RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Added LED tape lights to friends truck today. Granted this is a 2500 but the same can be done on a 1500 also.
The tape is stuck to the underside of the top rail where it meets the sidewall. I ran it the whole length of the bed on both sides. Used a toggle with an emergency shut off cover to keep accidentally turn on of the lights. I powered them from the 12V from the trailer plug.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Looks good! I did the same on my last truck. But I used a 3 way switch and a plunger for the tailgate. So I had On-Off-On with tailgate open.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I am planning on doing the same to my 3500, just not enough time in the day. I have seen where a few folks had good luck running them off the cargo light wiring in the door sill, then they can use the cargo light switch, plus it will come on with the doors open as well. If I get the time, going to try and do it that way and see if it will work, the canbus is really picky. I like those strips you used.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I want to do the same thing as this, but with a momentary NC PTSP switch like this one: SAYAL - PUSH SWITCH MOM 1P1T NC THR SOL 7MM BLK CAP 1A/125VAC installed somewhere in the Tailgate area so when it's closed, the switch is pressed. Wired properly then the lights will only come on when the tailgate is open.

I'd rather use the magnetic sensors but they are fairly low current or large in size. I'd have to see how many LEDs are on the strip for that to work

·
Registered
929 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Looks good! I did the same on my last truck. But I used a 3 way switch and a plunger for the tailgate. So I had On

Do you have photos of plunger install?

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Added LED tape lights to friends truck today. Granted this is a 2500 but the same can be done on a 1500 also.
The tape is stuck to the underside of the top rail where it meets the sidewall. I ran it the whole length of the bed on both sides. Used a toggle with an emergency shut off cover to keep accidentally turn on of the lights. I powered them from the 12V from the trailer plug.

Thanks to your suggestion, I completed the bed light installation.

Only have them on the driver side, I'll see if I need them on the other, but I have a swing box on the passenger side and I'm not sure I'll need them in there anyways.

Thanks again for the idea to wire them on the trailer outlet.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Any reason this configuration wouldn't work to keep added draw on the Body controller to a min? This is how I wired my E-Fan in my Cherokee to keep electrical feedback to the PCM down..Computer can control it, or the switch...

Bed Lights.png

I was going to wire in fog lights the same way...power from both the running lights, and a switch

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
slduus , look at video in post # 6 , very good video .
your power from batterie shoud go to 30 and not 87 ,
because the 5 pin relay gives juice from 30 to 87A when 86 and 85 are not connected .
then when you turn the switch ON to connect 86 with 85
the power will flow from 30 to 87 .

turn switch OFF again , no more flow from 86 to 85
the juice flows from 30 to 87A .
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
little detail , if the relay has a diode in it , it is important to have the + on pin 86 , and pin 85 be the ground .
if you are sure you have no diode , 86 and 85 can be interchangeable .

as written in here ( before the second photo and previous drawing ) : https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2017/09/07/understanding-relays-part-3

""Attach one spade connector to relay terminal 86 (coil +). Attach the other to relay terminal 85 (coil ground). Touch the 86 wire to the battery’s positive post, and the 85 wire to the battery’s negative post. Actually, unless the relay has a diode in it, it won’t matter if the polarity is switched; the electromagnet will be energized regardless.""

·
Super Moderator
3,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Any reason this configuration wouldn't work to keep added draw on the Body controller to a min? This is how I wired my E-Fan in my Cherokee to keep electrical feedback to the PCM down..Computer can control it, or the switch...

View attachment 80306

I was going to wire in fog lights the same way...power from both the running lights, and a switch
The above will work for getting the bed light to be selectable between coming on with the switch or cargo light.

For your fog lights, I would be hesitant to just tap power off the running lights, it could cause issues the CANbus monitoring of the running lights. If you could find the running light wire that goes to the 7 pin trailer connector, it comes out of the Power Distribution Module (fuse box, see the PDF for the plug and pin#). View attachment TRAILER-TOW-SYSTEM.pdf

your power from batterie shoud go to 30 and not 87 ,
because the 5 pin relay gives juice from 30 to 87A when 86 and 85 are not connected .
then when you turn the switch ON to connect 86 with 85 the power will flow from 30 to 87 .
turn switch OFF again , no more flow from 86 to 85 the juice flows from 30 to 87A .
His wiring diagram is correct for switching the bed lights for turning on with the switch or they'll come on with the cargo light.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts