorcycles in my trailer traveling a total of 2,500 miles. I’m not into guessing or using the “eyeball method” to determine the success of my trip. I greatly appreciate all the input and have considered incorporating a few of your ideas.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
4,424 Posts
I’m not over thinking it. Y’all are. I just wanted to know if anyone had used the Curt BetterWeigh product. Read my first post again. I’ll have close to $100K in motorcycles in my trailer traveling a total of 2,500 miles. I’m not into guessing or using the “eyeball method” to determine the success of my trip. I greatly appreciate all the input and have considered incorporating a few of your ideas.
Never used Better weigh product but I do keep a measuring tape in the truck. Sin e the loads I trailer change constantly, I take measurement of the front wheel opening height before I drop the trailer on, then once there trailer is loaded I'll check it again to know if I need to adjust the WDH. Once you get the WDH in the ballpark, you'll get feedback feel for load and can correct for it. I'll almost always do short shakedown of the set up then stop a bit down the road and double check everything.
As Bounty pointed out earlier, the amount of weight you'll have in the trailer gives you some wiggle room on the set up. I understand your concern about wanting it right as I've been there with precious cargo. only I was every bit of 8K lbs and I would have most likely made the 6 o'clock news if lost the load. Once you get few miles behind on the clock you'll be more at ease. Post up any concerns, there is a lot of experience here that can answer your concerns

·
Registered
211 Posts
With over 100k in cargo I understand your concern. A hitch that will tell you right away what your tongue weight is is the easiest. With 100k in cargo I doubt saving a few bucks going to a weigh station loading and unloading the trailer is worth his time. The weigh safe hitch or the device you’re looking at is the way to go.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
With over 100k in cargo I understand your concern. A hitch that will tell you right away what your tongue weight is is the easiest. With 100k in cargo I doubt saving a few bucks going to a weigh station loading and unloading the trailer is worth his time. The weigh safe hitch or the device you’re looking at is the way to go.
I agree and thanks. That is my plan.

1 - 20 of 19 Posts